Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back I backed out of a parking space and hit a pole in the parking lot (blind spot on the backup screen)--pushed in the corner of the bumper and broke a taillight, not a big deal. Replaced the taillight myself and popped the bumper corner back out, it just had a little paint scrape. Two weeks later the Blind Spot Monitoring system stopped working (BSM light flashes). Dealer is telling me that the modules on BOTH sides of the rear need to be replaced at a cost of $2216. Can anyone please tell me there is a way I can replace this myself or otherwise do it for less than two thousand dollars? This is a 2014 6.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thank you. Still quite pricey, but a ton better. What about aligning the modules, I heard that needs to be done by the dealer, is that true?

Truth is, this was probably a 2 mph hit that did this. If that's all it takes to destroy these things, not sure it's worth replacing it at all. Seems nuts to have every little bumper tap turn into a $1000+ repair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The replacement modules do need to be calibrated. My dealer had to keep my car overnight even, probably because the 2017 and up had slightly different settings. But that is some hefty labor cost in the estimate. The monitors carry MSRP at 640 ea x2 (left and right). Glad I had my dealer replace mine while my car is still in warrenty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same issue and had the dealer install the replacement unit. The dealer was asking a MSRP for part GJR9-67-Y30G, so I purchased same unit from internet store of another dealer for $425 and had my local dealership install it for $100. In my case, there was no calibration needed.

The same units are also being sold for around 100 dollars on eBay with warranty, hindsight, this is how I would proceed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
dave in edmonds
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing