Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading about the oil level engine issues on this site and I'm not the biggest motor geek in the world. If I have spun a bearing rod, what sign/noise/whatever would give me a clue. Dealer just checked the oil problem and says it is rings which I don't buy. Didn't say anything else other than maybe some lifter noise. Basically said check oil and add when needed or worse case could give me a new motor for 4K.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Could you elaborate on your problem a bit more? Rod knock is usually the sound associated with bearing damage.

He's a nifty url I just found that might help explain some mechanical noises
http://www.autohausaz.com/html/car_noises.html

Off of a ford truck forum, here's one members explanation of identifying rod knock.

The best way to tell if you have a rod knock is to get a long screwdriver or something like that, and put it up against the engine block when it's running, and put your ear on the other end. You will be able to tell right away if you have a rod knocking.
A rod knock sounds like the tick-tock of a clock. It will happen at all RPM's and get louder at higher speeds.[/b]
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/archive/...262-Rod%20Knock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you elaborate on your problem a bit more? Rod knock is usually the sound associated with bearing damage.

He's a nifty url I just found that might help explain some mechanical noises
http://www.autohausaz.com/html/car_noises.html

Off of a ford truck forum, here's one members explanation of identifying rod knock.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/archive/...262-Rod%20Knock
[/b]
I don't think that's what I have. I here a rattle that is a bit rhythmic that is more pronounced when the engine is cold/accelerating, but much less pronounced when the engine is warm/ at highway speed.

dealer first said might be valves or lifter and didn't seem concerned (other than willing to sell a new engine)

See my other post below this one for my problems. Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

C

·
0 Posts
Is it an erratic tick? Kinda of similar to morse code? Something like this?
http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/incoming/Mazda/ticktick.wav

Listen for the sound underneath the standard tick tick of the engine. Sounds like morse code.

Also remember this TSB
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=2310
[/b]
Has anyone here done this? With success?

Currently our 2003 Mazda 6 has spent over a week in the dealership. They say it's rod knock and we need to have a new engine installed at 64K. They say there is no rebuild kit, so they can't offer that.

I'm not up to spending $5500 in parts and labor if I don't need to, so I'm wondering if this might be something we can do, or have the dealership do. The sound in the wave is exactly the same sound our 6 is making, though it is intermittent and doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern. Sometimes during idle, sometimes between 2000 - 3000 rmps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone here done this? With success?

Currently our 2003 Mazda 6 has spent over a week in the dealership. They say it's rod knock and we need to have a new engine installed at 64K. They say there is no rebuild kit, so they can't offer that.

I'm not up to spending $5500 in parts and labor if I don't need to, so I'm wondering if this might be something we can do, or have the dealership do. The sound in the wave is exactly the same sound our 6 is making, though it is intermittent and doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern. Sometimes during idle, sometimes between 2000 - 3000 rmps.
[/b]
Welcome to the club. Got a 2nd opinion from a mechanic I know and trust and confirmed rings going, etc. Getting a new engine now at 109K. Only good thing is its $1,700 less than the dealer.

C

·
0 Posts
crowgirl,

Is the car still drivable? Have you considered taking it to another dealership in the area for a second opinion? (Or even a reputable mechanic?).
[/b]
It's still driveable. The knocking doesn't seem to affect the performance, though I don't know if it's just a matter of time and if so, how long we have before it gives up the ghost. We're supposed to be picking it up today without the repairs. I've been trying to look into possiblly purchasing an engine on my own and seeing what can be done with that, though I'm having hard luck finding any suppliers.

A second opinion isn't a bad suggestion. We are debating if that is a route we should go. We're checking currently to see if Mazda might be willing to cover this, due to the massive amount of issues we've had with the car. (12 hours after bought new off lot with under 100 miles, computer needed to be replaced. 6 months later and 6k miles later, that computer needed to be replaced too. 14K miles, clutch needed replacing. Now the engine. We're basically waiting for the transmission to go next. :p)

I was just wondering if anyone had determined that the above sound was fixed by the link to the TSB. We sent both links to the service manager to see if maybe he didnt' try that. We're still waiting for a response. We've had excellent service from the dealership in the past, so I don't think they are being irreputable. We're having more issues with the extended warranty company who doesn't want to guarantee they will cover the work until they are allowed to tear the engine apart to the point of fault at our expense to see if they will cover a replacement. Seeing as how (as far as we know) there is no re-build kit, if we allow it, not only would we be out the money for the tear-down, but the money for a new engine as well, and I'm not really willing to go there. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
crowgirl
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing