Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and test-drove a Saturn Aura today (had to know what a current Opel is like). It had the wheels below. When I commented that they were good-looking wheels, the salesman said "They're actually hubcaps." I thought, "No way!" Sure enough, I walked up to them and they are hubcaps. They are without doubt, the best-looking hubcaps I've ever seen! Had me fooled. I thought they were aluminum wheels!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I walked up to them and they are hubcaps.
[/b]
:nana:
And your point is?

Or are you going COMPLETELY soft now? Ditching Toyo T1-Rs and alloy wheels for steelies, hubcaps and (*gasp*) All Seasons? Whom will we turn to for tire advice now?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:nana:
And your point is?
[/b]
:laugh: I don't know. I guess I was so impressed that I was fooled!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I get your point, Toyo guy. It's not that you like them because they are steelies, it's that you appreciate them because they don't look like it. I say woo-hoo to the common folk! You can have your steelies and look good, too!!! :laugh:

That new Aura does look pretty nice. How did it drive? The writeups say it is nice, but not as sporting as a 6. More on the lines of an Accord. It does look good though. That parked next to a Sky Redline in my garage would be kind of sweet! :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I
That new Aura does look pretty nice. How did it drive? The writeups say it is nice, but not as sporting as a 6. More on the lines of an Accord. It does look good though. That parked next to a Sky Redline in my garage would be kind of sweet! :yesnod:
[/b]

Ewww.

Have you seen/heard any 'real' car reviewers honest opinionas about the Vectra family of 'vehicles'? They hate 'em. Hunt down some youtube rips from Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson ripping on that POS.

I say, for two cars of that type, get a Mazda 6 and a Miata (or wait for the Mazdaspeed Miata) instead. But I bet you already knew that.

I refrained from any Vectra bashing earlier because toyoguy started this as a hubcap thread :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get your point, Toyo guy. It's not that you like them because they are steelies, it's that you appreciate them because they don't look like it. I say woo-hoo to the common folk! You can have your steelies and look good, too!!! :laugh:

[/b]
Yeah, that really was my point. You can get a base car with steelies and the hubcaps on them look as good or better than many alloys out there. As far as the drive went, it was pretty good, although I really didn't get to push it hard. The 3.6 V6 is okay, not a lot of torque down low, but really moves when you stomp the throttle. I was surprised how firm the ride was, though. Much firmer than the 6 (this was the XR model with 18 inch wheels). It had a ton of features and the interior was pretty nice (not all of the models have that awful wood trim, this one had "aluminum-look" plastic). All in all, a pretty good car for the money, I just don't see me paying sticker price for one per Saturn's policy. :(

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The same thing happened to me with the new Altima hub caps. I felt stupid.

·
Registered
900 Posts
All in all, a pretty good car for the money, I just don't see me paying sticker price for one per Saturn's policy. :(
[/b]
Actually Saturn has back door " incentives" alot of the time, so you don't always pay sticker. ;)

Thanks for the response. It is a nice looking car. I was just wondering how they drove. No manual trans with the 3.6L, though. Oh, well. :(

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to mention test driving a saturn?????
[/b]
Despite the badge on the car, I consider it to be an Opel. :closedeyes:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Despite the badge on the car, I consider it to be an Opel. :closedeyes:
[/b]

Precisely. And as Jeremy Clarkson said, the worst car he had ever driven on the show. The show being "Top Gear" ... in case you thought he hosted a cooking show.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Precisely. And as Jeremy Clarkson said, the worst car he had ever driven on the show. The show being "Top Gear" ... in case you thought he hosted a cooking show.
[/b]
I don't watch Top Gear, what can I say? Even if I did, I prefer to drive the car myself and form my own opinion.

*EDIT* ashutoshsm, thanks for the earlier suggestion to search Youtube. I found the test of both the Vectra and Astra. That was interesting. I imagine if I pushed the car in the same manner, it would have gotten ugly, but it was simply a drive down a straight boulevard. I also imagine if I bought an Aura, I wouldn't have bought it because I was looking for performance characteristics, because I don't think it's being marketed that way. Scary understeer, though I can't imagine anyone driving that way on the street!

·
Registered
814 Posts
^^^ :D I tell you everytime I see those on the road I hold my breath it doesnt break off and frisbee its way into my radiator like a ninja star.

And those saturn hubs are sweet..Im still trying to figure out how it has five spokes, unless the steely wheel is five spoked as well. That in itself would be cool too.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And those saturn hubs are sweet..Im still trying to figure out how it has five spokes, unless the steely wheel is five spoked as well. That in itself would be cool too.
[/b]
Yep. The steely is 5 spoke.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts