Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my FX2 in the mail last week. I bought a used one and have to order some replacement suction cups for it. Since I have to place an order anyways, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to get the optional serial cable and softare as well. Does anybody have this cable and software yet? Is it worth getting? Is the cable a standard off-the-shelf cable? Are proprietary protocols used, and part of the software?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
yea, i posted a topic about this a few days ago... no responds....

i still have that same question.. (i was debating on if the FX2 is worth it with the additional almost 100 bucks with the downloading capabilities.....)

i never got that question answered... best of luck to ya! lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
The problem is that no one has used both. If the only difference is download and data logging, I would suggest you buy the FX1. I've had a GX2 (Canadian version of FX2) for about 3 years and haven't needed to download or data log my gforces. The extras in the FX2 are really meant for data logging around a race track (you can data log all gforces for 5 minutes) and downloading them to your computer to analyze how your times change with setup changes.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
After everything is said and done.. is the FX2 worth the extra $$$ for the downloading capabilities?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
THE ANSWER!:

To best do this i'll post SS's of the program and explain a little about each...

The captions for each images are ABOVE the screenshot (I know this isn't the norm, however larger images are harder to view on smaller screens so... I posted captions first). Also, pay attention to Run#1 and Run #2 as those were the two I actually did my best on. Run #3 is what happens when you launch from a stoplight.. sharp right turn onto onramp... and slam your breaks on for the slow SUV's that infest our freeways...

This is a shot of the main screen, shows run data, with real numbers on the left (that can be scrolled through) and a graph on the right which can be adjusted to display Distance, Velocity, and/or HP. If you take your car to the tracks and do several runs... This is an awsome way to compare them side by side... If you are trying to measure improvements based on mods... Just remember to write down the run numbers with what parts you were testing during those runs...

Speed Results page is simple, shows your 0-X times for all the runs in a nice sorted list...

Compare Two runs Speed page is AWSOME.... I love this view. Shows you ALL of the stats of each run on the left as well as several different graphs on the right. Really helps you see how your shifting... or performance mods are making an effect.

Compare Two Runs HP page is also very VERY nice. In the example i've given you can see two of my runs... and how Different they are. I actually tried on both of these to get the best time possible. So either my speed6 was getting the "lack of power" issue... or I messed up on my launch... been a long while but I don't remember...

The 1/4 Mile page is probably the bread and butter for people who love to drag. It gives all the numbers you see on a normal slip, and puts them in a nice list so you can easily compare them with other runs.

So basically... I love the software... I just recently got it and haven't had time to get many runs or tests in... However, for those who are serious about performance, and want to see numbers and graphs to compare... this is probably your best cheapest way to do it. Run the far 3x Stock... throw on your CAI.. run it 3x more... Then use the nifty "compare 2 runs" feature between 1-3 and 4-6... You'll easily be able to tell where the CAI is taking effect... be it good or bad...

NOW, remember, the FX2 (and FX1 probably)... have user customizable settings for vehicle data. I recently changed mine slightly.. as my vehicle isn't the "default" settings... I still need to get a few more numbers before I have extact settings... However these should and will make a large difference on the results this unit provides...

SO.. Be sure you set it up how you want... or leave it default for all your runs... as if you decide to change it like I have in the middle... your numbers will change (as far as HP and such go...) 1/4 times and the 0-X should stay the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
THE ANSWER!:

To best do this i'll post SS's of the program and explain a little about each...

The captions for each images are ABOVE the screenshot (I know this isn't the norm, however larger images are harder to view on smaller screens so... I posted captions first). Also, pay attention to Run#1 and Run #2 as those were the two I actually did my best on. Run #3 is what happens when you launch from a stoplight.. sharp right turn onto onramp... and slam your breaks on for the slow SUV's that infest our freeways...

This is a shot of the main screen, shows run data, with real numbers on the left (that can be scrolled through) and a graph on the right which can be adjusted to display Distance, Velocity, and/or HP. If you take your car to the tracks and do several runs... This is an awsome way to compare them side by side... If you are trying to measure improvements based on mods... Just remember to write down the run numbers with what parts you were testing during those runs...

Speed Results page is simple, shows your 0-X times for all the runs in a nice sorted list...

Compare Two runs Speed page is AWSOME.... I love this view. Shows you ALL of the stats of each run on the left as well as several different graphs on the right. Really helps you see how your shifting... or performance mods are making an effect.

Compare Two Runs HP page is also very VERY nice. In the example i've given you can see two of my runs... and how Different they are. I actually tried on both of these to get the best time possible. So either my speed6 was getting the "lack of power" issue... or I messed up on my launch... been a long while but I don't remember...

The 1/4 Mile page is probably the bread and butter for people who love to drag. It gives all the numbers you see on a normal slip, and puts them in a nice list so you can easily compare them with other runs.

So basically... I love the software... I just recently got it and haven't had time to get many runs or tests in... However, for those who are serious about performance, and want to see numbers and graphs to compare... this is probably your best cheapest way to do it. Run the far 3x Stock... throw on your CAI.. run it 3x more... Then use the nifty "compare 2 runs" feature between 1-3 and 4-6... You'll easily be able to tell where the CAI is taking effect... be it good or bad...

NOW, remember, the FX2 (and FX1 probably)... have user customizable settings for vehicle data. I recently changed mine slightly.. as my vehicle isn't the "default" settings... I still need to get a few more numbers before I have extact settings... However these should and will make a large difference on the results this unit provides...

SO.. Be sure you set it up how you want... or leave it default for all your runs... as if you decide to change it like I have in the middle... your numbers will change (as far as HP and such go...) 1/4 times and the 0-X should stay the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts