Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bit the bullet and got black, so I better learn to like the car wash. In addition any thoughts on best waxes, cleaners etc.? Whats the best way to wash and wax? How often should you wax?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Best Car Exterior Care Products'

Never wash. Never wax.

Well, wash you have to, but it's easy. But you never have to was.

My secret?

Paint protection. I use Toughguard, it's a remarkable product. Keep the paint look new for ten years or more!

www.toughguard.com

Trust me on this one. I promise. But put it on DIRECTLY when your car is new for best result. (I had the dealer drive it to a car care shop and do this before I even picked it up).

·
Registered
319 Posts

Zaino is magical stuff, and has been consistently rated the top car paint product all over the place. It is not cheap (it'll run you a good $80 for the basics); but it goes a long way, and stays on the paint for a MUCH longer time than carnabua waxes. You can also layer it on itself. I have 3 layers on my Acura right now, but I've heard some Corvette owners have 15+ layers on their cars.

If you want t a wax, this is the best stuff. check out http://www.zainobros.com for information. There are regional areas that have their own distributor, so everything will be contained there.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I've had great luck with using an Eagle1 polish and wax (a 2 in 1 product) on my green 323. And it comes with a matchbox car. Also, have had good results with Meguires Carnuba wax. I wax mine about every 3 or 4 months and the coat gleams like new and its almost 2 years old... I constantly get compliments on how good it looks.

I like the Eagle1 soap alot. Good cheap soap Polyglaze.

I have heard good things about some of the other products as well, but the ones I've mentioned only cost about $15 Australian a bottle.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Never use Carnuba on cars that are white or similar light colors. The reason is the carnuba wax turns yellow in a while. It doesn't show on a green car, though!:D

Sure waxing is cheaper than paint treatment. But it's no way near as good.

·
Registered
231 Posts

The Carnuba works great on my Grace Green Astina. Never heard of the yellowing theory before... I'll keep that in mind when I by my own Mazda6 since I really like the Silver Contrail.

In Australia Carnuba Wax is great sun protection. My big threat is sun and dust--I guess the dust is more of an annoyance and I don't live on the coast. That treatment you used on your car looks like it works great, my grandmother in Canada had her car done with the Ziebart treatment underneath and whatever the same company does to the body and it lasted a long time. She had 10 year old Cavalier with no rust whatsoever--drove it in the winter every winter and stored it outside. It got smashed up and the guy at the bodyshop couldn't believe it.

I like my Eagle1 2in1 wax polish, I reccommend it to cheapskates lke me and it is not a Carnuba.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I used wax before, there are several good ones. But the work!! The paint treatment not only protects and make the car get that wet look, it also makes the car easy to wash. Dirt doesn't stick to it, since it reduces electrostatical charges.

The carnuba is perfect on a green car since the yellowing only enhances the green (green is actually a mix of blue and yellow light). But as I suggested: be careful with it on a paint like for example the Silver Contrail.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I took Steve's advice and used the toughguard, I can feel a difference over the wax that came on the car. I would say its worth the ~$200 to have your dealer do it. You can really see the shine, even at night.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You won't regret it! I am very pleased with the shine, and dirt doesn't seem to stick to it! It gets much less dirty than an untreated car. Good choice, Brillo!:D

·
Registered
205 Posts

Steve,

In your experience, does the Toughguard actually last 5 years as they claim?

And how does Toughguard do with the salt and other nasty winter stuff?

And BTW, I'm asking because I'll probably get a Mazda6 this Spring - Canadian GS-I4 with Sport Group!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, it does hold for five years. And more.

It is very resistant against even salt and the harsh winter conditions here in Sweden. The dirt just seem to fall off. And when it's washed it gets that really new car look back.

Good luck with your purchase!:)

K

·
0 Posts

Hi, I'm seriously considering purchasing ToughGuard as I am waiting for my black 6!

Just a few questions:

Is it okay to apply it myself? The instructions on the website make it seem very easy.

How much Toughguard would i need for say 3 medium sized cars?

thanks!

edit: if anyone in Australia is interested in ToughGuard, let me know and we might be able to get it a little cheaper with the "3 for price of 2" deal and saving on shipping.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, you can apply it yourself, but it lasts better if applied using professional polishing machines (not of the 40 buck type you buy yourself at the gas station).

I don't know for sure how much you need (didn't apply mine myself); but according to what it says on the website, I guess about 1 1/2 bottle...

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Junkan, you should be careful what you write. And you should do more thorough research before making such claims.

If you check again, the only - ONLY - site that is about Toughguard is www.toughguard.com, the others are similar products. The reason they give hits when searching for Toughguard in google is because they have put the brandname of their competitors within the meta tags of the code. It's like when you search for BMW and get a hit for SEAT or similar...

Toughguard is a very serious product, used here in Sweden for many years. In Sweden, the product is imported and sold by Lahega chemicals (www.lahega.se I think) and their resellers.

I would risk my reputation to back up the brand name of Toughguard, it's an excellent - I mean EXCELLENT! - product.

:)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You can't rule that out, no. But if you check at least one of the sites claimed using a Teflon compound, but Toughguard is not, it's a Acrylic based compound.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts