Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm sorry if this has been covered recently, but I was unable to find any threads less than a year or two old discussing good boost gauges... and the ones I have found are hit or miss at best. If there are any and I've missed them, let me know!

I'm looking for a 52mm gauge that's less than $180 or so... I've been looking at the VEI Systems gauge... I like it, but I think I'd prefer something analog to match the interior a little better. I've scoped out the Mad Dad's gauge, and that one looks really nice. DEFI and STRI gauges look nice too, but the DEFI ones are a bit pricey... And I found some people have said that the STRI gauges aren't all that great? Right now, I'm leaning towards the Mad Dad's one... Daddy's SCP - Home of MadDad Performance / MadDad Exhausts for Subaru and BMW

Any info is appreciated, so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I completely forgot about Autometer! They do have some nice looking gauges too. They are expensive, but I guess with a lifetime warranty, you get what you pay for, huh? I'll have to check out some of the prosport ones too. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
+5 for a n00b doing his homework and trying a search first. The search feature on here isn't exactly google-esque either.

Those DEFI gauges are tight, but very expensive (money better spent under the hood imo), but you can't go wrong with autometer. I'm not sure if the DEFI ones are mechanical or not? But definitely go with a mechanical gauge... autometers are accurate, which is obviously the most important. If I want digital (I don't), I'll look at my DH. (Make sure to get a DH btw). As Superskates told me.. "DH=Best Investment Ever." He wasn't kidding, and I don't leave home without my DH.

As for the Prosport you linked, EMS just bought one of those, and it looks great. HOWEVER, he was telling me (and I could see) that you can't see the damn thing during the day very well, because of excessive glare. It looks $$ at night and matches the interior perfectly, but he was saying it's very difficult to see during the day. And he has it mounted in the same Block8head defogger pod mount as most people do. Just and FYI... ask EMS about his... looks like the exact same one I saw in his car last week.

I don't like the looks of the Daddy you linked because of the 'visor,' but that is probably exactly what you need to avoid the daytime glare. I'm not sure how well that works at preventing glare though anyways? I dunno.

GL with the gauge!

Reactions: 2K7MS6

·
Registered
548 Posts
glare isnt that bad but it is somewhat annoying. i'm getting this shit tinted in the next month anyway so problem all but solved. prosports are cheap, every once and a while they kick out a gauge that is not calibrated very well. easy fix, send it back. the warranty sucks but who cares at like $38 bucks. it works and it's $38. seems to be acurate as well.

the color is dead on as well. at night it's a tiny bit brighter than the dash and day it's alittle bit duller as i didn't bother setting it to adjust with the dimmer cuz i was lazy it fits in no matter what the dash is doing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+5 for a n00b doing his homework and trying a search first. The search feature on here isn't exactly google-esque either.

Those DEFI gauges are tight, but very expensive (money better spent under the hood imo), but you can't go wrong with autometer. I'm not sure if the DEFI ones are mechanical or not? But definitely go with a mechanical gauge... autometers are accurate, which is obviously the most important. If I want digital (I don't), I'll look at my DH. (Make sure to get a DH btw). As Superskates told me.. "DH=Best Investment Ever." He wasn't kidding, and I don't leave home without my DH.

As for the Prosport you linked, EMS just bought one of those, and it looks great. HOWEVER, he was telling me (and I could see) that you can't see the damn thing during the day very well, because of excessive glare. It looks $$ at night and matches the interior perfectly, but he was saying it's very difficult to see during the day. And he has it mounted in the same Block8head defogger pod mount as most people do. Just and FYI... ask EMS about his... looks like the exact same one I saw in his car last week.

I don't like the looks of the Daddy you linked because of the 'visor,' but that is probably exactly what you need to avoid the daytime glare. I'm not sure how well that works at preventing glare though anyways? I dunno.

GL with the gauge!
Thanks doug! I agree that there comes a point where the money is better spent under the hood, rather than on a gauge. As for the daddy's one, I think that visor is optional... not sure though? And the DH is on my wishlist... But it's going to have to wait until... probably next year. This winter I'm planning on picking up a set of wheels... and then all you guys will make fun of me for my lifted car, so I'm probably going to have to pick up some springs... lol This car has a neat way of sucking cash from my wallet!

I'm going to a Jeg's store today with a friend and I'm going to look at some of the gauges they have there to get an idea of what some of them look like in person. I'll post pics if I pick one up! Thanks for the help, guys.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have an STRI SLM II gauge and haven't had a single problem with it. I have it mounted in front of my instrument cluster and the gauge trim ring and font style match the stock tack and odometer very well. Color is just a tad more red but barely noticeable. I'm very pleased with it, the warning and peak hold features are very nice too. Also having installed several brands of gauges, it has a nice and small connector making passing the wires through the firewall to the sending unit less painful.

I started with a prosport but switched to the STRI because it didn't work. During my P3 days we also installed one for a client where only the white illumination wire worked and not the amber.

·
Registered
548 Posts
yes they are. i actually plan on upgrading later on but this will work just fine and matches perfectly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when it rains it pours

Well guys, thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately, as of yesterday afternoon, boost gauge is on hold... someone hit the back of my car and wrinkled up the bumper and dented the trunk... :angry: This all comes in the wake of $1500 in transmission repairs to my wife's car... and I just got an estimate for my car... $1200!!!!! :eek: I've had the car for 2 effing months... I (only) have to pay $500 for the deductible and insurance will cover the rest... but that's $500 I didn't want to spend.

Whatever... shit happens, right? Just wish I wasn't the one getting shit on!

Thanks for letting me vent... haha
I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Did some low life hit your car parked and they weren't decent enough to leave info?

I don't have the vocabulary to convey the anger I feel towards that.

Reactions: efispeed and 2K7MS6

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some low life hit your car parked and they weren't decent enough to leave info?

I don't have the vocabulary to convey the anger I feel towards that.
Pretty much, yeah. I feel the same way. Same thing happened with my last car... I just never got it fixed. But I refuse to leave this one that way, especially since it's only 2 months old (to me).

I guess on the bright side, nobody got hurt and the damage is minimal... relatively simple repair. It could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to the carbon trunk. :)

and who knows, it might be the cheaper route to go
Hmm... didn't think of that... however, as much as I love the look of raw CF, I don't think I could do an entire trunk in it... so I'd have to have it painted, which I sort of feel is a shame to do to beautiful CF. Plus, nothing else is CF on the car... yet... Do you know of a place that sells CF trunks for the 6? (I know, excessive use of the abbr CF)

Also, any pictures of a ...CF... trunk on a 6?

edit: found the fiber images trunk on SU and RPM's websites...

·
Registered
548 Posts
i hate the look of CF, i always planned on having my CF Vented hood painted on my Rx8 but it was totaled and lead me to the MS6. this will be my fast as Fuck family car.

I love the idea of CF but hate that everyone has to ask, Hey is that CF? no i painted my regular hood to look like CF cuz i'm a Fucking idiot...and i had a ton of time on my hands.

CF is great but deserves to be painted and left as a "function" piece and not a "form" piece. I think it looks retarded unpainted, unless it's a small section that is left cleared to show through like around a vent or something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i hate the look of CF, i always planned on having my CF Vented hood painted on my Rx8 but it was totaled and lead me to the MS6. this will be my fast as Fuck family car.

I love the idea of CF but hate that everyone has to ask, Hey is that CF? no i painted my regular hood to look like CF cuz i'm a Fucking idiot...and i had a ton of time on my hands.

CF is great but deserves to be painted and left as a "function" piece and not a "form" piece. I think it looks retarded unpainted, unless it's a small section that is left cleared to show through like around a vent or something.
I agree 100%. If I did the trunk, I'd have to come up with a creative way to paint it so only a little part of it was showing the carbon... and there's not really any good lines on the speed's trunk to allow for that... I would be curious, however, to know what the weight difference is between the OEM piece and the carbon one after paint and everything... RPM and SU don't seem to have a weight listed.

ps, I like the term "fast as fuck family car." FAFFC... lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
I plan on buying a "real sports car" soon. aka 93-95 RX7. probably in the next 2 years when the boat is done and after i buy a new truck as the one i have now is on it's way out. so the MS6 will be the "fast as fuck family car" because my gf already has the "slow as balls" family car. her 08 altima. we can take that to weddings and funerals and we'll take my car when we are late ha ha ha

I also plan on buying her an engagement Jeep as i don't believe in rings. and she wants to be able to get to work without trouble in the winter and i wont let my MS6 drive in the snow or salty roads, and i wont teach her to drive a stick. ( I didn't let my RX8 drive in the snow either, even though i had snow tires on separate wheels for it) i'm just really anal about shit like that.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
when the boat is done...
Get that boat done dude, I want to go fishing. I have the largest casting Penn (5500 or something, I forget it's been so damn long), two other 30lb deep sea rods w/ 50 lb fire line on them (needs new lines now), and my BIG BOY Shimano w/ an 80 lb rod that you can literally haul a 500 lb tuna in on if you know what you're doing. They've been in storage since I sold my boat in FL 5 years ago :(. I hung on to them because the kit ass and were expensive, and I just couldn't part with them. Not sure if you're a fisherman or more into pleasure boating... either way I like being on the water :).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Boat wont be ready till next season. sorry. it needs to have the motor pulled and after the flood 2 months ago, we lost about $15,000 in stuff ( including furniture) plus losing $$ in moving ang losing first last and security because my old landlord claimed hardship with the state and didn't have to pay us the $$$ he owed us because his insurance sucks. asshole owes me about $4,000.

FEMA helped but only covered the cost to replace a washer and dryer. i had just bought those new anyway so it was $$$ that was still fresh from the account. i think i got screwed the worst in the state.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts