Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in buying a new BOV but cant find too much information about the different brands for the Speed6. For those who have bought or are knoledgable about any of these brands, what's your oppinion? I would like to know what is the most efficient/sounds the best. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Im interested in buying a new BOV but cant find too much information about the different brands for the Speed6. For those who have bought or are knoledgable about any of these brands, what's your oppinion? I would like to know what is the most efficient/sounds the best. Thanks in advance
I've only heard the stocker, and my new HKS bov. Whatever BPV you get, you should set it to recirc, and not VTA. If you're looking for a great sound, it's probably neither of these. The HKS makes this weird fluttering sound, and the stocker is pretty quiet. However, my stocker purged, and almost sounded like it was VTA under WOT shifting. But that was with the stage 2 tune. Some people thought it was leaking air, which it may have, buy I was holding steady boost the whole time.

Also, from what I've read, the Forge BPV makes an odd "Ka-CHingg" sound that a lot of people find very annoying.

Not sure about the other bpvs our there (turbosmarts, GRredy, etc..), but I"m sure some people with those will chime in. It is very subjective, but you prob won't care for the HKS if it is set up to recirc, which it should be. Hope that helps.

EDIT:
Bova made these two vids of the HKS bpv set to recirc. I hope he doesn't mind me stealing his videos here. This is exactly what it sounds like:

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had both the HKS (which I still have) and the forge and I've actually been sticking with the forge. I like the ching better then the flutter sound. Plus the tunability with the forge is so damn simple. Unscrew, add a different spring and you're good to go! Though down the line I might try the HKS again, I'm not ready to sell it just yet.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I think the factory bpv makes a pretty sweet sound, once the intake is modified.
They all sound better with an FMIC.
HKS sounds good. Turbosmart sounds good. Can't vouch for Synapse.
The Forge is...odd. But, Ive put one on the car for now, and like it because i've managed to get it to hold boost well, and actuate well at PT.

Reactions: Billrunyon

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
HKS hands down, I had the Forge and yes it was tuneable but its a bitch to get it right. It actually ruined my first turbo. Fluttered too much, I guess. The HKS is plug it in and forget it, but everyone has their own opinion. I had the HKS also in my first turbo car so I will forever trust in it.

Reactions: Billrunyon

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I also thought the Forge would be difficult to "tune". But, I managed to set it straight. And it does indeed hold about an additional pound of boost over the OE bpv.
I once had the TS valve. It sounds great, but I could never keep it from fluttering at PT, even at its soft most setting. But, I think I was running less boost back when I had it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i love hks, been useing their bov's since the 90's

the old forge ping is a love it or hate it, personaly i love it

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thanks, I heard that the HKS hits the hood on Speed6s.. anyone know anymore about that?
it hits the vanity plate on the topmount sover if you dont have it clocked right (you can cut the plate, it just hides some wireing, it doesnt do anything)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I do have a question about the HKS, on people who have it does your flange move slightly on the bottom or is it solidly in place? I had to go and buy C-pillar clamps to put mine on and broke the clamps in the process. So while I was running it it seemed that it fluttered a lot and I wasn't sure if I was leaking due to the flange. Everyone loves the HKS so that why I decided to hold onto it just in case. Could that have caused a problem?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The flange shouldnt move at all. Also make sure the unit doesnt swivel either. It should be hard to move. Make sure when you install it that the C clamp in on properly. I had to re-do mines when I had my custom FMIC done and the shop that did it put it on wrong...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do have a question about the HKS, on people who have it does your flange move slightly on the bottom or is it solidly in place? I had to go and buy C-pillar clamps to put mine on and broke the clamps in the process. So while I was running it it seemed that it fluttered a lot and I wasn't sure if I was leaking due to the flange. Everyone loves the HKS so that why I decided to hold onto it just in case. Could that have caused a problem?
Stop breaking C-pilla clamps Sucka! Does it sound like the Bova's vids in post#2? I've only driven mines minimally since I have a boost leak, but it does flutter quite a bit. What surprised me is that it flutters while in vacuum. Like if I give it gas to go from -19 vac to -1 vac, and let off, it flutters. I look forward to hearing what it sounds like under normal WOT with 19 PSI jamming through there and zero leaks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
ok it def swivels...i'll have to get go get more clamps to try and fix this up.

Doug maybe you could hook a brother up with some clamps since you've been running up you're bill buying mods and all you could just add in some clamps haha. Mine does make the flutter sound when it was on just like yours. If it wasn't boosting around 10 psi it would make that sound. When you when wot and left off it sounded great. Just low boost sucked (probably due to flange being on wrong) so I switch to the forge which is great even at low boost.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
ok it def swivels...i'll have to get go get more clamps to try and fix this up.

Doug maybe you could hook a brother up with some clamps since you've been running up you're bill buying mods and all you could just add in some clamps haha. Mine does make the flutter sound when it was on just like yours. If it wasn't boosting around 10 psi it would make that sound. When you when wot and left off it sounded great. Just low boost sucked (probably due to flange being on wrong) so I switch to the forge which is great even at low boost.
I would bro, but I'm broke as a joke. Getting all those mods in the past few months put me in the poor house. I think I'm gonna apply for food stamps next week, lol. Oh, so it sounds quite different when you're boosting it up? That's encouraging. I have only been into boost twice since it went on because of the damn boost leaks. EMS is gonna patch em up for me on Thrusday. Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to get the leaks fixed, and a quick tune. I don't like driving her w/ the leaks, so I've really been missing just cruising around in here :(

How's life treating you up in VT?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Life is good they just started building my house finally! However it actually cost me money to sell my condo so you know what that means....no AP for me. I barely managed to get my wife to let me get my exhaust, and I had to compromise and only get a single exit.

I finally got a chance to get some stuff done on my car and re-do some stuff and got it to stop smoking. It was a mix between the PTP smokey turbo fix and the bnoon bolt. The bolt was cake to put in and stopped the smoking right afterwards. Plus I had never taken the TMIC off before and gave me a chance to take a look at everything. As soon as I get into my damn house I'll be able to do a lot more work on my car instead of doing it in the god damn parking lot!!!! I know you know how shitty it is.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Life is good they just started building my house finally! However it actually cost me money to sell my condo so you know what that means....no AP for me. I barely managed to get my wife to let me get my exhaust, and I had to compromise and only get a single exit.

I finally got a chance to get some stuff done on my car and re-do some stuff and got it to stop smoking. It was a mix between the PTP smokey turbo fix and the bnoon bolt. The bolt was cake to put in and stopped the smoking right afterwards. Plus I had never taken the TMIC off before and gave me a chance to take a look at everything. As soon as I get into my damn house I'll be able to do a lot more work on my car instead of doing it in the god damn parking lot!!!! I know you know how shitty it is.
Cool man. Take your skirt off, and order an AP. Sell some of her shoes or something. Or you could rent the basement out to high school kids and let them smoke jabbas down there.... gotta be a way to get you an AP!!

Glad you got the smoke under control! Is that the bolt you mailed me, I never tried, and mailed you back? lol. I wasn't smoking then... I am now. maybe I'll try that bolt. You got a linky for me? I'm happy for your house and garage man! Congrats!!
----------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO, I'm changing my opinion on the HKS bov. I went out to the store, and since the boost leaks aren't that bad, I went full WOT a few times after she warmed up. The HKS sounds nice under WOT shifts. There was none of that fluttering business. Sounded good. I'll know more tomorrow when I'm romping on it when the leaks are gone for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts