Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As titled, what are your suggestions for bike mounts for a 3rd gen Mazda 6? I have a 2018 Mazda 6 if that helps narrow it down.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
I'll quote myself from another thread :)

I've got a full list of parts for my Thule setup and pics in my build thread.

Here's a real good discussion on other rack options as well: 2014 Mazda6 Roof Rack Options

Which includes/verifies the OEM numbers that would go for the roof rails you may need, though I don't remember if the 2018s come with them stock or not, I know the 2014 - 2016 don't.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Please see this one:

I'd like to add the "warning" of @Cdn17Sport6MT as it makes sense, although the "empirical data suggest otherwise".
😀

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestions everyone, this helped a lot. that rear eyelet version is tempting to me simply because of how clean it looks! beautiful :)

I haven't done any measurements, but I have a strong suspicion that top rack mounts will not work given how short my garage door is. This leaves me with the rear hitch style ones that are mounted to the trunk... :(

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The Curt I have can be sourced from eTrailer; about $150, no-drill, assuming the 2018 uses the same as my '15 does. Class 1, so it's a 1-1/4" receiver, and bolts on -- took me about a half-hour to install it. It can handle up to 2klbs and 200lbs on the ball; you'd need to add the wiring harness for lights, of course for an actual trailer.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yep and that harness (which has electronics in it) requires a separate power feed, so you have to fish that back from the front and protect it both physically and electrically.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's an electrical box that uses the brake and turn signal lights at the back as SIGNALS ONLY.

You have to do this for several reasons, the most important of which are that the power required to run the trailer lighting can exceed the circuit capacity on the towing vehicle. On modern cars that have LED lights for some or all of these they are often not actually a switch on the pedal or a mechanical flasher for turn signals; they're electronic driven LEDs from the body control module, so if you overload it you can burn the module out instead of simply blowing a fuse (now we're talking hundreds in damage, potentially.)

So the box takes those wires you tap at the brake and turn signal (and reverse, if you have the 5th pin for reverse lockout on the trailer brakes, etc) into it and uses them as inputs to an electronic circuit that switches battery power independently. This way you put no additional load on the towing vehicle's lighting system and if something goes wrong with the trailer (e.g. a short, etc) you blow the fuse on that controller instead of your $200 body control module.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Good thing I asked! I didn't know that modern cars are like that. I was about to say, why not just put a parallel connection?

Thank you for the detailed explanation. And of course, I'll put this on my bookmark.

Sometimes, I miss the simplicity of my CR-V 98...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
As titled, what are your suggestions for bike mounts for a 3rd gen Mazda 6? I have a 2018 Mazda 6 if that helps narrow it down.
Take a look at Sea Sucker Racks. I have been using them for a few years, no issues at all. Multiple trips on the highway during travel. Very sturdy rack, removable when not in use. If you have questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Take a look at Sea Sucker Racks. I have been using them for a few years, no issues at all. Multiple trips on the highway during travel. Very sturdy rack, removable when not in use. If you have questions let me know.
I hope you can post pictures, that will be a great help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went with Curt, 4 bolt right through the pre drilled holes in the "frame" after lot of research I went with 1UP USA, tray. 4 years and ZERO issues, best money ever spent.

I only need one tray, I carry a cervelo R3 or Cannodale flatbar, nothing but the best for my bikes.

I had Thule roof rack on the last generation 626, and two mazda 6. At times I would have 1 to 3 bikes up there, some trips from DE to FL and back zero issue. However as I got older, the wind noise with bikes up there or not and Mazda inherent wind noise made for a loud cabin. I wanted something different and my needs changed from needing to carry more then 1 bike at a time. Thule was great though, rock freaking solid.

Again, Curt and 1UP USA rear tray mount, highly recommend. I will send some pics later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Buy
9686.jpeg
9681.jpeg
9677.jpeg
I went with Curt, 4 bolt right through the pre drilled holes in the "frame" after lot of research I went with 1UP USA, tray. 4 years and ZERO issues, best money ever spent.

I only need one tray, I carry a cervelo R3 or Cannodale flatbar, nothing but the best for my bikes.

I had Thule roof rack on the last generation 626, and two mazda 6. At times I would have 1 to 3 bikes up there, some trips from DE to FL and back zero issue. However as I got older, the wind noise with bikes up there or not and Mazda inherent wind noise made for a loud cabin. I wanted something different and my needs changed from needing to carry more then 1 bike at a time. Thule was great though, rock freaking solid.

Again, Curt and 1UP USA rear tray mount, highly recommend. I will send some pics later.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To clarify - you're relying on the front and rear wheel uprights to locate the bike and prevent it from banging against the rear of the car? I'm not familiar with that rack, but is that enough?
Do you do anything to physically block contact between the bike and the car? Foam block?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts