Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product to use on our dashboard? Preferably keeping it nice and clean, and a glossy black look.

Also, safe to use on our dash.
I dont want my dashboard cracking or drying out after applying a product on it?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Trust me on this, you do not want the dash to be glossy. You'll get all kinds of reflections on the windshield that will impair your vision. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on ALL plastic, rubber, and vinyl surfaces in the interior. It's not glossy, but leaves a deep, rich look and it has UV protection to keep the dash from cracking. I also ues it on all door seals and waetherstriping . 303 can be found at most marine supply stores and online at places like www.autogeek.net.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me on this, you do not want the dash to be glossy. You'll get all kinds of reflections on the windshield that will impair your vision. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on ALL plastic, rubber, and vinyl surfaces in the interior. It's not glossy, but leaves a deep, rich look and it has UV protection to keep the dash from cracking. I also ues it on all door seals and waetherstriping . 303 can be found at most marine supply stores and online at places like www.autogeek.net.[/b]
haha, ill take your advice on the non-glossy dash. the 303 sounds good, but i need the interior to be clean asap and wont have the leisure of waiting for online package to ship. is there anything that i can pick up at a local autozone or pepboys that will have similar effects??

·
Registered
42 Posts
303 Works nicely, although some batches have a funky odor to them. Optimum Protectant Plus is another good one. Recently I've been using Finish Kare's 108 Top Coat - nice product with a nice scent as well.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The funky odor with 303 occurs when the product becomes frozen. I've left a few bottles in my shed over the winter and they did smell kinda nasty. I just used the remainder on exterior trim and tires. Doesn't seem to affect the function of the product, but not a smell you'd want in your interior. I agree with Seven, Optimum Protectant Plus has several good reviews from detailers on Autopia.org.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Trust me on this, you do not want the dash to be glossy. You'll get all kinds of reflections on the windshield that will impair your vision. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on ALL plastic, rubber, and vinyl surfaces in the interior. It's not glossy, but leaves a deep, rich look and it has UV protection to keep the dash from cracking. I also ues it on all door seals and waetherstriping . 303 can be found at most marine supply stores and online at places like www.autogeek.net.[/b]
I completely agree with the 303. It is great stuff. I use it on my motorcycle too. I purchased mine at a Marine Supply store. Seems like all the boating guys use it on their seats and rubber on their boats to keep them looking good. It's also got an SPF to protect your rubbers from UV damage.

NRA

·
Registered
79 Posts
DO NOT USE ARMORALL!

I've seen it eat paint of interior trim and radios. Worst product ever. I generally just wipe it down with a moist microfiber towel, maybe a little meguires.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
DO NOT USE ARMORALL!

I've seen it eat paint of interior trim and radios. Worst product ever. I generally just wipe it down with a moist microfiber towel, maybe a little meguires.[/b]
yeah dont use armorall!!!!!

i got some meguiers interior wipes. i havent used them yet but this upcoming weekend i plan on it.[/b]
Wow, I've used ArmorAll original on every car I've ever owned and I've never had a problem, or even heard of someone who has until now. What kind of car did it do that to?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
466 Posts
303, Optimum Protectant Plus and Poorboy's Natural Look all offer a nice matte look with excellent UV protection. 303 has a stronger scent, Optimum is rather neutral while Natural Look has a cherry scent. UV protection is the key thing to look for.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ive been using armor-all wipes on my wagon. Cleaning wipes, then protectant wipes. Once done I wipe the whole thing down with a clean-ish micro-fiber towel to even out the finnish and give it a semi-gloss look. Two years plus and my interior looks damn near new.

I will also say that when using my shop-vac on my interior I put a super soft long bristle attachment and vacum out all the dust from my vents, buttons and nooks and crannies in the dash. Keeps it from getting that "fuzz" you see on so many dashes even though the car is clean.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would still like to know why emor8t and lazybusinessman both said not to use ArmorAll. Come on guys..if you're gonna bash a product at least back up your comments!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
haha, ill take your advice on the non-glossy dash. the 303 sounds good, but i need the interior to be clean asap and wont have the leisure of waiting for online package to ship. is there anything that i can pick up at a local autozone or pepboys that will have similar effects??[/b]
Go to the 303 website and click on the "Where to Buy" link at the top of the page to find a location near you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would still like to know why emor8t and lazybusinessman both said not to use ArmorAll. Come on guys..if you're gonna bash a product at least back up your comments![/b]

Didn't you read the part where I said it eats trim and button paint? I mean, I dunno about you but I like to know which preset I'm hitting on my radio.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Didn't you read the part where I said it eats trim and button paint? I mean, I dunno about you but I like to know which preset I'm hitting on my radio.[/b]
Yes I read that, but I was hoping for more detailed information since I've used it on 8 different cars and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts