Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend lent me a Saris bike rack for my 2016 Mazda6. I did a test installation and think I'm really asking for trouble with this setup. What do you all think?

I was able to set up the far feet on the rear window glass, which I like since it is less likely to scratch or dent than the trunk lid.

Two sets of straps attach to the window edge of the trunk lid - I'm a little concerned on a big bump load tweaking the trunk lid.

The two bottom feet rest on the bumper just aft of the trunk. I worry about scratching this up - is that a concern?

Finally, the two long straps that go to the bottom of the bumper have nothing to attach to since the bumper cover is all plastic. I can wrap them around the muffler/exhaust hangers - pictures show the little metal hooks but I'd probably do a real loop of the strap so it won't slip off.

See eight attached images for more info. All together, though, this looks like it is asking for trouble and to trash my Mazda6. What do you all think?
Thanks for the input. Option B is to simply use my girlfriend's hatchback.

20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093422892.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093430802.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093444258.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093449672.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093505996.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093513215.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093641834.jpg 20210427-G7-IMG_20210427_093645254.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,971 Posts
Ehhhhhhh :)

I'm most uncomfortable with the hooks underneath. Rubber feet on the glass is fine so long as those bottom hooks are snug so things don't bounce around. Rubber feet on the bumper would be fine but will leave a mark requiring elbow grease if left there a while.

Will it work if you tighten everything down? Absolutely. Will it be kinda sketchy, I think so.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Two sets of straps attach to the window edge of the trunk lid - I'm a little concerned on a big bump load tweaking the trunk lid.
That's what I thought would happen so it's a risk.

The two bottom feet rest on the bumper just aft of the trunk. I worry about scratching this up - is that a concern?
You can put a soft rubber or cloth in-between.

I don't feel confident with that bike rack. I would prefer this setup by @GTGTGT .

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you plan to carry bicycles frequently, you'd be better off installing a trailer hitch. Most hitch mounted racks will work with a 1" receiver. Much easier, faster and safer than depending on hooks and straps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"kinda sketchy"
"it's a risk"
"don't feel confident"
"you'd be better off"

Thanks, folks! I appreciate the feedback and it seems like we all agree. I'll look for another solution.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How much do you ride, 2016 Mazda 6, after 20 years of a roof racks on my mazda I went with this. I am to the point I only carry my bike, but you can add trays.

As beachdog said.

Zero issues, bombproof.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I put a receiver on mine.... and then the bike rack goes in there.

No issues, and I can open the trunk with the bike on it.

I HAD one of those style of racks. IMHO nope if you're going to use it all the time. Put a Curt hitch on the car and then you're not at risk of damaging either the trunk or (much worse!) the glass.

·
Rally Racer
3,495 Posts
As others have said, rare transport only. If you get stuck having to pick the kid and their bike up a couple times a year then great, use that rack and keep it in the trunk.
If you are a regular cycle transporter, put it on a semi permanent roof rack or a receiver style tray.
I am partial to roof racks but I drive long tops. The receiver style tends to work great. The only down side I have experienced is when trying to carry 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver it can oscillate wildly. If you need to carry that many bikes then a 2" receiver is ideal. Use the 1.25" receiver for one or two bikes.
Your results will vary of course.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As others have said, rare transport only. If you get stuck having to pick the kid and their bike up a couple times a year then great, use that rack and keep it in the trunk.
If you are a regular cycle transporter, put it on a semi permanent roof rack or a receiver style tray.
I am partial to roof racks but I drive long tops. The receiver style tends to work great. The only down side I have experienced is when trying to carry 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver it can oscillate wildly. If you need to carry that many bikes then a 2" receiver is ideal. Use the 1.25" receiver for one or two bikes.
Your results will vary of course.
I always advocate a stabilizing tie-back strap, regardless of rcvr tube size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts