Mazda 6 Forums banner

Belt Tensioner and Crank Pulley replacement

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  tango 
#1 ·
I was working on getting my tensioner and pulley off last night and am uncertain if I've caused some potentially issues.

While trying to get the serp belt removed, I did not have the car in neutral and spun the crank a fraction of a turn before getting the belt off.

After removing the serp belt, in my attempts to break loose the crank pulley bolt, I have rotated the pulley multiple times, with the car in Park and Drive.

I still haven't got the bolt lose but am uncertain on if I needed to prevent the pulley from rotating at all and if I should be checking anything before getting it back together and turned over.

#2 ·
I still haven't got the bolt lose but am uncertain on if I needed to prevent the pulley from rotating at all and if I should be checking anything before getting it back together and turned over.
Dont understand...

#3 ·
After struggling with it for awhile, I pulled up CorkSports instructions on replacing the crank pulley as it's the same process. It mentions to have the car in gear or park with someone depressing the brake to prevent the engine from turning over.

If the waterpump belt was still on the pulley, and the car was in drive or park without someone on the brakes, and the pulley was rotated more than a few times, is it going to cause any issues with timing or something?

I may be concerned over nothing due to ignorance, but after I get that pulley off (picking up a stronger air compressor today to try that), and put the new tensioner and crank pulley on, could I have potentially caused some issues when I go to turn the car over for the first time?

#6 ·
The engine timing (which is the timing of the crank with the cams) is done with the timing chain, which you didn't mess with. The serpentine belt and the WP belt are just for driving the auxiliary devices (alternator, WP and AC). No matter you many times you spin the crank it won't hurt anything, as long as you haven't removed the timing chain.

The last time I had to take off a crank pulley, it was on a different car and I had to get creative because my impact wrench would not take it off. I was able to wedge my breaker bar against the suspension and bump the starter. Worked like a charm but it sure was janky!!!

#7 ·
Yup auxiliary drive belts are not timed to anything , crank pulley should be a keyed pulley so it only goes one way on. Timing is as said, kept by the internal timing chain.

Corksport instructions is only meant to help you break the crank pulley bolt loose, otherwise you're just turning the engine over together not loosening the bolt

#12 ·
Thankfully I got the bolt off, happened to have the engine oil seal in my parts bin so replaced that along with belt tensioner, both belts, and got the lightweight crank pulley on. Have about 120 miles on it now and it is driving great. Only thing I am not super confident on was the new crank pulley lock bolt going on. With the lightweight crank not having any gaps to fit the pulley wrench on to hold it still and torque it down, I hit it with the impact a few times and that's the extent of the torqueing down I got done.

I also couldn't get a torque wrench to the tensioner lower bolt or upper nut, so those are tightened to my best approximation using a crescent wrench. Knowing ahead of time, I would have gotten an extra long 12mm crescent wrench beforehand to make the tensioner replacement go a bit smoother.

I have the CorkSport rear mount and was having insane vibration at idle with the AC on, and now it's wayyyyyy more tame and a lot more comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.