Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
throwing ideas out there for the CAI to have a much better flow of air. Would the removal of the lower fog light and/or molding holding it allow for THAT much better airflow?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
there's actually bumper behind the fog light housing. you'd need to cut out part of the bumper as well as the housing. another member has done exactly that, cut out bumper & housing and added a wire mesh.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i saw a picture where someone drilled holes in the fog light cover. He put the holes neatly between the XXXX's in the XXXX pattern next to the fog light.

XOXOXOX
XXOXOXX
XOXOXOX
XXOXOXX

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
hugs and kisses to you too :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know I have seen many people with NA fox body Muastangs do this, but does it really help?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
there's actually bumper behind the fog light housing. you'd need to cut out part of the bumper as well as the housing. another member has done exactly that, cut out bumper & housing and added a wire mesh.
[/b]
I just worked with my body shop...since they were replacing the front bumper (dang raccon), I drilled two 1.25 inch holes in the area next to the foglight (the xxxx area). I also had to drill the actually bumper face behind the foglight insert to allow clear passage of air to where the air filter is located. I initially tried drilling each of the "x" out, figured a couple larger holes would look better. I'm sure it doesn't add much, but as it's said above....it can't help.

Wayne

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did it to mine! Hears a picture. Worked just fine for me, and yes you have to cut the bumper behind the foglight assembly. No big deal! I love dremmels :love:
[/b]
Hey that looks good...you have a lot more patience than I did....I started and said "f" that.

Wayne

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks good. However, I'll throw this out...this will increase turbulence around the cone filter and a decrease in air flow. With the stock air inlets around the wheel wheel the air is essentially 'pushed' into the filter. That's why the lower air intake on the stock air intake resides in the same spot. Air coming in from the opposite side will decrease the effectiveness of the engineer's design and decrease air flow into the filter.

Having said this, good on you for trying something new and it does look very cool.

Hey--this si what car forums are about -- to discuss.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks good. However, I'll throw this out...this will increase turbulence around the cone filter and a decrease in air flow. With the stock air inlets around the wheel wheel the air is essentially 'pushed' into the filter. That's why the lower air intake on the stock air intake resides in the same spot. Air coming in from the opposite side will decrease the effectiveness of the engineer's design and decrease air flow into the filter.

Having said this, good on you for trying something new and it does look very cool.

Hey--this si what car forums are about -- to discuss.
[/b]

Yeah...that's the fun of the forum.

At that I would volunteer that those wheel well vents are actually for allowing the air to exit not enter. Therefore by adding vents on the front of front side of the wheel well area (like the fog light area) the air flow will increase....now, the bigger question is whether at our performance level (stock boost, cam, etc.) will be anything but a negligible gain? Obviously it will not add up to too much, but I guess I did it as more of an exercise in maximizing flow within a certain set of conditions....mine being without leaving out the fog light and without doing a huge amount of body modifcation.

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts