Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to hit 1,500 miles and I thouht I read it was a good idea to go for an oil change to get out what ever little metal pieces and other byproducts of breaking in your engine are floating around in your oil. In addition, I want to switch to synthetic, and I've also heard the sooner the better. What do you guys think? How long can you go between oil changes with synthetic?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Best time to switch to synthetic oil'

Synth Vs. Dino is always hotly debated. Never resolved. Interval opinions range from 3000 to 15000. Is it better to use cheaper Dino oil at closer intervals or expensive Synth at longer? It's your money, your car, do what makes it right for you.

I would not exceed Mazda's recommended intervals. (at lest by a large amount). Could cause a warranty hassle if you have a problem. I will be switching over to Mobile 1 at about 1000mi. I've used it in both my Miatas and have been happy.

My only recommendation is to use a OEM Mazda oil filter. Mazda seems to spec. a high quality filter (for whoever makes them). On the Miata side, people keep looking at others but everybody seems to come back to the OEM filter. Many Miata have seen 250,000+ miles and are still running like new, with regular oil changes and an OEM filter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the advice, this is more of a engine protection thing than a way to save money, I'm going to drive the car hard, so I figure this is a good investment. I wasn't planning on going over the Mazda recommended intervals, with synthetic, I would change it every 7K. My question is how do you get that OEM filter? I'm not changing the oil myself, so does that mean I have to get the dealer to do it?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Brillo, I just wish to share this with you as to your question of change intervals:

FTC regulations state: “© No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if – (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.” (42 U.S.C. 2302 ©)

That means your warranty stands when you use Synthetic Lubricants no matter what oil was used from factory.

Vehicle manufacturers recommend lubricants according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it’s conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade, 5W-30 for example, and the current API SL and ILSAC GF-3 North American service classifications may be used without affecting warranty coverage.

Furthermore, the practice of extending oil drain intervals does not void warranties. Original equipment manufacturers pay or deny warranty claims based on findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn’t cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.

(These facts from AMSOIL's website www-1st-in-synthetics.com)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Filters can be bought at any dealer parts dept or ordered online thru a Mazda dealer like Mazda South in Austin, TX. www.mazdastuff.com. Most quick change shops will give you a small credit if you bring your own oil filter.

If you will be driving the car "hard' then I would suggest you shorten up on the interval to every 5000. Summer dusty season, maybe even shorter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well, I tried to change the oil out yesterday to no avail, niether Mazda for jiffy lube has a filter for the M6 yet :) Mazda will get one on Monday for me. Question... should I pay the extra $50 to have jiffylube do any engine oil power flush before putting the mobil 1 in the car? I would think this would be a good idea since I'm trying to get rid of all the little metal shavings, and other particles as a result of the engine breakin...what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Me too. Honestly: there ARE no shavings or metal particles in your new engine. This isn't a 1952 Opel Kadett... this is a low friction Mazda engine from 2002...

In the slight chance that there are even the smallest such particles, they go with your oil filter, or they are stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the oil tray...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.