Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already know all about how much better CAI'S are and about heat soak. Im going for more of sound at lower rpms and for an agressive tone. I know cai's are better i dont care. So what sri's sound the best on a 2005 Mazda 6i. Thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The ones that don't turn ur engine into toast :sarc: So basically ur willing to sacrifice the practicality of your car, let alone it's engine life, just for sound? But seriously, i have no clue about SRIs since they are the lesser used.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you want more sound remove the engine cover 1st of all. A CAI will sound just as loud as a SRI too...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
as smokeu6s stated. a SRI will sound just as lous as a CAI. so might as well get a CAI and get better gains and cooler air. just common sense

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not my call, thats why cai is out of the question. A sri cant really damage your enging correct. When i say damage i mean make you have to buy another new engine.

you guys also make it seem like with the hood down the engine cabin ara tempeture is 500 degrees its seems like its maybe fifty degrees at most hotter then outside temp

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
just because it feels that way when you put your hand on top of it doesnt mean thats how hot it is IN the actual engine. if you get a SRI, just get something to put around the filter so the engine doesnt absorb ALL the hot air.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
you guys also make it seem like with the hood down the engine cabin ara tempeture is 500 degrees its seems like its maybe fifty degrees at most hotter then outside temp
[/b]
Uh...Having actually worked under the car after a drive, I can testify that it does get crazy hot under there. Definitely greater than 50 deg than ambient.

But I digress...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just because it feels that way when you put your hand on top of it doesnt mean thats how hot it is IN the actual engine. if you get a SRI, just get something to put around the filter so the engine doesnt absorb ALL the hot air.
[/b]
thanx for the first respons that actually helps me. i know id rather get a cai but like i said its not my decision. So id rather have an sri over nothing. My main point is to give it a more agressive sound then stock without doing exhaust. I am also planning to do the airbox mod. So like i said are there certain sris that sound better than others. What is the actual name of the thing that goes around the filter to protect it from all the hot air.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
if all your looking for is sound. then just do the air box mod....you wont be dissappointed. trust me. and you can either do the airbox mod, OR an intake. not both. the thing that goes around the filter is called a "heat shield"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, the airbox mod will give you the best sound here, if that's all you want. Just do that and stop wasting your time with SRIs. They're pointless.

Pretty sure we've been over this at least 10 times with you though, so saying it again probably won't make any difference.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I agree, Airbox mode is free. Also remove the dam engine cover, you will be able to hear the engine more... also free

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Nope... I can't recommend SRI over CAI. That's why I wrote "If you have to go with SRI..."

The reason why I gave you that link is because the intake is cool looking, different than the rest SRI. Other than that, I still recommend you getting CAI.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
basically im 17 and its my parents car. they arent thrilled iwth it as it is. But my neighbor drove down our street one rainy day and our street always gets flooded. And he ruined his engine iwth a cai. So they are completly against it. U guys make it seem like the sri will blow the engine. Everyone else i talked to says yes u wotn get the same results but no damage could be done as much as the cai. I know it has to be submerge but with my neighbor havent it done on my street my parents dont want it at all. Legally its their car

·
Registered
901 Posts
basically im 17 and its my parents car. they arent thrilled iwth it as it is. But my neighbor drove down our street one rainy day and our street always gets flooded. And he ruined his engine iwth a cai. So they are completly against it. U guys make it seem like the sri will blow the engine. Everyone else i talked to says yes u wotn get the same results but no damage could be done as much as the cai. I know it has to be submerge but with my neighbor havent it done on my street my parents dont want it at all. Legally its their car
[/b]
Do the airbox mod. Thats all you need if you want sound. You wil actually lose power with an SRI and you will have spent money for it. BTW...Ive nver had a problem with my CAI which Ive had one for over a year now. And I drive through large puddles all the time. Not to mention Im lowered and I live out in the country in Nebraska(Where id be drivin through a lot of snow)

BTW...engine temps can get up over 200 degrees. Thats a helluva lot more than 50 degrees above ambient...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SRI will not damage your engine. But we're all against it because it doesn't make sense to install one. You're spending money on something that will decrease the performance of the car. Also, your fuel economy might be worse with it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Dude, I know that you want it to look cool when you raise the hood. I mean that's what we are talking about here right? But the only people who think that SRI's look cool are tools who have no idea what they are talking about. Just do the airbox mod. I am truly sorry that it wont look "cool", but it wont look lame either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts