Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting use to driving my new V6 5speed and I was wondering for those that have driven stick for a while and who have a 6, whats the best way to launch from a dead stop for normal driving? I find that first gear has a lot of power, and I'm trying to launch smoothly and not scare the crap out of the person sitting next to me. I've tried launching form second, which isn't bad. Does this just come with more practice?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Best way to launch from a stop'

I actually managed to start on third on our driveway. Directly when we get out we turn left and a a very steep hill to go up... It did just fine :D

I (being a n00b in driving) manage to get third instead of first gear time to time. Frustrating but equally impressing when the car don't die on me :)

I think second is all right. If you are turning say left out on a larger road, you almost have to get into second gear before you reached your lane on the other side anyway... It smoother to go on second then since you don't have to rev it so much. Oh well sometimes it might be fun thou :D But in normal A > B driving it's not so practial... On first gear you really have to TRY not to accelerate to hard.

But just so you know - third works just as fine :p

·
Registered
791 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Best way to launch from a stop'

The best way to accelerate is still through first gear, though. Once you get accustomed to the clutch, it'll be easy to creep the car forward-- sometimes without even hitting the gas (a la an automatic).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts