Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I might be taking on a job that would require I take long trips to different companies a few times a month (over 200 mile trips sometimes) so if I do take it I want to consider buying a beater car in the 6000-7000 range that gets great gas milage and to drive around in bad weather as to not harm my wonderful MS6.

I will still drive my MS6 daily commute to the office (not far) as well as be my driving around town car, but the beater will be for the long trips and especially crappy days.

That being said here is my list by order of importance maybe you guys can make some suggestions/recomendations:

1. Gas Milage
2. Manual (I can't go back to auto :p)
3. FWD or AWD (sorry RWD is out...no good for snow)
4. trunk space (I will be hauling equipment and need some place to put it)
5. fun to drive (Power/handling...I know gas milage is my primary but some fun would be good as well)
6. Looks (I hate the look of hatchbacks so I will avoid if possible)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I loved my Maxima that I had before my 6S. I used to get 28 MPG on the highway in my 99 Maxima SE 5 speed and it would easily meet your criteria if you can live with the gas mileage. I sold the Max with 135K miles on it and it never let me down once and was quick & quiet.

so I might be taking on a job that would require I take long trips to different companies a few times a month (over 200 mile trips sometimes) so if I do take it I want to consider buying a beater car in the 6000-7000 range that gets great gas milage and to drive around in bad weather as to not harm my wonderful MS6.

I will still drive my MS6 daily commute to the office (not far) as well as be my driving around town car, but the beater will be for the long trips and especially crappy days.

That being said here is my list by order of importance maybe you guys can make some suggestions/recomendations:

1. Gas Milage
2. Manual (I can't go back to auto :p)
3. FWD or AWD (sorry RWD is out...no good for snow)
4. trunk space (I will be hauling equipment and need some place to put it)
5. fun to drive (Power/handling...I know gas milage is my primary but some fun would be good as well)
6. Looks (I hate the look of hatchbacks so I will avoid if possible)
[/b]

·
Registered
990 Posts
Is there something wrong with your Cherokee? Why buy another beater if you pretty much already have one (compared to the MS6)?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there something wrong with your Cherokee? Why buy another beater if you pretty much already have one (compared to the MS6)?
[/b]
cherokee + good gas milage do not go together :p

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much any model Subaru would do quite well for you! (CT + AWD = good combo) :yesnod:
[/b]
finding a decent one for near 6K is damn near impossible though

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this out: Trader Online
I just plugged in your info and a buttload of good Subies popped up for under $6K!!! :D
[/b]
hmm never saw that site before...sweet

·
Registered
990 Posts
cherokee + good gas milage do not go together :p
[/b]
true...but $6K plus the cost of insurance, gas & maintenance that you'd put into the beater would buy a crapload of gas for the Cherokee.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Also look in the Want AD way better than Trader. www.thewantad.com They have 2 magazines with TONS of deals and they are sold in your area at most convienience stores.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The Mazdaspeed is such a comfortable, capable grand touring vehicle... why even bother with a beater? You'll never save enough in gas money to cover a second vehicle, insurance, etc.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Mazdaspeed is such a comfortable, capable grand touring vehicle... why even bother with a beater? You'll never save enough in gas money to cover a second vehicle, insurance, etc.
[/b]
by trying to avoid a bajillion miles on the car and the abuse of hauling equipment and taking it to unsavory locations for vehicles such as papermills, power plants, steel mills, factories, etc I would much rather drive a beater...I already have the jeep, basically looking for a more fuel effecient replacement.

I've seen what working this job had done to my good friend's Legacy GT...not what I want for the speed

EDIT:
I havent decided on the job yet...this is just window shopping fun for now on this beater.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dodge neon sxt. good in snow, huge on the inside, plenty of trunk space with fold down seats, not real quik but pretty peppy in a stick. and the best thing of all for winter? An AWSOME heater in every neon I've ever been in.. I wish I could find another car with a heating system half as good. about 30-31 mpg on the highway with an auto(what i drive now)

·
Registered
758 Posts
dodge neon sxt. good in snow, huge on the inside, plenty of trunk space with fold down seats, not real quik but pretty peppy in a stick. and the best thing of all for winter? An AWSOME heater in every neon I've ever been in.. I wish I could find another car with a heating system half as good. about 30-31 mpg on the highway with an auto(what i drive now) [/b]
The only problem I see with this suggestion is the fact that you suggested A FREAKING NEON.

Here's what you do:

1) Find some rope.
2) Go out back and climb up a tall tree with some good, sturdy limbs.
3) I think you see where I'm going with this.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Look at craigslist.org
Great place to buy/sell used cars, and it is free!
I found my 6 there :)

L

·
0 Posts
This is funny, I'm looking for the EXACT same thing which is why I joined the forum. Seeing if a Mazda6 would be good for DD/winter car. I'd like a MS6 beater but it's a little too pricy ... :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Subarus are really good in the snow, a friend of mine has one and it's great. Maybe an Impreza would work for you. Also check out the site www.getauto.com they have alot of stuff on there. Craig's list is a good bet as well. And what about EBay?

Are you doing to dump the Cherokee if you get this other beater? Having both seems like a waste of money if so..

Another suggestion is maybe a Suzuki Aerio. They came out in 2004 I think with the option of AWD, if you can find one. They seem pretty reliable, but resale value isn't good. That should be fine for your needs though, and they come in a sedan or hatchback. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts