Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that is really cheesy on the Speed6 and all other 2.3L Mazdas is that the oil filter is a cartridge type, and the filter cover is plastic. Jeez, I thought they got away from this in 1952.

Anyway, apparently there is a spin on conversion that will work on a normal 2.3L, but not the Speed6, and I'm guessing this can't be done on the Speed3 or CX7 either.

This is not a big deal until you get lazy and take the car to JiffyMonkeyLube and Bubba ham hands the cover and cracks it. Hey, he's already on probation for being late twice and smoking out back once, so if he fesses up he could lose his job, so he doesn't mention it and lets the car go out the door that way. If you are lucky, the leak is slow enough that you notice it before the crankcase is drained, if you aren't, you've just lost your engine. Even if the guy is good, Mazda recommends a special tool to remove the oil filter cover to prevent it from cracking. They have a TSB on this:

ENGINE OIL FILTER CARTRIDGE HOUSING COVER DAMAGE

Note: This bulletin supersedes the following TSB(s): 01-008/03. Please update your records accordingly.

BULLETIN NOTE
This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-008/03, issued on 03/26/03. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, DESCRIPTION, REPAIR PROCEDURE, TOOL and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2003 - 2005 Mazda6 with 2.3L engine
2004 - 2005 Mazda3 with 2.3L engine

DESCRIPTION
The applicable models listed in this bulletin incorporate an oil filter cartridge that is housed within the engine. If the oil filter cartridge housing cover is not removed and/or installed using the correct tool, damage to the sides or bottom of the plastic cover may occur. Engine oil leakage or severe engine damage may occur if the damage becomes excessive.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Use Oil Filter Wrench (SST AKS75140) for oil filter cartridge housing cover removal.

NOTE:
SST AKS75140 is contained in Oil Filter Wrench Set (SST AKS96085).
SST AKS75140 has a plated finish for easy identification.

Place tool over bottom of oil filter cartridge housing cover.

Remove plastic cover with 3/8" drive ratchet.

Remove and replace oil filter cartridge.

Place tool over bottom of oil filter cartridge housing and tighten cover.

Tightening Torque: 30 - 35 Nm (22.2 - 25.8 ft. lbf.)

The odds of SuperPrimateGreaseStop having the special tool and torquing the cover properly is pretty close to zero. I doubt this will get done properly at the dealer 50% of the time, either.

I can't believe no one makes an aluminum replacement cover. I really can't believe the Formula Atlantic cars that run the 2.3L use a plastic cover, but maybe they have remote oiling or have a spin on conversion.

Even if we can get someone to carve some covers out of billet, we still have the risk that Bubba will pinch one of the two o-rings that have to be replaced everytime the oil is changed.

I personally would pay $50 for a billet cover. Anyone else? We could have it anodized some funky color and we could call it a 'mod'.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
this sounds like a very good idea.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd pay $20.00 or so for one, but remember that it also incorperates a drain plug in the cover.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard of this. So our cars don't have a traditional screw on type of filter? Or am I misunderstanding what's being stated?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard of this. So our cars don't have a traditional screw on type of filter? Or am I misunderstanding what's being stated?
[/b]
You heard right. The casing of the oil filter is a permanent attachment that houses an oil "filament". This casing has a plastic/bakelite cover that screws on.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You heard right. The casing of the oil filter is a permanent attachment that houses an oil "filament". This casing has a plastic/bakelite cover that screws on.
[/b]
and cross-threads very easily, might I add. :swearin:

·
Registered
967 Posts
The filter can be converted with factory parts. Check my garage for the part numbers
[/b]
Your garage link doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The filter can be converted with factory parts. Check my garage for the part numbers
[/b]
mjs302, have you actually done the conversion on an MS6? If so, what did you do with the oil cooler?

AFAIK the conversion will require the removal of the oil to water oil cooler that's installed on the DISI MZR engine (with turbo), which is in our MS6, the CX7 and the upcoming MS3. The regular 2.3s don't have the oil cooler and will accept the spin-on filter conversion parts. I haven't tried it myself but this is what my research came back with. There's a detailed "How To" on converting to the spin on filter parts, with detailed pics. Here's the link:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...7&Itemid=49

You can see how the spin on filter mount attaches to the engine, after removing the cartridge filter mount parts. It bolts directly to the block. It's pretty obvious the oil cooler would not be able to be reused, but again I haven't tried it myself.

Is it worth losing the oil cooler to make oil changes a little easier? Maybe a custom cooler is possible, but now you're talking more work and money. There; also a good posting on how to do the oil change on mazda6tech, with specific instructions on how much to retorque the filter housing. It's for the regular M6 with NA 2.3, but other than for the bolt size of the drain plug (17mm on ours instead of 15) and amount of oil required (ours is 5.6 liters), everything else is identical. Here's the link:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...2&Itemid=49

I've done the oil change myself and it's actually not much more work.

Maybe it would help to print out the instructions, put them in your glovebox and then make the oil change "technician" read the specific points on how to torque the housing before he starts? Tell them nicely that it will only take a minute, and butter them up by saying other dumb noobs have done it but you're sure he's smart enough to recognize the areas where a bit of care and attention should be taken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I did it to my Mazdaspeed 6 . The 4 cylinder Tribute ( or Escape) is available with an oil cooler and takes a spin-on filter. Just get the adapter, gasket and correct filter for that application. THe upper section of the adapter is the same as the MS6 but the lower half takes a spin-on filter. No need to change or modify the oil cooler in any way. Remove the filter, unbolt the oil cooler , unplug the oil sender wire. Then four bolts undo the mount from the block. Transfer the oil sender to the new adapter, reattach to the engine, rebolt the cooler to the new adapter and thread on a new filter.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just get the oil filter adapter from a 4 cyl Tribute or Ford Escape with oil cooler. Also , pick up a new adapter-to-block gasket and of course the correct spin-on filter . I did this at my last oil change, it took about 30 minutes.
[/b]
This is new information I didn't have. Thanks for the update mjs302. For anybody else reading this thread it would be very helpful if you could post the Mazda part numbers for the Tribute parts, if you have them handy. Is it safe to assume the water hoses connect right up to the Tribute adapter?

I probably won't convert mine as I'm okay with the setup and I change my own oil so I'll always be careful, but others would definitely appreciate this info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can give you the Ford part numbers (it was cheaper for me from the local Ford dealership). 1S7Z-6840-AA was the gasket ($4.22), 3S7Z-6881-AA was the adapter ($44.74) and the Mazda filter is an LF10-14-302.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I can give you the Ford part numbers (it was cheaper for me from the local Ford dealership). 1S7Z-6840-AA was the gasket ($4.22), 3S7Z-6881-AA was the adapter ($44.74) and the Mazda filter is an LF10-14-302.[/b]
Hey mjs302,
Can you get any pictures of your set-up? I wanna see the completed conversion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's the big deal with the filter element, don't let monkeys change your oil if you are worried about damage. My jetta VR6 had this and it was fine, I acutally prefered it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
What's the big deal with the filter element, don't let monkeys change your oil if you are worried about damage. My jetta VR6 had this and it was fine, I acutally prefered it.[/b]
My biggest issue? Sourcing a quality replacement. All the aftermarket ones I've seen are really fragile (half of mine have crushed in the housing). And I hate being at the mercy of the dealership for simple parts such as an oil filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My biggest issue? Sourcing a quality replacement. All the aftermarket ones I've seen are really fragile (half of mine have crushed in the housing). And I hate being at the mercy of the dealership for simple parts such as an oil filter.[/b]
Are aftermarket screw on filters really that much better? I think the real reason that they use the current setup is because of the environment. No wasted metal and the element is easier to extract the oil from. From my experiance the dealer is not that much more costly for the filter. Anyway I don't mean to raise a fuss, just curious as I am new to the Mazda world.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, I did it to my Mazdaspeed 6 . The 4 cylinder Tribute ( or Escape) is available with an oil cooler and takes a spin-on filter. Just get the adapter, gasket and correct filter for that application. THe upper section of the adapter is the same as the MS6 but the lower half takes a spin-on filter. No need to change or modify the oil cooler in any way. Remove the filter, unbolt the oil cooler , unplug the oil sender wire. Then four bolts undo the mount from the block. Transfer the oil sender to the new adapter, reattach to the engine, rebolt the cooler to the new adapter and thread on a new filter.[/b]
HI mjs302, I hope you are still around and check this thread out....it's been awhile now :)

How has it been with this conversion after all thess times? No problem whatsoever?

I personally like to get this spin on conversion so that I can get a sandwich plate on, so to get the proper oil temp reading for my gauge. But I don't know what reaction the service guys at Mazda dealer will have when my car is due in for a service?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I personally like to get this spin on conversion so that I can get a sandwich plate on, so to get the proper oil temp reading for my gauge. But I don't know what reaction the service guys at Mazda dealer will have when my car is due in for a service?[/b]
Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well for oil pressure/temp senders for the sandwich plate to feed gauges.... for the service guys, just take in your own screw-on filter and give that to them if you want them to change the oil....?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well for oil pressure/temp senders for the sandwich plate to feed gauges.... for the service guys, just take in your own screw-on filter and give that to them if you want them to change the oil....?[/b]
Yes, it is true in a sense. But I just hate it will stuff up my warranty if anything goes wrong. But with mine with 1 and half year of warranty left, this will be the route for me eventually. Besides I would really like to hear from those who have done this mod, if there is any potential problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts