Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, So I am approaching a month of ownership now, and am very happy, except when its cold out....Having never really experienced a speed 6's gripes, how to they usually start when its cold?? Mine seems to be having problems when it gets close to or below freezing, it will turn then engine over, then the battery just runs out of puff, needles jump up and back down, I wait ten seconds or so then try again, and usually it starts...just....sometimes needs a third go.

I know the manual says it doesn't like cold, but this seems a little extreme, so I was wondering about getting a replacement battery that will give me a nice positive start even in the chilliest of conditions. The car is parked outside, on a reasonably high elevation, geographically speaking. No option for a garage, maybe a car cover?? dunno

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent replacement battery? Also is my experience normal for these cars, or is it just a crap battery? I have purchased one of those power station jump starters for the time being, with that it starts first time, just a bit of a mess around every morning, and probably on leaving work if today is anything to go by....

Cheers guys

Trip

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Most here have use an Optima battery. I have used a Braille lightweight at 21 lbs but have moved to a bigger Stinger SPV-44 audio battery at about 35lbs. My lighter battery started not liking the cold. I think Amp still uses a Braille battery and going strong. These are all sealed batteries.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought my car in Oct. I put in a fresh batt and I have never had any issues with starting. Fires up immediately every time. Coldest it has been here so far is -10F (garaged at night) or 0F sitting outside all day at work. BTW I put in a cheap-ass O'Reilly battery. 482 pounds and guaranteed to last for 13 months! haha...we'll see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Optima do you guys favor? Yellow tops or Red tops, I have used Yellow tops a few times before in audio setups, never tried the red though

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an Optima redtop and it's been great in the cold weather. My car starts right up even after a cold night outside (I've had it out several nights where it was 15F-25F).

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
copy / pasted from the last time this was asked without searching first:
=============================

Ahhhh yes, the faithful "time for a new battery" thread.....
We've had a few, here is a link to one of the longer, better threads discussing various options available - clicky-clicky

Here is my post from that thread, & a pic I never got around to posting over there...
================================================

OEM battery lasted just over 40K.

I've been working from home for the last few months, so the car has been sitting for anywhere from 5 to 10 days at a time without moving, which has always been a known battery killer for us. But it was the cold weather that finally did it in, and the next few nights will be the coldest of the year so far.

I knew I wanted an Optima, so after reading everything here, I went shopping.

I went a bit off from normal tho- Purchased a 34R Red out the door at $165

-Width & height are the same as the 35, but it's 10" long instead of 9", so fits the tray better front to back.
- - After adding the base it only needed a very slight adjustment of the hold down bracket to be nicely secure.

-It's a "R", meaning the terminals are reversed.
- - Means that when it's in the car, it has the same terminal orientation as the OEM battery.
- - - Terminals are towards the passenger side, positive towards the front. OEM cables match perfectly.

-The 34 i picked out is stronger than the 35
- - 35 is (CCA @ 0° F = 720 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 910 )
- - 34 is (CCA @ 0° F = 800 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 1000 )

Car is much much much happier.......

And, the obligatory pic....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts