Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for some of the more experienced tuners. I read that the DSM BOV is almost the same as ours only metal and it dosent leak. I purchased one to test the difference between stock and the DSM. I had to set up an elaborate piping systen to adapt the large port on each BOV to be under pressure. I then applied vacume to the valve and noted at what pressure they start to bleed boost. To my suprise the stock valve when to -11psi before it leaked and maxed open -15. The DSM leaked at -10psi and also maxed out at -15 but it was open way more. The valve was used, so that may account for the 1psi difference but maybe a new one would be the same. I would assume that it could handle more flow at it's max opening which may help performance when shifting by preventing compressor stall. I have heard that there is an inexpensive modification that enables you to change boost levels with this valve. I like that with some black paint it would look stock, it's even a little shorter that the stock valve. I noticed that aftermarket valves are so big that they push on the intercooler cover. No such problems with this one, only modification made to fit is the holes need to be reamed out slightly. I only installed it for fit. Any comments on where I can find this info.

·
Registered
851 Posts
From my understanding of your post, you set up a rig to generate pressure on the bov correct? what psi was this at?
then you hooked up a vaccume source so that it would open? correct?

unless you were generating around 15psi on the bov you really won't be able to test if it actually leaks accurately. because during positive boost(or wide open throttle) there is pressure on the diaphram(the nipple that comes out the top of the bov) that assist in holding the piston down.

so if i understood your post correctly all you are doing is putting a vaccume on the diaphram to get it to open up?

1g bovs hold to around 18-19psi. it's been a proven thing over and over again in the dsm world. crushing it properly increase it's holding power to around 20-24psi.

·
Registered
820 Posts
ive sold a couple modded DSM valves for the MS6 already. You can ask around, they seem to like them just fine. Mine's been working great for about 9k miles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ive sold a couple modded DSM valves for the MS6 already. You can ask around, they seem to like them just fine. Mine's been working great for about 9k miles.
[/b]
Are the bolt holes the same or what needs changed? I thought about getting a 1g bov because I know they are good nd it seems like they would almost fit perfectly

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The holes on the DSM BOV are slightly farther apart, if you use a drill or a small round file you just enlarge the hole a little untill the bolts line upwith the flange on the car. The recerc hose and pressure hose line up perfect.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if you open the holes, is the stock bov still able to bolt back up? are there nuts on the back, or is its screwed in etc.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
the holes you open up are on the dsm bov not your speed 6 it is an easy mod and everything is bolt up after that.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
thanks for the help! I'm trying to track down some of the guys on the forum who previously cleaned up and sold these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts