Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to installing them this weekend. I found that the driver's side was hella easy to get to from the engine bay with needle nose pliers once the airbox is out, even with the resonator still in.
[attachmentid=16758]

All it takes is an eyedropper, black paint and a careful hand.

Before:
[attachmentid=16759]

After:
[attachmentid=16760]
[attachmentid=16761]
[attachmentid=16762]
[attachmentid=16763]

[attachmentid=16764]
[attachmentid=16765]
[attachmentid=16766]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I love how it looks from the pics! Great job! I dont have the balls to try it on my clear sides LOL. I'm afraid I'd fudge it up and bam, Im down 40 bux!

[/b]
agreed, the looks are frickin sweet as hell... i have an extra set of clear side markers that i am kinda tempted to tinker around with and do this with. but i dunno yet, maybe if i'm bored enough... :hoho:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
how exactly did you do that? I'm now tempted to buy a set of clears and try to get them done that way but on my bright island blue hatch.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
looks nice. better than my tinted sidemarkers id say.

·
Registered
172 Posts
could you tell us exactly how you did it so we could duplicate it ourselfs.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I have to say that looks fantastic,could you please explain how you got it done? :dmetal:

·
Registered
978 Posts
I like yours better than mine...I used niteshades to tint mine on the outside, but it looks like you did the inside. Smart!

anyway, I'll post some pics to compare...hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Nice lokking hatches guys.

Icecream, another great idea. Def. better than the niteshades, overlays, or the clear markers on their own. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with sidemarkers anymore (full BR bumper).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I thought they turned out pretty nice too.

I didn't want to paint the outside of the lense cuz I was afraid after washing the car over time it would start to wear off and show scratches in the paint. Plus I wanted the light from the bulb to be as bright as normal. Sad to say though I put the crome covered ones from www.autolumination.com in there and they're horrible as far as light output.

As far as how to do it, I just used an old eyedropper I had laying around to squirt the paint into the housing, then rotate the lense and let gravity work the paint all over the reflective surface. It just takes a steady hand and patience. Just make sure you don't get any paint on the front clear cover. I ruined my 1st set like that, but the 2nd set came out flawless, so it takes some practice.

After the inside was done, I let it dry for a couple days. Then siliconed the outside just in case and masked off the front lense and sprayed the sides and inside lip with black paint. I was thinking of using chrome paint to help get more light to reflect off the sides, but i wanted a completely black look.

[attachmentid=16781]

-Nik

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Looks good, what type of paint did you use?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good, what type of paint did you use?
[/b]
I used what was left of the Duplicolor touch up paint i had laying around. Glossy black.

Another nice thing is you could use whatever color your car is and have it blend in perfectly. Blue, yellow, red side markers.

-Nik

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
so you just stick the eye dropper in and tilt it to the sidethen slowly let the paint work itself around? damn that must take a lot of patience.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i was thinking of doing this but had knocked around this idea:

partially submerge the sidemarker into black paint, lens side up, so the paint fills the entire inside of the sidemarker, just coveirng the bezel. this would get a nice even coat of paint. then just let it dry lens side up.

one caveat, you'd waste a lot of black paint.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looks great man! I did it the nightshades way and it looks ok but this is completly different!!

Props!

·
Registered
141 Posts
patience is the key.......good looking markers.....i just used niteshades.....still looks sick but....ur shit looks hell of alot better... :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very clean. Looks great on black 6!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks really good, could you by chance post some pics at night, I'm considering doing this but am a little worried about luminosity, don't want to be hastled by the man you know.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts