Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably not the only one but does anyone else have issues with the rotors warping in these cars? I've had 2 sets that have warped. Anyways it's time to replace pads and rotors and was wondering what everyone goes with as far as pads and rotors are concerned? Looking for reasonably priced as I am still in college, I can do nicer upgrades after I finish school

·
Registered
726 Posts
Kindly provide more details about your car, i.e., model year, mileage before replacing the rotor discs, etc.

If I may suggest, do the proper brake bedding after replacing your pads and rotors. I saw a summary of procedures on how to do it, somewhere here.

Keep up the good works in knowing your priorities! So yes, no unnecessary upgrades until you finish college.

EDIT: Here is the link,

And here is another one,

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Warping rotors comes from bad driving habits (usually stopping too fast and keeping the pads against the rotors keeping the heat in). I delivered pizza in my 90 Talon AWD and got over 30k out of a set of pads. Got over 50k on my 6 and i drive pretty hard. Brakes lasted longer than the tires did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry forgot to mention it's a 2016 mazda6 gt. I have some experience with different brakes, on my fiero I have ebc yellows with slotted rotors from r1 concepts. Great for better heat handling. As far as stock vehicles go I'm a bit disappointed in the perceived durability of the rotors. I really dont brake that hard, and the warpping seems worse. It seems like it started in the rain after they got wet, which reminds me of my old 86 Chevy.

Just curious if anyone has had an issue like this with these cars? Also what brake pads and rotors do you reccomend as replacement for stock? What about reasonable upgrades?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been considering some of the following:

Wagner thermoquiet
Centric posiquiet
Ac delco professional ceramic
Raybestos Element3

Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention it's a 2016 mazda6 gt. I have some experience with different brakes, on my fiero I have ebc yellows with slotted rotors from r1 concepts. Great for better heat handling. As far as stock vehicles go I'm a bit disappointed in the perceived durability of the rotors. I really dont brake that hard, and the warpping seems worse. It seems like it started in the rain after they got wet, which reminds me of my old 86 Chevy.

Just curious if anyone has had an issue like this with these cars? Also what brake pads and rotors do you reccomend as replacement for stock? What about reasonable upgrades?
Yes, I have had same issues with this car. Nothing to do with driving habits for me because I've owned multiple cars and this was the first to have it. I and a few other folks on this forum have replaced them with Powerstop Z23 Brake Rotors + Pads, and have not had any issues. They are a nearly dustless compound for fantastic daily driving, and will have no fade on a track and will stop the car with authority. I recommend them highly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm probably not the only one but does anyone else have issues with the rotors warping in these cars? I've had 2 sets that have warped. Anyways it's time to replace pads and rotors and was wondering what everyone goes with as far as pads and rotors are concerned? Looking for reasonably priced as I am still in college, I can do nicer upgrades after I finish school
I am on my original rotors at 67k miles (Mazda 6 Sport purchased Feb 2013). They are doing just fine. It developed a small groove along the circumference and has a little bit of rust because I don't drive a whole lot (short commute). Easily see getting another 10k miles before I replace them. Original pads lasted 45K and then replaced with Centric Posiquiet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I second the Powerstops.
You have the choice of rotor style as well with their kits.
Seems like people are liking powerstop and centric products. Were you able to get an entire kit for your car? All I can find on their website is the z23 kit for the front and not the rears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, My bad I told you wrong.
brakeperformance.com has kits with the different rotor styles.
That was another brand I had considered going with. I wound up going with powerstop based on past experience with their products and I wanted slotted and drilled rotors and I had a discount I was able to use by getting them at rock auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts