Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys can see, I'm new to this group. I do plan on participating a lot as I love the topics on here.

I need your help, assistance, and or suggestions on this one. So I took my manual 2004 Mazda 6S into the dealer last week to get the faulty cd changer fixed. I also wanted them to look at the car because it was accelerating very weird. I would shift and accelerate as usual but the rpms would jump up, then come back down and raise as normal. I wouldn't be pressing or releasing the gas petal any more than usual. Very strange.
Then, within the next week I suffered bad power loss. First I wasn't able to go over 60 until i drove the car for 15mins. Then I couldn't go over 50, then finally over 20. (I did make an appointment to bring it in). So....two days ago i brought it in and the dealer said I neede an entire new clutch including the pressure plate, bearing, etc.
The dealer wants to charge me over $1,000 for parts and labor. Well, I bought the OEM clutch kit including the pressure plate online for $180.00 cheaper than what the dealer wanted. Now I have to pay labor.
Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can get away with not paying the dealer a penny to fix the clutch? My car is still under warantee. I have 35K miles and a 50K warrantee?
PLEASE HELP. THANKS SO MUCH

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You can't. Clutch is covered under the 12month/12k mile warranty. Go to therpmstore.com and order a clutchmasters stage2 with the rpm flywheel...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hmm. Id try and talk to your dealer. I have seen people here get theirs replaced that late. I just had mine done at 25,200 without a question all under warranty. If anything, show them that the clutch problem is widely reported and is not your fault and ask them to maybe do the labor for free instead. Just bargain. Maybe even call mazdausa. I wouldnt give up on it that easily thats for sure. make a case.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The stock clutch in this car sucks. If you abuse it even a tiny amount it will go out on you. Bascially all you can do is tell them that you want to know why the clutch failed so quickly. They will say it is your fault that you burnt it up. Tell them you didnt, and go from there. If you have a nice dealer they might fix it. If you do have to pay, get a better clutch than the stock.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What's up Dabears2k? No newb slam that he should have searched it 1st? I figured that you had a hot key set up for that one. I'm writing this down! :laugh: (just kidding, man. ;) )

Seriously, though, search "clutch". I had mine replaced under warranty recently at 45,000 miles! There is a growing number of like cases that should blow a dealer's "it's a 12/12 issue" right out of the water! :yesnod: Good luck!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had the exact same issue as you a few months back right before my clutch went out. i came on here and found out that it was a mazda oem problem not particularly my driving. so i bought the exedy flywheel and clutch and searched around for competing offers on the labor eventually found some to do it for 250, the parts cost me about 680 so all in all i spent about the same as i would have with the dealership who wanted to charge me 960 parts and labor, and i have a have a higher quality product and better performing also. i would see if you can return the oem kit. as a side note i didnt need the new flywheel but i had it done to save the cost in labor of having to do it later since i plan on modding my car much more. you could get away with just buying a clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts