Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the new tollway in Austin, been thinking there is a good way for us (or anyone with the balls) to test out the MS6 top speed.

The theory:

SH45 northbound from Parmer late night

Someone plays goose; i.e. checks the only onramp after wellsbranch parkway(the last onramp before a 4 mile straight), if the word is yes, a car nails it from that point (starting at like 80) and tops out.

Question, who'd like to help?

I've hit 130, but pussed out beyond that for fear of arrest.

Anyone game?

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, with the new tollway in Austin, been thinking there is a good way for us (or anyone with the balls) to test out the MS6 top speed.

The theory:

SH45 northbound from Parmer late night

Someone plays goose; i.e. checks the only onramp after wellsbranch parkway(the last onramp before a 4 mile straight), if the word is yes, a car nails it from that point (starting at like 80) and tops out.

Question, who'd like to help?

I've hit 130, but pussed out beyond that for fear of arrest.

Anyone game?[/b]
I am a bit south of you (in Kyle) but sounds like fun.. Isnt the speed6 governed at 149?

I will be the goose, but you are still the one that gets cooked if caught ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a bit south of you (in Kyle) but sounds like fun.. Isnt the speed6 governed at 149?

I will be the goose, but you are still the one that gets cooked if caught ;)[/b]
Fair enough :) I want to see what I can get to. You're right about the 150 limit, but I've never driven 150, so it'd be worth it! Driven with someone (Z06 vette) at 160, but riding and driving are totally different.

PM me and we'll pick a time :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fair enough :) I want to see what I can get to. You're right about the 150 limit, but I've never driven 150, so it'd be worth it! Driven with someone (Z06 vette) at 160, but riding and driving are totally different.

PM me and we'll pick a time :)[/b]
Heh, ok.. I am out of town for two weeks (return on the 4th of feb) We will have to do it after that..

·
Registered
788 Posts
I did 165 in my cobra and that was pretty scary, the rear end was all over the place, so I had to slow down...gotta say though, it was really fun :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cool, let me know, though my buddy with the M3 may have already taken the role of "goose" :)[/b]

Ok.. Also, along the "been thinking" line.. in a month or two (read spring time) interested in a Central Texas rally? Nothing too formal, just a get together to shoot the bull, check out each others rides etc? I figure between Georgetown and San Antonio we could get a handful of atendees..

Or is that just too gay?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.. Also, along the "been thinking" line.. in a month or two (read spring time) interested in a Central Texas rally? Nothing too formal, just a get together to shoot the bull, check out each others rides etc? I figure between Georgetown and San Antonio we could get a handful of atendees..

Or is that just too gay?[/b]
Count me in! I love my car and will be happy to show it off :)

I did 165 in my cobra and that was pretty scary, the rear end was all over the place, so I had to slow down...gotta say though, it was really fun :)[/b]
That's fast! 160 in the z06 I could feel it lifting :)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
you know what 4wd don't think.....The more you post, the more Crazy shit I see. You are needlessly pushing this car....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you know what 4wd don't think.....The more you post, the more Crazy shit I see. You are needlessly pushing this car....[/b]
Jdragon (is that some sort o D&D reference?), I love my car and I do push it, but I don't abuse it. To me, you guys that ATX your MS6's do more damage than I ever do at the track at 120. Granted, I'll burn through tires, brakes and clutches, but I won't blow up tranny's and rear end's like you guys seem to do on a weekly basis!

Cheers

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've hit 130, but pussed out beyond that for fear of arrest.[/b]
I don't know how it is in your state, but in mine, your already at the arrest stage.......

and even though you don't break trannies and rear ends like we do, we're not going to end up as a grease stain on a guard rail either....

it doesn't take much at 130+ to make your self code f in 2.3 sec.......

but if your going to do it anyways make sure that your tires can handle the speed, your brakes are up to par, etc

·
Registered
196 Posts
i did 140 aftermoon, and i don't think that in our car u will need more than 2miles max with 1mile to decel it is doable very easy on a staight. And like awdterror said make sure you tires and brakes are up to par. goob luck

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I hit 120 coming off a ramp interchange without even realizing it. This car is so solid. IBTL!!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Jdragon (is that some sort o D&D reference?), I love my car and I do push it, but I don't abuse it. To me, you guys that ATX your MS6's do more damage than I ever do at the track at 120. Granted, I'll burn through tires, brakes and clutches, but I won't blow up tranny's and rear end's like you guys seem to do on a weekly basis!

Cheers[/b]
You won't hurt the car one bit. It's the same car in Germany and the warranty holds if you commute every day at 150. The CAR can handle it just fine.... it's being sure there's no one else on the road (I know you've considered that... I'm reminding anyone else who's reading) and the jail time you gotta worry about. Real shame we don't have the autobahn system here.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I'm afraid for his life, that's all.....don't wanna see a fellow mazda man lose his life , because curiousity licked his cat.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You won't hurt the car one bit. It's the same car in Germany and the warranty holds if you commute every day at 150. The CAR can handle it just fine.... it's being sure there's no one else on the road (I know you've considered that... I'm reminding anyone else who's reading) and the jail time you gotta worry about. Real shame we don't have the autobahn system here.[/b]
Woah...Montana now has a speed limit? :70:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fuel cutoff came in like a brick wall at a hair past 150. Don't ask. I'll just plead the 5th. Though, there was an unknown driver of a WWP MS6 GT w/ Cali plates very near me at the time. You might want to ask him ;) .

·
Registered
17 Posts
You won't hurt the car one bit. It's the same car in Germany and the warranty holds if you commute every day at 150. The CAR can handle it just fine.... it's being sure there's no one else on the road (I know you've considered that... I'm reminding anyone else who's reading) and the jail time you gotta worry about. Real shame we don't have the autobahn system here.[/b]
I lived in Montana when they dropped the federal speed limit and had a Porsche 944 as my daily driver. I drove at more than 100 mph daily if the conditions were ok and it must have been a little like the autobahn. I usually kept it under 105 and figured I could talk my way out of a ticket at that speed because of the vehicle I was driving. There was actually a speed limit during daylight hours that was called "safe and prudent," which left it totally up to the officer. I went past highway patrolmen doing 90 with no problem, but if conditions were bad, such as snow or lots of traffic, they might pull you over and ticket you at 70. I also figured that if they pulled over some high school kids in a car with three different brands of tires, crappy condition, etc., they would nail them. No safety inspections in Montana. It was actually better to drive there with the federal speed limit in place. When they imposed the speed limit the Montana legislature protested by making all speeding tickets (I think under 100 mph) a $5 fine and it wouldn't go on your driver's license. We just kept five-dollar bills in the glove box.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.