Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at Bilstein website and entered 2005 Mazda 6, they have listing for shocks, 2 part #'s for the front,1 for the rear. They are all Heavy Duty use, no pricing or availability shown. I was hoping to see a sport listing

·
Registered
900 Posts
That is one of those things where you want to get excited, but there is simply not enough info yet. Stop teasing us and don't list it until it is available!

·
Registered
634 Posts
If they are Bilstein HD's they are considered OEM replacements as opposed to sport upgrades. They will probably work better and definitely last longer than the OEM shocks but they shouldn't be confused with Bilstein's sport shocks.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
are bilstein's really that good according to their marketting bantra? or is it just a name brand.

[/b]

in order of your asking:

yes, according to real world usage

no. well, yes it is a "name brand" but one that is deserving of the good things said about it.

Don't get me wrong. Konis are outsdtanding shocks but the problem with most "adjutable" shocks is that very few people who have them really understand how to properly adjust them. In far too many cases they make the handling worse or more unpredictable than it was with non-adjustable shocks.
I'll wait for the Blistiens. I have custom-valved ones on my 1996 Z28 autocross car and they're absolutely the best shocks I've put on that car yet.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The adjustability of the Konis is useless unless you are willing to have custom springs made with aggressive spring rates. Its a cool gimmick to people who never have had konis. Bottom line. Any sensible owner will never turn them past 1/2 turn...and the amount of change is so small that its almost unnoticeable. You would need to take time to adjust (rears too), track test it, compare, adjust, track test....in order to feel any difference.

That said, they are great shocks built like tanks. That should be their key selling/marketing point, not the adjustability. I'm pretty much sold on Konis for life unless they downsize and start cheaping the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had bilstein sports on my two previous cars and highly reccommend them. If they were available for the 6 in the U.S. I probably would have bought them instead of the konis (not that I have any complaints about the konis...they seem to work great)

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Adjustability is not a gimmick at all. However, I'll admit that adjustability is somewhat useless on the '6 because the rears are so hard to adjust. HKS coilovers are the only exception.

Ignoring that major Mazda6-specific problem, I wouldn't normally recommend a non-adjustable shock for a car that sees both street and track. While it's possible to find a reasonable compromise between damper stiffness and comfort, it's not possible to have a setup ideal for track and daily driving simultaneously. That's where adjustability comes in. Koni's at full-soft are great for street, Koni's set a little firmer are great for track. These Bilsteins will probably feel like they're stuck at full-soft (but still be much butter than the original equipment).

Shock adjustability also lets you change your spring rates without revalving your shocks. Going from OE springs to Mazdaspeed (30% stiffer) lowering springs? I wonder which the Bilsteins will be valved for.

Bilstein makes great stuff. These should be comperable to Koni reds, a step down from the yellows but a big step up from the Mazda OE stuff. These will probably be the very best OE replacements, with Koni's still being the choice for more aggressive springs/drivers because Koni offers Mazda6 owners their enthusiast shock rather than the basic one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reserecting this thread. It looks like Bilstein makes both a Sport and Sprint model for the 6. If you go to:

http://katalog.bilstein.de/

And drill down to the Mazda 6 you'll see the listings. Alas they look expensive. The only place that I could find a price was on:

http://www.doppler-deimann.de/Eibach/pdfs/katalog2006.pdf

For the rear of 122 Euro, that is 160 USD. I'm not sure if that is list, or if they can be gotten cheaper.

I may be doing a trip to Europe shortly so will see what I can find when I'm over there.

Kevin

·
Registered
922 Posts
bilstein is good.. i think the yare OE for the Evo IX's and the STi's

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hm... Germany... Its close :) Shipping will be fast and cheap...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts