Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked the billet aluminum Mr Grille inserts, BUT I've been trying to find them in black. Does anyone know of anything out there that is black or gunmetal or something similar? I'd rather purchase something already black rather than buy the mr grille and try painting it which I feel won't stay well, and I don't really want to venture into powder coating for something like this...
any ideas?
I did some searches and all I came up with was the aluminum mr grille for the billet style grilles...
thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump....

anyone out there have any ideas on this???

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
your best bet would be to get that Mr. Grille and powdercoat it... nothing is offered that I have seen (ebay and other websites) that even comes close to this product, let alone color differentiation.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The Mr. Grille billet grille would be really easy to paint or powder coat. Have you contacted them and asked if they can do it for you. I will add that you will barely be able to see the grille if you paint it, but it might be a kind of cool "stealth" thing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check this out.
www.grilleguy.com
I purchased a black powder coated grille from them and the quality is excellent.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Check this out.
www.grilleguy.com
I purchased a black powder coated grille from them and the quality is excellent.
[/b]
i've seen that grille before on ebaymotors... it's not bad and looks pretty dependable from the overview of it! I do agree that powdercoating will make the grille less noticeable...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just made a 4 piece grill set that uses the stock clips and actually lets air to your cold air intake...the two side grills dont zip tie on..the center one does...I think i'm gonna start offering these, with powder coating options...includes the three lower pieces and a piece for behind the main grill...gonna offer differnet hole (and slot ) sizes and configurations. See pics for my first proto type

i've seen that grille before on ebaymotors... it's not bad and looks pretty dependable from the overview of it! I do agree that powdercoating will make the grille less noticeable...
[/b]
these clip on like stock

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
[attachmentid=16756]

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
lower center piece

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
lower center piece
[/b]
well, it looks good, and if you offered it in different colors, that would be a huge bonus. but my first question is who are you? I see you have 2 posts (we all have to start somewhere) so it'd be good to know where you and your product is coming from.

·
Registered
389 Posts
unerstandable...i've been on other lists and forums (monte carlo, and early bronco) for a long time and know the fustrations of new people and fly by night sellers... i'm not looking to start a business here but maybe fund some other projects on my 05' Hatch Back 6. While working on my Bronco i've learned alot about welding fabricating one off parts (i'm doing a frame off resto on a 1976 bronco show/crawler truck)
I live in New York and work as an architect!
Starting a new website metalarchitect.com

just another car guy interested in learning more about a type of car (foreign/front wheel drive) that i know little about.

I'll answer any more questions and post more pics of the grills and some other pieces that are in the works as they finish.

well, it looks good, and if you offered it in different colors, that would be a huge bonus. but my first question is who are you? I see you have 2 posts (we all have to start somewhere) so it'd be good to know where you and your product is coming from.
[/b]

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
unerstandable...i've been on other lists and forums (monte carlo, and early bronco) for a long time and know the fustrations of new people and fly by night sellers... i'm not looking to start a business here but maybe fund some other projects on my 05' Hatch Back 6. While working on my Bronco i've learned alot about welding fabricating one off parts (i'm doing a frame off resto on a 1976 bronco show/crawler truck)
I live in New York and work as an architect!
Starting a new website metalarchitect.com

just another car guy interested in learning more about a type of car (foreign/front wheel drive) that i know little about.

I'll answer any more questions and post more pics of the grills and some other pieces that are in the works as they finish.
[/b]
well it's good to have you aboard our mazda6ers... :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
absolutely! especially if you have fabrication skills :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just made a 4 piece grill set that uses the stock clips and actually lets air to your cold air intake...the two side grills dont zip tie on..the center one does...I think i'm gonna start offering these, with powder coating options...includes the three lower pieces and a piece for behind the main grill...gonna offer differnet hole (and slot ) sizes and configurations. See pics for my first proto type
these clip on like stock
[/b]
not to hijack...that looks totally sweet, but do you have a CAI...which one? I did that with the stock black piece...actually cut every diamond out of the insert...and my car started thrwoing CELs and bucking like crazy from the created turbulence or the "forced air". Maybe because the vents you created arent as oversized and drastic as mine were. Well, I ended up buying new stock inserts, just curious how yours works

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...7518&hl=CAI

·
Registered
389 Posts
I thought about cutting the stock one...and still might (like yours). my car did stumble ant anything over 30mph and if i was driving into the wind it got worse even just sitting at a light.

i made a deflector so that the air wasn;t blowing directly on the filter (i think they sell something similar)

I'm hoping the Cpe fix fixes this and brings the air/fuel back to normal cus i;m looking into buying the tunable fix.

not to hijack...that looks totally sweet, but do you have a CAI...which one? I did that with the stock black piece...actually cut every diamond out of the insert...and my car started thrwoing CELs and bucking like crazy from the created turbulence or the "forced air". Maybe because the vents you created arent as oversized and drastic as mine were. Well, I ended up buying new stock inserts, just curious how yours works

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...7518&hl=CAI

[/b]

·
Registered
536 Posts
these clip on like stock
[/b]

Count me in as wanting a set of silver inserts!!! For sure!! I have been messing with those inserts for a long time looking for a solution like yours and I am willing to take a chance!

PM me with details, cost, paypal all that jazz!

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only reason I see for changing the grills and painting them black, is because you want the stock look with that suttle difference...when people look at first glance it ain't flashy...but at closer look its not stock (kinda cleaver) also the ones like i made (or slapstick)let more air to your CAI and engine bay.
I like the idea of a bunch of slight mods that as a whole, create a "new look"
but whos knows...my grills are silver :D
what i dont understand is why do this if you are just gonna paint it black? might as well keep the stock pieces, no??
[/b]

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are you still thinking about making some to sell?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts