Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it truth that using a bigger rims eg. 17" tyres consume more petrol than a smaller 15" ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Bigger rims = more petrol consumption'

Originally posted by jon

Is it truth that using a bigger rims eg. 17" tyres consume more petrol than a smaller 15" ?[/b]
No, as far as I know the diameter of the rim has nothing to do with fuel economy. This conception might have originated from the fact that with larger rims you usually use wider tyres that slightly increase drag and therefore also the fuel consumption. The difference in consumption should be minimal if you stay within reason with the tyre width.

·
Registered
71 Posts

That's right. Diameter of the rim has nothing to do with fuel consumption.
But the tires on 17" are bit wider than 15". For example - available tyre dimensions
for Mazda 6 in Europe are:
195/65 R15 (doesn't look good at all)
205/55 R16
215/45 R17
So the difference in width is quite small. My Mazda6 has 215/45 R17 and
fuel consumption is Ok (more precise data in "Anything wrong" folder).

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Gasjs

195/65 R15 (doesn't look good at all)[/b]
Agree, but at least in Estonia the overall quality of roads is nothing to be proud of (and I also drive a lot on gravel roads because of my work) so having 215/45 R17 tires would be just torturing yourself and the car. Broken rims are also an issue with huge potholes we have (just kidding - its not that bad, but not much better either :().
I went for the 15" steel rims initially and plan to get a set of larger alloys later on (will probably settle for 16"). In here we use studded snow tires in winter and I plan to leave steel rims for winter driving. I think it makes sense to have two different sets of rims if you have to change tires twice a year. As a bonus you get better grip with narrow/higher profile tires in winter and wider/lower profile tires in summer. Plus there is a chance of ruining tire and/or rim with constant interchanging of summer and winter tires.

BTW Gasjs, how is the condition of roads in Latvia?

·
Registered
71 Posts

To Sigvard:

I don't know much about Estonian roads, except the distance Ainazi-Parnu-
Tallinn. The overall impression is that roads in Estonia are approx. the same or
even bit better than in Latvia.
I also wanted to go for 205/55 R16, but R17 was in GT package as standart. I'm gonna buy R16 alloys for winter but gonna use winter tyres without studs.
Fortunately I have to use gravel roads extremely rarely - 215/45 R17 are not
supposed for gravel definetely.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The diameter of the tire will affect your gas mileage to some extent. A larger diameter takes more energy to turn. If you have an engine with lots of torque, it makes less difference. Also, if you buy aftermarket wheels it may make a difference simply due to weight. Some of those bling bling wheels weigh a ton. :sarc

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I agree. That's what the sales agent told me. Want to make sure since the petrol here is quite experience. Unlead Octane 95 cost US$.70 / litre.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Gasjs

Fortunately I have to use gravel roads extremely rarely.[/b]
Too bad, its a lot of fun when you have a chance to drive your car to the limit on gravel. I just cannot bear not to take a tour to some twisty country road every once in a while, just for the heck of it. However, I must admit that FWD cars are a lot less fun on gravel than RWD and can lead to very ugly situations if you're not accustomed to different driving techniques for FWD (yes, I'm speaking from experience ;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts