Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any? If so what would people be interested in and at what price point? I have some connections and have produced 2 kits in prior using Wilwood Calipers. Of course I would be bale to use my own car as a test car so it would be easy R&D. It would not happen until spring at the earliest, I will probably do it for my car whether I sell it or not but a one time Bulk Buy would make is easily accessible from a financial stand point.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds good! I would probably be interested if the look is right...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is it a major company that will be producing the kits? With the stock rotors being 12.6 and 12.4 inches front and rear respectively and already getting the performance of cars costing tens of thousands of dollars more I think it would be pretty hard to improve the stock setup. A true 4 piston caliper with opposed pistons would be nice for superior caliper rigidity and better heat dissipation but honestly most BBK are for show only. What size calipers were you looking at front and rear? What about a larger MC?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am asking YOU GUYS what YOU want, your not supposed to ask what I am planning. :lol: I am sure I could get a 4 piston set up on there with steel brackets and stock rotors, SS lines, and good pads for 800 or less but they would be tiny calipers with poor heat dissipation for this size car.

I could also throw out a 3500 dollar kit with 6 piston staggered diameter calipers with titanium brackets.

The question is to YOU, what would YOU want on YOUR car... me guessing wont do you or me any good, I want input, if you don't think it needs it, then say so, I don't wanna invest my time and money into something people do not feel the car really needs.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Our car stops pretty damn good already. Like nearly C6 Corvette good. :D

That said the stock rotors look like shit. Too much rust and discoloration, so cosmetics is a pretty good reason to upgrade. And powder coated calipers would look sweet too.

Don't know, but I think you would probably have too spend a pretty penny to improve the car, preformnce wise.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I would be interested depending on look and cost...Rotora has one but it is like $1,800
[/b]
Isn't your car a 6s?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
We need to talk to MrTea about brakes, he has a connection...

Personally I think the brakes are plenty big enough, if anything a dual piston caliper with some nice pads...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
if someone wants Brembo's for the reg. 6 i can get em, but not for the speed yet. sorry

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think the brakes stop pretty good as is, but I wouldn't mind some two piece rotors with aluminum hats that shaved a pound or two off each corner.
I had a BBK on my old 3, and even though the rotors were an 1.25" bigger and .25" thicker they were almost 2 pounds lighter(each) than the stock rotors.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I would like some bigger brakes. I want to make my passengers to lose teeth when I come to a stop. :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a front only kit be worth anything? Does it need to cover all 4 corners? Rear aftermarket brakes are a PITA due to E brakes. Typically they involve 2 calipers, on hydraulic and 2 mechanical for the e brake. Thus the bracketry and cost of calipers goes up. If we could get a front only kit together as such:

1.1 - 1.25 thick rotors, that are equal or larger diameter than stock, 4 piston fixed calipers, nylon coated SS lines, choice of pads, and fasteners for under or around 1500 would it be worth it?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATES:
Talked to Wilwood, and my business partner. Here would be the generic details:
  1. Wilwood Billet SL4R Superlight Calipers with OEM quality Dust boots
  2. Your choice of the full wilwood pad lineup
  3. 14 inch 2 piece rotors with drilling and slotting optional
  4. Nylon Coated Stainless Steel brake lines
  5. Powder coated & CNC machine relocation brackets
  6. Grade 10+ fasteners
Would anyone be interested in that?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What would it be worth to you? It is hard to say end cost until I know what I am working with, those calipers a 400 each without pads. So that kit would run closer to 2 grand. I can use a same siezed caliper without dust boost (rebuildable though) and go alot cheaper, or use a smaller claiper with dust boots and be somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For performance bang for the buck I would go with two piece rotors, and keep the stock calipers.

Or for the caliper I would use brembos. The willwoods are not refined enough in my opinon. I used them on the civic and they worked great, but dont have the same refinment that the brembos have, and as for pads, willwoods polymatrix pads make our stock pads look like a low dust option.

Just my two cents, after having put 80k km on willwood dynalites.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
For performance bang for the buck I would go with two piece rotors, and keep the stock calipers.

Or for the caliper I would use brembos. The willwoods are not refined enough in my opinon. I used them on the civic and they worked great, but dont have the same refinment that the brembos have, and as for pads, willwoods polymatrix pads make our stock pads look like a low dust option.

Just my two cents, after having put 80k km on willwood dynalites.
[/b]
+1 I'd go for a two piece rotor upgrade. It'll save a few pounds and not break the bank, compared to full BBK.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Couple of points, the dyna lite is NOT an option on this car, that would be way to little caliper. Brembo's are nice but in the end it is an issue of what fits A The car, B stock brake system, C budget. I garantee if you put 4 piston wilwoods and Brembos on the same rotor/car and had properly proprtioned pots you would never tell a difference, except in your pocket book.

A rotor upgrade is great from a cost standpoint but honestly is not going to do much EXCEPT save weight. For weight savings your better off shopping lighter tires and wheels, the benifit of radius cannot be overstated! If your talking about a oversized rotor (113-14 inches) that is fine but with the stock caliper height and pad configuration you are limited by the radius because thr stock pad is meant to confrom to a 12.6 inch rotor, so going to 13 or 14 inches means the pads outer edge will not conform to the rotor as it should and you can get any number of issues. As well the stock caliper because if it's floating designe sits well above the outer radius of the rotor, thus it becomes and obstacle much earlier than a flush mounted aftermarket caliper would.

How important is it to have an oem quality dust boot Vs. A rebuildable caliper? I garantee we could do a rebuildable caliper and 2 peice rotor kit for under 1500, possibly around 1,000 (depends on too many factor to make promises right now). There are alot of variables when it comes to price, directional vanes, slotting, scalloped rotors, thickness, diameter, bracketry will also vary in ease and cost depending on rotor sizes and stock Vs. aftermarket calipers.

I am trying to gather as much info as possible to make a proposal to my partner for this project. Does anyone know the stock front caliper piston size? I haven't had a chance to pull anything off yet and given the weather prolly won't but if someone happens to be looking around there that info would be great!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts