Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a Sirius tuner and wanted to tap into a 12v source, and saw that many people have tapped into the cig lighter.

I searched, but could not find any post where someone specifies how exactly to tap into the source.

Should I cut the lighter plug/adapter off the end of the cable supplied with the tuner and splice into the wire that feeds the cig lighter? Does this require soldering or will wire nuts do? Is it better to go directly to a switched circuit in the fuse box?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm no fan of scotchlock-like interconnectors. too high of a probability for failure.

there's no one way to do anything though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i'm no fan of scotchlock-like interconnectors. too high of a probability for failure.

there's no one way to do anything though.
[/b]
Never had a problem with them. In fact, the dealer-installed Mazda accessories use them as part of the kit for the shock-sensor upgrade as well as the autodimming mirror. I would imagine that if they had a tendency to be unreliable, Mazda wouldn't use them.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i ran a big box install bay for a couple of years. made more than a couple bucks fixing problems related to scotchlocks. if i recall from MECP standards tap & solder is the only authorized technique for this type of appilcation.

to each there own. you'll also find about a half dozen MAFci install problems related to the scotchlocks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i ran a big box install bay for a couple of years. made more than a couple bucks fixing problems related to scotchlocks. if i recall from MECP standards tap & solder is the only authorized technique for this type of appilcation.

to each there own. you'll also find about a half dozen MAFci install problems related to the scotchlocks.
[/b]
Good to know. Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect your expertise. I was thinking about this thread and my earlier statement about Mazda using the scotchlocks and I realized that the Mazda-supplied connectors are actually quite a bit different. They do clip on to tap into the wire, but when closed, they actually form a spade connector that the accessory wire clips onto. Without disconnecting the spade connector, there is no way to relieve pressure on the tapped wire (kind of hard to explain - you'd have to see it). I'd imagine with the Scotchlocks (like the ones I linked to), there is always a possibility of the plastic clip springing open. Is that the most common problem you'd seen with them?

I do agree that exposing the wire to be tapped and soldering the accessory wire directly to it is the best way to ensure a reliable connection. Again, I didn't mean to doubt your statement/experience, I hope you didn't take it that way.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
eveyone is entitled to opine. i take no offense to any opinion on this board. i'm not trying to impose my will & wants on the board either, merely providing a point of view. frankly, i'd be a little concerned if everyone agreed all the time. group think is a dangerous phenomenon.

i'm out of that line of work these days, now it's just a hobbie.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have used scotchlocks for a number of years and on numerous installations. They hold up pretty well but fail a few times when i half-assed the installation. I have discover that if you use pliers to crimp down the locks, it will hold up alot better. Also, if you do decide to use it make sure you as using the correct scotchlocks for the correct wire gauge, otherwise it will be too loose or too tight. I have had a few that lasted for years without any problems.

For a simple solution to the cigarette lighter tap, scotchlock is the easiest way to go. Easy access too! And without any worry of your car dying in the middle of the road because of a loose connection. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts