Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, the official Mazda 6 electronics FAQ.

Notice: As of 11/03, a dash kit is NOT in the works, as reported by various members when speaking to Metras. We'll keep you updated when we find something.

Speaker sizes for the BOSE system:
Tweeters - 1.5"
Midrange - 6.5"
Rear Midrange - 6.5"
Subwoofer - 9"

An MP3 player (single disc) IS available from Mazda.

It IS possible to add on a system without removing the stock CD player, either by using a Line Out Converter (LOC) or an amp with Hige Level Inputs, by tapping into the speaker wires. An amp with high level inputs gets a signal from the speaker wire. An LOC converts the speaker wire to an RCA jack, letting any amp get the signal through it's RCA (low level) inputs.

The 6s Alternator is 120 amps

The 6i Alternator is 90 amps

These alternators CAN handle a significant amount of wattage, at least 1000w, without noticible dimming. (assuming wiring is correct and battery/wiring is in good condition)

Anyone have anything to add?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Before you post: In Car Electronics FAQ

The 6i alternator is 90 amps.

The base stereo has two 1 inch tweeters and four 6"x8" midbass speakers.

The rear amplifier is way underpowered, but requires a nice line-out converter anyway to attenuate the "popping" you'd otherwise hear as the CD tracks to the next song. You're best splitting the front's signal twice.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

You pretty much covered it, only wanted to add that on the 6s from personal experience..after about 1500W there is pretty significant dimming even with a 1.0F stiffening cap inline with the power.

Also...anyone that does choose to take the Factory dash out for any reason..don't forget about the 'secret' screw that can only be accessed by removing the glove box.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm hereby closing this post. If anyone would like to add anything relevant, PM me, and I'll add it on.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Befor

Info provided by Pete6sAT and slightly modified by myself.

This is for US Mazda 6's.

Standard Audio System:
1. Stock Head Unit - This is the radio tuner and volume control, etc.
2. Single CD OR 6 Disc Changer OR MP3 player. This is mounted on top of the Head Unit and is connected as an input to the head unit.
3. Tape Deck OR MD Player. This mounts under the head unit and is an input to the head unit.
4. Speakers. 6 total and they attach to the head unit.
5. Steering Wheel Controls. They plug into the head unit.

Bose Audio:
1. Bose Head Unit - Different part number. Same as above but it has outputs for the amplifier.
2. 6 Disc Changer OR MP3 player.
3. Tape Deck OR MD Player. Identical to above.
4. Speakers. 7 total, Bose
5. Steering Wheel Controls. Identical to above.
6. Amp. Bose. Drives all speakers.

Also, the connection between the head unit and the CD player or Tape Deck,MD is a proprietary bus scheme.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Hmmm I'm just going over this information and I realize something should be cleared up:

The door speakers are not 6.5" or 6x8", they are 5x7's. Those other sizes will fit for conversions, but the stock speakers are 5x7's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.