Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forums,

What is everybody using for the air filter in their Gen 3? Has anybody tried the K&N?

I'm talking about for the factory airbox.

Let me know!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Whatever you decide I would suggest you make it a Dry filter. Oiled filters do nothing but cause problems.

Not the answer you're looking for but the best filter for your car is the OEM filter.
I thought about getting the AEM dry filter, do you think it’s a solid option? I was thinking of getting it for convenience because it’s reusable.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Hey forums,

What is everybody using for the air filter in their Gen 3? Has anybody tried the K&N?

I'm talking about for the factory airbox.

Let me know!
The Mazda OEM one.

Seriously.

I have measured the restriction from it. There is an effective zero. How? The Tactrix interface I have for doing the OVT process can log off the MSCAN bus (the medium-speed bus -- not the slow OBD one that the cheap ELM interfaces talk to) in real time.

I have a filter "change" indicator that I added to the factory airbox as well, which I added. It reads the HIGHEST restriction since reset (which you do by pushing it in at the top); identical unit in design and operation as the one on my Chevy Truck. It reads zero.

There's no improvement to be had but there's materially worse filtration to be had, which may play he|| with your MAF sensor and potentially also accelerate engine wear.

Don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Speaking of OEM parts, does anybody have a recommendation for buying them online?
I usually go to RockAuto for my parts, then JimEllisMazdaParts or MAZMART for those tough-to-find ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep,, rich at south bay mazda in worthless southern calif.
We service the website.
Go to mazda-parts.com
don't forget the dash,,, look up the parts create an order and we will fill it and ship it.
Lower 48 states only. No alaska or hawaii ups thrashes the parts 100% of the time
thanx, rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts