Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely having the same problem with my 2014 Mazda 6. However, it is extremely intermittent for me. It has happened a total of 3 time over the past year with at least a month or two between incidents. My only solution is to drive it around a bit and try to turn it off again.

Sounds like a kind of crazy work around that jl4strng posted above. Hopefully there is some permanent solution out there. If anyone has finally figured out how to fix the problem please let me know. Thanks!

Apparently I never got to the second page of this thread! After reading the second page, I will now try and replace the parking switch... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Everyone who has this, complain to Mazda. That's the best way to get a TSB out there.

I was digging around the net and it seems like some CX-5's have this issue as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mog108 and tickerguy,

You both said you fixed the "Battery stays on after I turn ignition off!" problem by having the dealer replace the parking switch. However, I've talked to my local dealer a couple of times and they don't have a clue as to which switch you are talking about.

Please give me the names of your Mazda dealers so I can call and talk to them and then pass on the info to my local guys.

Also, if you still have your invoices for the repair, please post the part number that was replaced.

Thanks!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
@mog108 and @tickerguy

Hi Mog108 and tickerguy,

You both said you fixed the "Battery stays on after I turn ignition off!" problem by having the dealer replace the parking switch. However, I've talked to my local dealer a couple of times and they don't have a clue as to which switch you are talking about.

Please give me the names of your Mazda dealers so I can call and talk to them and then pass on the info to my local guys.

Also, if you still have your invoices for the repair, please post the part number that was replaced.

Thanks!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Thanks for posting the part number.

Quick google found the switch itself appears to be about $50
https://www.buymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-switch-kdy046040

Also found Mazda Service Bulletin No. 05-004/16
Ignition Does Not Turn Off When Pressing Start/Stop Button

Includes following note:
DESCRIPTION
When pressing the START/STOP button, the ignition ma y not turn off on some vehicles equipped with a gate- type AT shifter. Although the shift lever is in “P” posit ion and the engine shuts off normally, the ignition may stay on (in accessory mode).

This concern may be caused by a worn switch unit. To eliminate this concern, the switch unit material has been changed to improve wear resistance. Modified switch units have been established as new service parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys my car is doing this as well and I am going to the dealership tomorrow to see if they have the switch in stock (KDY0-46-040), if not I will order it online. I was just curious if y'all were getting the message, "Shift into P" when in P as well. I am pretty sure it is this switch, but I wanted to make sure before I rip my shifter panel apart to get to the switch. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys,
This exact issue just happened on my 2009 Mazda 6 GH.
Battery reset did not help. The radio will only switch off when I manually turn it off.
Its exactly like the TSB describes.. But it's 2009 model.
Just wondering if this same switch will work for my transmission?
Also, could someone describe the door reset method, if it's even worth trying?
Any help appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like I have the same/similar symptoms. Went out to the car today to turn on the AC and cool off. After about ten minutes I hit the button to turn the car off, I was in park. Everything turned off except for the radio and the message on dash was "Put car in park" or something to that effect. I tried getting out but the doors wouldn't even lock. Ok, tried again, same thing. Drove around for about 20 seconds, put the car in park again, hit button, same deal. Finally slammed through all of the gears in a spot and really pushed it into park and the entire car turns off. This is frustrating as hell. Is it the parking sensor?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Certainly sounds like a worn out park sensor switch.

We really need somebody to make a DIY on this- I'm surprised at how common this issue has become.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Has anyone changed this themselves? My wife's CX-5 has the same problem and the dealer just told me $360 to fix it for a new shifter. Yeah...I we have bought 24 cars from them over 2 decades! I can fix it if it's just as simple as replacing it...as long as no programming is involved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced this same issue with my 2014 6 touring. This is definitely a symptom of a failing AT shifter switch (KDY0-46-040). Original switches didn't hold up and newer models of KDY0-46-040 are an improved version. I started experiencing this issue with my vehicle earlier this year. When the ignition wouldn't turn completely off, I found that moving the shift knob right to left a few times while leaving in part would usually clear the issue. I had my Mazda dealer look at it and it was confirmed it was the switch issue. I am out of warranty (60K) and they quoted about $200 to fix. I declined the repair and reached out to Mazda USA through their website as I felt this is something that shouldn't fail ever, much less as 60K. I own 2 other Mazdas ('07 CX7 and '08 3) and made sure to point this out in my request. I was respectful and not demanding and was pleased when Mazda responded that they would cover the cost of the repair. Just had it fixed yesterday and everything is back to normal. I would encourage those of you with this issue to reach out nicely to Mazda and you may be able to get it covered.

The service person told me it was a very common issue but that Mazda had not issued a recall for it. I looked into it further and the part can be bought online for $50-60 and considered replacing it myself. Before I did that though, I went ahead and contacted Mazda USA through their website to see if they would cover it. This is a part that should never fail, and definitely not as soon as 60,000 miles, 3 years. I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to pay for the part and installation completely. The part is currently on backorder but hopefully in a few weeks, I will have a new AT shifter switch and no more issues. I can't guarantee they will do this for everyone but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Update 8/20/17 - Mazda of Fredericksburg replaced my switch yesterday and everything is now back to normal. Don't hesitate to reach out to Mazda USA if you are having this issue and hopefully they will take care of it for you too. BH

Update 8/10/18 - looking at post and saw some spelling issues so hopefully they are corrected now. New switch still working like it should. BH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone - I was having the same issue and was able to replace part KDY0-46-040 myself on my 2014 Mazda 6 touring auto. It was a bit more complicated than expected but only took about an hour end to end. Here are the steps involved with links to a mazda repair manual for each step that I found online:

1. Disconnect Battery

2. Remove Center Console Cup Holder Assembly w/ commander knob - https://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~stephen/2014wsm/workshop manual/n6w09/html/id091700898300.html

4. Remove Shifter Panel
https://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~stephen/2014wsm/workshop manual/n6w09/html/id091700898400.html

5. Remove Rear Console
https://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~stephen/2014wsm/workshop manual/n6w09/html/id091700898500.html

6. Remove Front Side Walls (Right and Left Parts) - next to gas pedal for reference
https://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~stephen/2014wsm/workshop manual/n6w09/html/id091700805400.html

7. Remove Front Center Console Housing to gain access to the shifter assembly.
https://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~stephen/2014wsm/workshop manual/n6w09/html/id091700457400.html

8. Remove and Replace part KDY0-46-040 - directions for this can be found here: (be careful with the spring loaded plastic piece!!! The spring came off on me and took a while to figure out how to get it back together. Do not remove this piece if possible.
https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/ignition-does-not-turn-off-when-pressing-startstop-button-2013-2014-mazda

9. re-assemble and save a few hundred bucks - I got the part on ebay for $62.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should just mention that I had this problem for a bit (2014 Mazda6 Sport). The problem started out by not shutting off the ACC as everyone else here pointed out, but my problem ended up being the shifter track (the piece of plastic underneath the cover that guides the shifter stick). The thin plastic started twisting in place and made it almost impossible for it to hit the park sensor with the shifter all the way to the left in park, nor move the shifter stick very well.
Luckily for me, I had bought my vehicle in January with a Certified used warranty, but the tech at my dealership told me the plastic shifter track was on "eternal backorder," so they removed the shifter track, called me back in a few weeks, and they had ordered me a whole new shifter to drop in. It was cool they footed the bill for it under warranty.
Hope this might bring a new angle to this problem for some people. It was driving me crazy for the longest time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've experienced this a number of times also. Can someone check something for me? If you walk away from your car with it still "on" is it possible to start the engine without the key fob? My car was stolen last night!

·
Registered
58 Posts
...When the ignition wouldn't turn completely off, I found that moving the shift knob right to left a few times while leaving in part would usually clear the issue. I had my Mazda dealer look at it and it was confirmed it was the switch issue.
I have the exact same symptom but when I took it to the dealership they said I needed the whole shift gate assembly replaced and quote $800!! :eek::angry: Found this link that walks through the process. Is the dealership making this more complicated than it needs to be? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance.

FYI here's a write-up on replacing the switch:
https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/ignition-does-not-turn-off-when-pressing-startstop-button-2013-2014-mazda/2

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just two days after reading this, my wife reported the exact same problem on our 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring. I have ordered the part but will be out of town for a couple of weeks. I'll update after I install.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What I don't understand is why a car (2014) that has this problem in (2015 & 2016) was not going back to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. The original posts are from 2015 so the car should be under warranty?

I understand if a 2014 has the issue now.... I'd still hit Mazda up for some help and show them the Mazda Service Bulletin No. 05-004/16

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really appreciate this thread. I've got an old 2014 Mazda 6, and have had the issue a few times. Now, I have a part number, and a description of the fix. My dealer pissed me off a while back, but there's enough here that a car long out of warranty should be fixable by any good garage for cheap, or I'll DIY it.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts