Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was just excited so i figured id put this up. :D

I made a bass knob from a potentiometer from Radio shack. Basically it controls how much output goes into the sub amp. It works pretty well and now i can control the bass from the front without messing with all the other speaker settings (from the radio bass settings). It was pretty simple... stole the bass outline at the bose sub, wired it to the front and put in the potentiometer and then wired it back to the back with RCAs to plug into the amp. Its pretty sensitive so it only takes a small increase to up the output/bass. Most of the range is all at the top end, the rest just kills out the sub completely.

here is a pic.... (oh and yes the knob should be black or red. :irate: i'm working on it). Stole the "6" from the sides 'V6' when i took off the trim molding. :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nice mod. If you want a linear control over the output, you need to get a log taper pot. That should solve the problem of so little of the overall movement controlling so much of the output.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
sweet mod. i love my bass knob. makes it so easy to crank it up to show someone, or turn it down when around town. you don't have to climb in the back and turn knobs, you just reach down at turn it from the dash, or in your case the ash tray.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've used a PAC LC-1 for years. You can remove the electronics from the plastic mounting box and put it anywhere you want to. I have mine in the ashtray also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone!

DaveRulz - i started to look into what you said and after double checking i do have a audio or log taper pot... however after doing some digging i'm starting to think i might have the wiring wrong. I'm going to have to look at it a bit closer and see what i did. Sounds like some people had the same issue as i do (90% of the turn not much change. All in the last 10% of the turn) and it was a wiring concern.

ex. http://www.applefritter.com/node/5439

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been trying to do this mod, but I can't seem to get it right..

Can you confirm that you wired your pot as seen here? (scroll down a bit till u get to the rotary knob section)
http://www.bcae1.com/potentio.htm

I dont have that same radioshack pot, as they don't seem to carry them here in Canada, but I picked up a few various dual-gang pots and have been trying to do this. I believe it's a 50k pot i'm working with, tho I have a few others as well.

The problem I get is when I try to plug this into my LOC and out to the sub, the volume seems to decrease a bit from normal, but turning the knob does nothing.. however, when I tried testing it on the RCA outputs of my sister's gamcube, it worked at least, although turning it counter-clockwise increased the volume, but at least it was a start.

I've flipped the wiring a few times, and I'm starting to get frustrated...

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
This seems like a great option. Now if I was to buy one of these Pots from radio shack and assume it is the 3 prong type what would I do...Number 1 goes to ground....Now what are the In and Out? I would be using this for my dual 10's powered by a 2 channel amp...whats the next move?

·
Registered
165 Posts
This seems like a great option. Now if I was to buy one of these Pots from radio shack and assume it is the 3 prong type what would I do...Number 1 goes to ground....Now what are the In and Out? I would be using this for my dual 10's powered by a 2 channel amp...whats the next move?
[/b]
Since your using an aftermarket HU and seperate amps you can get the PAC LC-1 and run it "inline" using the RCA's between your HU and the amp that powers your subs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
DPSpeed
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing