Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The description says it all. I wanter wider tires. I really like the stock 17 inch rims, so I see no need to upgrade the rims. Keep in mind, I think I'll be adding the Eibachs as well with the stock rims. Is this ok?

How wide can I go, 225, 235? And if so, what do the other dimension on the tires need to be? 225/45/R17 or 225/50/R17 or 225/40/R17. I don't mind the current sidewall height.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to order from tire rack and then get my mechanic to mount/balance them. But I'm just not sure what size will fit correctly on the stock rim.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Better Tires on Stock Wheels

Check with Brillo, I know he mounted 225/45s on his 17s. He should be able to tell you if there is room for a wider tire with the stock offset rim.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Well, 225/45/17's on Eibachs work for Mazda on their RevItUp autocrossing cars, so I'd say that's a safe bet.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Better Tires on Stock Wheels'

Originally posted by LBJay

Check with Brillo, I know he mounted 225/45s on his 17s. He should be able to tell you if there is room for a wider tire with the stock offset rim.[/b]

225/45/17 is fine, I'm running with continentals, which I love, they are quiet, light weight, relatively cheap, decent tread wear and grip like super glue. I don't think tirerack carries them though. If there is a discount tire near you, I recommend getting them there. You can sell you stock tires back to them (up to $50 per tire depending on wear) and you get the warranty and free rotations, which is critical for a summer tire.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

And you really should check the section width of the exact tire you want. I've seen the same tire, same model but different speed ratings vary up to .5 inch in width. Tires are like shoes, a 10 in a VANS is diffent then a 10 in a Nike.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Better Tires on Stock Wheels'

Originally posted by Brillo

Originally posted by LBJay

Check with Brillo, I know he mounted 225/45s on his 17s. He should be able to tell you if there is room for a wider tire with the stock offset rim.[/b]

225/45/17 is fine, I'm running with continentals, which I love, they are quiet, light weight, relatively cheap, decent tread wear and grip like super glue. I don't think tirerack carries them though. If there is a discount tire near you, I recommend getting them there. You can sell you stock tires back to them (up to $50 per tire depending on wear) and you get the warranty and free rotations, which is critical for a summer tire.[/b][/quote]

No kidding. I'm going to try that. I think I'll get shite black hubs/rims for winter use with winter tires and then reshoe my oem rims with something like that.

I'll also make sure of the width before buying.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Its a real big help!

p.s. Brillo, do you have the exact model number of the Continentals? How much did they cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts