Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going to add headrest monitors, a video splitter and my sat radio, I want to hardwire the power for all of these, what is the best way to do this?, is there a wire I can add a splice to?, what is the best way to wire power to these things?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you could get by wiring just the sat to your cig lighter or radio, but the monitors & video will draw too much power.

if your adding all that, i'd recommend running a seperate fused power wire directly to the battery & switch the power through a relay to turn on and off with accessory.

or, if your daring, wire into the ignition harness at the accessory wire. ACC should be black or black/red. use a digital multi-meter to test wires first.

there are a couple of good write ups on this subject if you search.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can I splice into the 12v acc wire, the one located in the armrest??
[/b]
you should use that for the power to switch on/off a relay. That 12v wire in the armrest is not going to run enough juice to power multiple monitors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, can someone go into a little more detail on this relay and how to wire the monitors, or point me to some info on it, thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mk706, 2 more questions, what does the relay do exactly and can you show me a good fused power block to use? Most of the power blocks I have seen are made for big 4-6 gauge amp wires, can you get them for smaller wires?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you read through the page linked in the other thread it will explain relays. basically, the relay is an electric switch that will divert 12V run from the battery, to your equipment when the key is in the ACC or ON positions. to wire the relay, you'd connect one side to your battery using the newly run wire, one post to the 12V switched (grabbed at cig lighter, radio, etc), one to ground & one output to your fused block. you should be able to find a fused block for about $10 at any auto parts store, bby, cc, etc. or you can just splice two ends off the relay, but make sure to fuse again after the relay and before the devices in the back. the block makes this cleaner & easier.

if your running a couple of monitors, you'd be fine running a 10 gauge power flow kit. i've seen them at target for $4.5, or you can buy a name brand, like metra, or rockford fosgate for $20.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aight thanks!

So basically the montiors would be on the whole time without a relay; killing the battery. The relay makes them go on/off with the cars power to avoid this problem. Sorry I know nothing about electrical so I need it REAL nice and clear so I don't fry something ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aight thanks!

So basically the montiors would be on the whole time and the relay makes them go on/off with the cars power so not to drain the battery. Sorry I know nothing about electrical so I need it REAL nice and clear so I don't fry something ;)
[/b]
Not trying to be an asshole, but with the beginner nature of the questions that you are asking, you are going to be better off having a friend that knows what they are doing help you, or take it to a shop. You should watch someone who knows what they are doing, so that in the future you can do it. The last thing that you want to do is royally screw up a perfectly good car, which you could do if you make some bad electrical wiring decisions...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, my monitors have the black and red wire running to a black box, is this the relay?

Also, can I run them to a add-in fuse in the car's fuse box?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
please read the thred linked in my post above. this is a relay:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi, my monitors have the black and red wire running to a black box, is this the relay?

Also, can I run them to a add-in fuse in the car's fuse box? [/b]
I'm going to second the suggestion that you find someone competent in electrical wiring to do this for you. It's no insult meant to you but you simply do not understand what's involved and you're going to be heading for disaster if you attempt this without experienced help. trust me, if you don't even understand the theory of a simple relay and how to wire it into a circuit you're going to be lost with the project you've decided to undertake.

please, do yourself and your car a favor and take this project to a shop that does this kind of work. the extra money you spend will be small in comparison to what it will cost you to have someone re-do it correctly along with fixing any damage you've done to your car's electrical system if you attempt this project.

you've taken a wise first step in posting these questions here for help, but the best help any of us can offer you is to suggest having this done by a pro.........hope this helps.!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I sound like a newbie but I have installed 5 complete systems in cars without a hitch, I just have never needed to install a relay, even in the headrest monitors instructions it lists nothing about a relay, it just shows to connect the power to power and ground to a grounding point.

I have installed amps, replaced door speakers, rear speakers, adding aftermarket HU, subwoofers, etc so I do have some good knowledge, heck I even installed an overhead DVD player in my VAN!!, which by the way also made no mention of a relay, that is why I am wondering, is it already wired with these and that is why they don't mention it?

Why did I install my overhead DVD player and never had a problem and there was no mention of a relay?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
good luck & best wishes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats it uh? Wow I expected more from this group, when you need help I hope someone else treats you like this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok those links helped, my only other question is, how to hook up the relay, I mean, it looks like it plugs into something, do you just screw it to a mouting location and connect the wiring to it? I read somewhere that there are 4 wires to connect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts