Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored so I decided to plot our car on a few different maps that I have around.

I'm not sure how spot on these calculations are, and there are many 'guestimations' in here, but someone who has actual data, or a better idea, please chime in.

For the calculations, here are the assumptions I made, numbers I used:

Max boost = 17psi
Pressure drop accross intercooler = 1.7psi
post intercooler/intake temp = 170
displacement(cc's) = 137.9
max operating rpm = 5500rpm

With these numbers I came up with 25.4lbs/min on the x-axis with the respective boost on the y-axis(2.27=17psi+pressure drop+1bar).

As stated before, a lot of these are just guestimations, most are on the conservative side, such as rpm, intake temp and pressure drop.

Plotting these on 2 compressor maps, I used a small T3, and a mid-sized T04.

These seem to be well within the turbos operating range and shouldn't be blowing hot air, while seeming not to be oversized. I'd like to see the compressor map of the turbo currently on the Speed as it is now. Anybody got it?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'd like to see the compressor map of the turbo currently on the Speed as it is now. Anybody got it?
[/b]
It has been posted probably a dozen times... ;)

Also, from talking with a few people who know turbos well and make a living off of knowing turbos well, the GT35 seems to be the consensus of the best turbo for the ms6

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It has been posted probably a dozen times... ;)

Also, from talking with a few people who know turbos well and make a living off of knowing turbos well, the GT35 seems to be the consensus of the best turbo for the ms6
[/b]

What horsepower levels were they targeting with the GT35, that's a pretty big turbo. I don't think must of use would use the full potential of that turbo.

I've done a little math myself, and it looks like the GT3071R or the GT3076R should be good for about 375 and 450 hp respectivly.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
GT28RS hybrid would be most realistic option made available, using oem exh manifold. It has more cfm capacity vs T3-60

At your 17.5 boost but at 6500 rpm, I get 32 lb/min real, 30 corrected for garrett maps.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
GT28RS hybrid would be most realistic option made available, using oem exh manifold. It has more cfm capacity vs T3-60

At your 17.5 boost but at 6500 rpm, I get 32 lb/min real, 30 corrected for garrett maps.
[/b]

The GT2876R looks like it would work perfectly is you really want to keep the stock manifold and don't want turn the boost up much. But, that expansion joint on our stock manifold has to have a serious negative effect on the exaust flow.

I'd much rather see a setup with the GT3076R and a replacement manifold, it should be good for over 25psi and 450-500+hp (when we get some tuning).

·
Registered
50 Posts
GT28RS would give a similar driving experience w/ better top end and more grunt down low. But w/ lower intake temps. I come from the Nissan Sr20 world and a 2.2L SR makes 15lbs at a low 2500 w/ the gt28rs. 15lbs of GT28rs Air is much more dense than that of the K04. The GT2871R would give even better top end w/ a minimal trade off in spool. I would be very happy with a GT3071R.

·
Registered
998 Posts
What horsepower levels were they targeting with the GT35, that's a pretty big turbo. I don't think must of use would use the full potential of that turbo.

I've done a little math myself, and it looks like the GT3071R or the GT3076R should be good for about 375 and 450 hp respectivly.
[/b]

I agree. THe 35r is rather large. While we're at it throw an FP3065 on there and see how she does.

Jason

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One problem...the max RPM is not 5500, it's 6700.
[/b]
That's one of the numbers I was figuring in pretty consevatively.

I think even add another 1K in the band doesn't change the numbers too much......

The intake temp as well I was thinking I was figuring pretty high.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I agree. THe 35r is rather large. While we're at it throw an FP3065 on there and see how she does.

Jason
[/b]
Where can I find a compressor map of that turbo?

That's one of the numbers I was figuring in pretty consevatively.

I think even add another 1K in the band doesn't change the numbers too much......

The intake temp as well I was thinking I was figuring pretty high.
[/b]

That extra 1200 rpm makes a huge difference, the turbo has to flow 25% more air to hold your target boost at 6700 rpm than it does at 5500 rpm. I always do the calcualtions for 7000 rpm just to be sure it's not getting close to the choke line oin the top end. I don't know what intake temps we run, but 130~150deg is probably close enough.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i'll tell ya, the car would be rediculous if it could push boost to redline. i would say easily low 13s those who goto the track -must- shift at 5500-6k

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
i'll tell ya, the car would be rediculous if it could push boost to redline. i would say easily low 13s those who goto the track -must- shift at 5500-6k
[/b]
P5Freek can get 17 PSI till 7K.... as can anyone else with a MBC, now is that efficient boost... meh...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
He posted in the dyno/track section that he's getting a 13.5 second 1/4 mile. He finally went to a track.

That's with exhaust cutout, bost controller and CAI.
[/b]
And his launching technique.... meh.... his car moves....

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know this link has been dead for a whle but i got to thinking about when I rebuilt my audi 200 the turbo I upgraded to and from. This link is to possible chea turbos for our cars if they line up t the engine and exhaust manifold correctly I did a search and this was the closest topic. http://www.2bennett.com/ , http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ ; anyways these are just some of the pages the one i was looking for isn't there it maps out the stages for you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
again this thread , not again lol!! guys it works , boost holds perfectly till 7000k, im going to the races tonight so i will try and film my TACH when i race ;) :drive:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
again this thread , not again lol!! guys it works , boost holds perfectly till 7000k, im going to the races tonight so i will try and film my TACH when i race ;) :drive:
[/b]
Are you trying to say you've upgraded your turbo??? :squint:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts