Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is asinine, but what is the best tool to get the front crankshaft pulley back on after removal? Service manual mentions installing it with a pulley installer so I rented one from the auto parts store, but it is for power steering pulleys and I don't see any way to use it for this application. Would it be ridiculous to tap it back on with an appropriately sized socket and hammer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I did for my timing chain install was to heat the crankshaft housing with a heat gun a little. Didn't get it too hot so I could still hold it. So long as you aren't really banging on it, you'll be fine. The bolt for the pulley is also a fine thread so it will get you all the way in. Everything I read said to add a little RTV to seal the keyway. Not sure that that makes sense, but I did it anyway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, wound up renting a harmonic balancer installer from Autozone. However, the threads on the installer seemed a little shallow and the tool popped out of the crankshaft with the pulley about halfway on. I used the bolt to get it on the rest of the way. Had a moment of panic thinking I'd boogered up the threads, but the bolt held torque, so I'm going to wipe my brow and move on ¯\(ツ)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts