Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2006 Mazda 6 V6 3.0 Automatic with Stock Exhaust Manifolds and pre-cats reached 201.6 HP (6300 rpm) @ Wheels with a Torque of 184.5 (5150 rpm). Air/Fuel ratio is 13.1:1 @ 5000 rpm and 12.3:1 @ 6500 rpm. The engine is 215 HP at the engine stock. More loss comes with an automatic than a standard. As one of our members said: http://forum.mazda6club.com/dyno-track/191470-2006-stock-mtx-v6-dyno-d-2.html an automatic V6, which typically dynos around 165hp at the wheels. A manual V6 typically dynos around 185hp at the wheels.
Mine was done in 3rd gear, started out gentle otherwise it would downshift.
To see 10 sec DYNO run, hear & see exhaust click on this:

LAST MAY: I was @ 189 hp and 178.8 torque. Air/Fuel was 12:1 @ 5000 rpm and 11.8:1 @ 6500 rpm. But I was already stought there because on that run I had re-did the back portion of the Y-pipe, installed a new 2.5' Magnaflow Rear Cat, already had the Mazdaspeed exhaust and used a K&N SRI. Since then had problems with leaking vaccuum brake booster, changed MAF & O2 sensors.
THIS RUN, MODS SINCE MAY: Front Y-Pipe, EGR Tube in intake shortened, Partial shaft cut on Butterfly throttle, Steeda Throttle Body Spacer, ACCEL Ignition Coils and Air Box Mod (Not K&N SRI this time)
(Air box: removed inner fake bottom plate, left flapper on, left tuba on, left silencer on but drilled holes in it).

I am proud to be part of the 200 Club!

Attachments

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
THIS IS FOR THOSE THAT ARE THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THEiR EXHAUST
AS Quoted by Crossbow:
"a single 2.5 mandrel system setup, or a dual 2.0 mandrel system (Internal Diameter), work best with the 3.0 duratec system." (which mine is).
"A small restrictive pipe would immediately fill with exhaust, and move at a considerable velocity, but excess gas would be left behind, which in the worst case scenario would actually remain in the combustion chamber and mix with the incoming fresh air, reducing power.
A large pipe would immediately absorb all the exhaust volume, but drop velocity to the extent that scavenging doesn't occur. Exhaust would still flow out, but would not be as efficent as it could be.
If the piping size is just right, the velocity is high enough so that it creates a suction effect at the cylinder head, and literarly sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder. This makes it easier for the piston to move up, and recovers a good amount of previously wasted energy."
"modifying the catback or mufflers will provide little or no gain, because all of the restriction is further upstream. This is verified by dyno's, as no one besides the various exhaust manufacturers have shown any gain whatsoever with any of the available catbacks on the market. (on owner dynos).
If anything, some of the catbacks are actually reducing overall power, because they're slowing down what little exhaust velocity there is, by the time it gets done going through the twists and honeycombs of doom."
FOR MORE: http://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-drivetrain/156660-exhaust-technology-sizing-velocity.html by Crossbow (stickied)
Who the hell is Crossbow? If you look on the home page of this forum in the upper right hand corner in "STATS" you'll see he is the record holder for most posts @ 11,741. One of the great pioneers of this site.

·
Registered
80 Posts
THIS IS FOR THOSE THAT ARE THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THEiR EXHAUST
AS Quoted by Crossbow:
"a single 2.5 mandrel system setup, or a dual 2.0 mandrel system (Internal Diameter), work best with the 3.0 duratec system." (which mine is).
"A small restrictive pipe would immediately fill with exhaust, and move at a considerable velocity, but excess gas would be left behind, which in the worst case scenario would actually remain in the combustion chamber and mix with the incoming fresh air, reducing power.
A large pipe would immediately absorb all the exhaust volume, but drop velocity to the extent that scavenging doesn't occur. Exhaust would still flow out, but would not be as efficent as it could be.
If the piping size is just right, the velocity is high enough so that it creates a suction effect at the cylinder head, and literarly sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder. This makes it easier for the piston to move up, and recovers a good amount of previously wasted energy."
"modifying the catback or mufflers will provide little or no gain, because all of the restriction is further upstream. This is verified by dyno's, as no one besides the various exhaust manufacturers have shown any gain whatsoever with any of the available catbacks on the market. (on owner dynos).
If anything, some of the catbacks are actually reducing overall power, because they're slowing down what little exhaust velocity there is, by the time it gets done going through the twists and honeycombs of doom."
FOR MORE: http://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-drivetrain/156660-exhaust-technology-sizing-velocity.html by Crossbow (stickied)
Who the hell is Crossbow? If you look on the home page of this forum in the upper right hand corner in "STATS" you'll see he is the record holder for most posts @ 11,741. One of the great pioneers of this site.

so your saying not to get a magnaflow catback system? i'm wondering cuz i was really thinking about getting one, but if u say that your set up is better, could u make a list of everything you used to change your set up? I REALLY want to change my set up bad and this sounds promising.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
so your saying not to get a magnaflow catback system? i'm wondering cuz i was really thinking about getting one, but if u say that your set up is better, could u make a list of everything you used to change your set up? I REALLY want to change my set up bad and this sounds promising.
He's not on the forum anymore. He was banned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He's not on the forum anymore. He was banned.
then do u think i should do what he did instead of a magnaflow catback? lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want to spend the money sure. There's nothing wrong with the magnaflow cat back. It's the header design.
what do u think about a magnaflow cbe with catalytic converter replaced with test pipe?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
then do u think i should do what he did instead of a magnaflow catback? lol
You can still get ahold of BigAlDj on this youtube page of the same name. He suggests doing this mod BEFORE going with catback as you will see more improvements. I have heard some people mention adding a "flex" piece to the rear manifold piping so the engine movement doesn't damage the exhaust piping. In the video/pictures you can see their is a flex portion for the front & not the back.
This is also on my list of mods to be tackled after winter.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
what do u think about a magnaflow cbe with catalytic converter replaced with test pipe?
Won't really see any gains or losses as the restrictions are in the headers and manifolds with a whopping 4 super restrictive cats and ass backwards crush bends. Cbe are mainly for sound, I loved mine and don't regret it still to this day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
80 Posts
Won't really see any gains or losses as the restrictions are in the headers and manifolds with a whopping 4 super restrictive cats and ass backwards crush bends. Cbe are mainly for sound, I loved mine and don't regret it still to this day.

So I should get the Magnaflow cbe and make a set up like BigALDj's to take the crap bends up front out of the system for some gains?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
So I should get the Magnaflow cbe and make a set up like BigALDj's to take the crap bends up front out of the system for some gains?
Yes definitely if you want some actual gains from an exhaust system without going the headers route. If you look under the car you'll see the +180* bends and crush bends in the exhaust, designed by a moron! Plus the 4 cats are super restrictive, I say hollow them out while your at it, it's very easy all you need is an extra long screwdriver, look it up on google/YouTube.

Actually if your going the custom route like bigaldj, you might as well pass on the magnaflow and just have the same shop complete the cat back from the y pipe that your going to have modified. Will be much cheaper that way, with the same sound.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes definitely if you want some actual gains from an exhaust system without going the headers route. If you look under the car you'll see the +180* bends and crush bends in the exhaust, designed by a moron! Plus the 4 cats are super restrictive, I say hollow them out while your at it, it's very easy all you need is an extra long screwdriver, look it up on google/YouTube.

Actually if your going the custom route like bigaldj, you might as well pass on the magnaflow and just have the same shop complete the cat back from the y pipe that your going to have modified. Will be much cheaper that way, with the same sound.
Thank youuuu!!!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
No problem man , let us know how you like your new set up when you get it done. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts