Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to buy a MS3 but after today's test drive of an MS6 I don't know. This was the first time I have ever driven a car with a turbo and needless to say I scared the crap out of the dealer and my friend. I did notice like some other people on this forum that the clutch was, well different. But the real question is should I wait for the MS3's to come out or take the 23k offer the dealer just made me. Opinions?!?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I was hoping to buy a MS3 but after today's test drive of an MS6 I don't know. This was the first time I have ever driven a car with a turbo and needless to say I scared the crap out of the dealer and my friend. I did notice like some other people on this forum that the clutch was, well different. But the real question is should I wait for the MS3's to come out or take the 23k offer the dealer just made me. Opinions?!?
[/b]
Hmm. First I'd suggest you click on this link. Big Delima

23K? Take it immediately.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So sue me, I can't spell...lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think it really depends on your driving style and what kind of requirement as the mode of transport you are looking for.

For space, comfort, leisurely cruising and occasion fun on track or quck fang, also if your driving condion may need the 6's AWD for better handling, then the Speed 6 should satisty you.

But the 3 is a brutal animal of a car and it comes with a hatch and smaller interior. But if all this doesn't bother you. I would say go for the 3.

AT the end of the day, you have to test drive the Speed3 to compare.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It really depends on what you want and like. The MS3 and MS6 are focused on different target markets. The MS6 is a relative bargain, considering you can get one for the same price as a MS3 (I envy you guys in the US), but it's only a bargain if it meets your needs.

MS6:
4 door sedan, fairly subtle styling - portrays more "mature" image, physcially larger with more elbow room inside, more GT oriented.
AWD for consistent performance in varying weather conditions.
Heavier and ultimately less dynamically responsive (unless you mod the susp). Also, more complex (AWD system).

MS3:
Sport compact, younger "sportier" image implying so-called "active lifestyle", not as much elbow room inside but considered not as much an issue as "younger" customer base tends to be "slimmer".
Hatchback/wagon body to complement "active lifestyle".
FWD because that's what most of the other cars in this segment are (GTI, Civic SI, Cobalt SS, Caliber SRT4, Saturn Ion Redline), and to keep the price down.
Lighter and dynamically more responsive, but ultimately gives up some performance due to better traction of MS6 AWD.

Look at the Subaru WRX (not STI) and Legacy GT as examples. Both share the same engine and basic drivetrain, both are similarly priced (at least they are in Canada), yet they're focused on very different markets.

For me, it came down to the conditions I drive in. Being in the Pacific Northwest the pavement is wet almost 6 months of the year. Having AWD means I can extract 95% or more of the car's performance year round, while with FWD I'd just be spinning my front tires 6 months of the year. My last two cars have been FWD and I got so frustrated with not going anywhere when the light turned green that I swore my next car absolutely had to have AWD. I'm also older, and having the extra room sure helps, especially after 21 years of raising kids that can't sit still.

If you live in California or somewhere where it only rains a few weeks a year, the AWD is probably not a big deal. Do you do like to do lots of quick standing start acceleration (ie. stop lights), or do you prefer immense passing power once you're already moving? If you like quick acceleration from a standing start in all weather conditions, get the MS6. If you drive mainly on country roads in warm climates and you don't stop frequently, get the MS3, because it will be quicker in roll on acceleration since it's lighter and traction isn't as big an issue as you're already moving. Do you absolutey have to have the utility of the wagon body? Etc, etc.

Figure out what your priorities are and see which car fits the best.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
FYI OP, if you are looking at the sport model, 23k is basically invoice price minus the current incentives. Any dealer should be able to give you that price considering it's almost '07 already. If you're talking about the GT for 23k, then that's a good price.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
This is how it looks in my eyes:

MS6- "higher class" executive's EVO or STi, without the huge wing, and harsh ride...
-Comfortable ride
-Go anywhere (on pavement i mean! lol) with AWD, dont have to worry about snow, and infact it does EXCELENT in atleast 9inches of snow...
-pure performance, and the dilevery of it is very smooth

MS3- not SO higher class in executive looks, but if you want PURE performance, but not pay for an STi/EVO, then this is it....
-Ride should be more rough as compared to an STi/EVO
-FWD (Torque steer to no extent with that much TQ/power, even with the DSC)
-whore lot of woop-ass in a small can....

I like the professional look, and still be able to have fun with the car, so i like the MS6, and dont regret not waiting or whatever for the MS3....

-Hope that helped

Adeel

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Mazdaspeed 3 looks like it's gonna be a highway beast. But it is a heavy one at that. I personally got sick of spinning the wheels of my turbo fwd 1990 plymouth laser everytime i tried to launch it on dangerous intersections. Especially in the rain. I got a lead foot so yea, i needed to switch to awd. I personally don't see any benefit in having a powerful fwd car on the dyno & not being able to put it down on street tires till 3rd gear.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is a much better match for me as a driver & racer. All the latest technology in it is amazing & the active torque split make it behave like a fwd car but with awd traction. I can actually step on the gas thru tight turns instead of holding back or spinning out.

Now keep in mind that rwd cars have good traction too, but eventually you will loose traction making enough power. AWD is the platform of choice for me. So what if you have more drive train loss then the others, the fix for that is making more power.

But the decision in what you want is up to you. Just don't break anything under there, hehe....

Saber!...!...!
:cheers:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great points, I think I will try a bit harder for the MS6. I found two dealerships with MS6's I'm going to try to get the price a bit lower, If not 23K it will be. I wish dealership were open today.

--Damn I need some coffee this morning--

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Great points, I think I will try a bit harder for the MS6. I found two dealerships with MS6's I'm going to try to get the price a bit lower, If not 23K it will be. I wish dealership were open today.
--Damn I need some coffee this morning--
[/b]
I think the price is awsome considering when I bought mine when they first came out. I concur with the previous posters on the class difference or different markets. I do enjoy the more room and I think the price is well worth it. If you decide on the MS3, you not get the discount. He, he, he!!!! scared your friend and the dealer with your driving. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I got my sport for 21,900, take the offer form one dealer and go to the other, pit them against eachother. I will tell you this, the MS6 is a great car, but it is not going to be an EVO or STI, and IMO thats PERFECT, I can make my uncle shit himself on on ramps, but my wife is perfectly content to take 2 hour drives with no complaints. All of my friends are just blown away by the total package. If you want total outright speed and modding potential the MS6 is NOT your bag, but if you want a very fast car that you can live with for 10 years and cruise with friends on long road trips and raise a family or take the parents around it... MS6... i really don;t think you can go wrong.

And while it is true 23,000 is not the best deal i have heard yet, the 06's will eventually be gone, i might have been ablke to go lower but mine was the last Ti Grey in my area so i bit on it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know for some, it's not a big deal. But remember that the warranty changed for the 07's. So the MS3 would only have the 36m bumper to bumper (with the longer powertrain). If you get the 06 MS6, you'll still have the (IMO better) warranty.

Just an extra bit to think about...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Opinions?!?
[/b]
well, let's see. according to your sig, you currently own a 2006 mazda, and already you're looking to buy a new car. so judging by your recent history, i'd suggest you just buy the ms6, and if in a couple months you decide you like the ms3 better, trade it in for that. or see if you can get a two-month lease. either way.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, let's see. according to your sig, you currently own a 2006 mazda, and already you're looking to buy a new car. so judging by your recent history, i'd suggest you just buy the ms6, and if in a couple months you decide you like the ms3 better, trade it in for that. or see if you can get a two-month lease. either way.
[/b]

Yes, I have only had my car for a year. But this is MS6 for just a little more than what I paid for my current car. Also I've been wanting to get back into driving a stick. My only real question is, is this car going to last at least five years?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Last 5 years?

Don't mod it, keep your warranty in tact.. and it will no matter what! Or they fix it =) As for actually lasting for a good 8-10 years w/o problems like all hondas and such do.... only time will tell... Thats the HUGE benefit to buying an STI or Evo... yeah they release "new" models every so often... However they are still more or less the same well tested car year after year.. they just improve upon it every so often...

Speed6... one time run.. meaning its as good as they made it the first time.. and thats it... Sadly. Price we pay for being damn near the only one of our kind on the road.. in any given area...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well with everyone's help and support at the mazda6club, I am the new proud owner of an 06 speed6 GT. There was a big problem though. The dealership that quoted my that great low price was scamming me a bit. When I went back today they told me that "I would never offer this car for that price" and he wouldn't even come close to what I was asking for the 06 Mazda3. After driving around I found another local speed dealership and he made an outstanding offer and paid off my 3. OTD 27K. That was with a few extras I bought in the finance office. I don't think I did too bad. BTW If you live in the Balto/DC area stay away from Nationwide Mazda there a bunch of a**holes.

Pics with be up on my website hopefully tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Are you comparing a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with a leftover 2006 Mazdaspeed6?

I'm thinking about getting a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 at the end of the year or the beginning of next year if there are any left. Judging on the price drops on the Speed6 I would imagine Speed3's will be going for $18k.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you comparing a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with a leftover 2006 Mazdaspeed6?

I'm thinking about getting a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 at the end of the year or the beginning of next year if there are any left. Judging on the price drops on the Speed6 I would imagine Speed3's will be going for $18k.
[/b]
I highly doubt that they will be going for that. Good luck. I dont think that they are going to have a problem selling them for what they are asking. Thats the only reason the speed6 is so low right now. I think that the MS6 will hold its value pretty damn good from here on out. Its just they were having a hard time selling them, so the few used MS6's were lower than the already discounted new ones. They couldnt sell the new ones for more than the used ones. Anyways, I think that the MS3 will be a hit

1 - 20 of 105 Posts