Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I sorta flooded my car's engine when I encountered a flash flood in Northern NJ... Driving and all of a sudden, water to just under the door's level. CEL came on and then the car slowly died. I didn't get towed till 5 hours later (dont ask ... just dont ask :swearin: )
Service Manager took off my intake pipe and said that the first rubber joint was wet on the inside, but won't know anything/how bad it really is till monday when the techs are in.

Just a couple of words to the wise, if you even think about the water getting sucked in DONT GO IN THE WATER W/ A CAI :nono: :slap: (you might be able to get away with "deeper" water by going extra slow, if confronted with a rather large "lake" on a highway dont attempt it, and finally DO NOT TRY AND START THE CAR IF IT JUST DIED IN WATER :nono: :slap:

(I know what the next post will read "what CAI do you have" so I'll say it here in the first post, I'm not saying which CAI because it has nothing to do with the company, merely the relocation of the thing... any other questions)

How was you friday afternoon, that started out with the sole purpose of picking up your paycheck? :irate:

I hate myself for even considering proceeding in the water :slap:

just ranting

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
sorry to hear this, buddy. my friend had the same thing happen to his gsr and he ended up having a bent piston rod. he replaced the engine rather than disassembling and reassembling the head. hopefully the damage in your ms6 isn't as severe. good luck.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. I feel bad and all but WTF?

Do you have any other tips like 'When your tire is flat don't keep driving'?

Please tell me you are kidding, you DIDN'T start the car after you drove it INTO a flood and sucked in all kinds of water.

:zzz:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. I feel bad and all but WTF?

Do you have any other tips like 'When your tire is flat don't keep driving'?
Please tell me you are kidding, you DIDN'T start the car after you drove it INTO a flood and sucked in all kinds of water.
:zzz:
[/b]

what exactly do you do when something like that happens on accident? (i'm curious cuz i have no idea w/ a cai)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welll I do feel bad for you but common sense says (that and watching the weather helps) that you should not drive through water, esp if you don't know how deep it is. I know the weathermen have ll been saying for days now there were onna be flash floods even up here they are talking bout NJ and NY having flooding issues... So While I feel bad for you, I feel worse that you were not using common sense. I hope all turns out good for you tho it sucks to be without th car and hope you egt it back soon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
so for those of us who haven't used a cai before (and rarely see rain... socal, go fig)... what can you do to unflood your engine?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well by the time I got to the intersection where i prolly needed a boat, it was too late to reverse and go around. Other cars were proceeding but the CAI was just too low. And no I was not sitting in the freakin puddle while trying to start the car, I was on a dry parking lot. And I had no idea about the water's depth because the road was slanted.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
so for those of us who haven't used a cai before (and rarely see rain... socal, go fig)... what can you do to unflood your engine?
[/b]

Depends on how much water you suck up. If the motor dies quickly usually your out of luck and it's time for some new rods(and/or a new block), but sometimes you can pull the sparkplugs and suction the water out the plug holes and it'll start right back up.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
don't trash the guy...shit like this happens, i've had myself in positions like that...where it's raining, but you NEVER expect to have your car almost swept away by water...that sucks man...i say swap the engine

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Don't forget that if you are at a level that will flood the CAI, you are most likely at a level that will flood the regular stock intake too.

THe better message here is: Your car is a car, not a boat

·
Registered
335 Posts
What dealer is your car at?

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have a 6s and 2 weeks ago my wife drove through deep water and sucked up water, and YES she tried to start it again. I have a cai and customizer. the dealership initially told me the engine would need to be replaced, but the insurance appraiser came out and siad it was fixable. All they did was change the oil, sparkplugs, and clean out a few things and everything worked fine. hopefully the same will be said for you. Even if you didnt have modifications this sort of damage wouldnt be covered by warranty, because it is consider a natural disaster(hurricanes, tornados, flooding, etc.) If they give you really bad news and you have to call insurance, it would probobly be a good idea to return the car to stock if it is possible for you.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget that if you are at a level that will flood the CAI, you are most likely at a level that will flood the regular stock intake too.

THe better message here is: Your car is a car, not a boat
[/b]
I dont think this is true, cuz the inlet for the stock airbox is up much higher and there's that tuba thing, the CAI is down in the wheel well, like where the resonator is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear abt the incident. The rule of thumb for mod - "You Gain some, You Lose some". In this case, it's could be the worst case scenario.

As for the tuba thing, i have already put it back for the Air Box Mod since there is not much difference in sound and performance increase. Mind you i will be getting a reflash done soon, so i can get a better feel if there is any difference in boost

I dont think this is true, cuz the inlet for the stock airbox is up much higher and there's that tuba thing, the CAI is down in the wheel well, like where the resonator is.
[/b]

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Standing water can also indicate an occuring flash flood. People DIE trying to drive through standing water. The car stalls, and they get trapped in a sudden flood, and drown.

Never EVER drive through standing water if its across the road. Who the hell cares about the car, you're risking your life!

Just turn around, and find another way to your destination. It's not worth it!!

From a car standpiont, if it stalls, don't start it again. As long as you don't start it again, there is a change you can pull the plugs and cycle the engine to expel the water in the cylinders, then start it up again without any adverse effects. (As long as there wasn't enough water to cause the rods to bend).

·
Registered
493 Posts
what exactly do you do when something like that happens on accident? (i'm curious cuz i have no idea w/ a cai)
[/b]
The best thing to do is turn the car off as soon as you suspect the water is too deep. Yeah, it sucks to be stopped in the middle of a pond, but it's better than breaking a rod.

Then, climb out the window and push.

·
Registered
922 Posts
that sucks man sorry to hear about your issues...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
31 Participants
Raynman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing