Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never modded a car in my life, but since I purchased a ms6 in January and have spent a few months reading this forum, I feel compelled to try a few of the basic performance mods you guys mostly seem to agree upon. I absolutely love this car, and want to see what types of gains are possible with a few thousand dollars of extras (<$5000).

My plan so far includes:

1: Cat Back Exhaust
2: CAI
3: BOV
4: Installing a boost gauge.

Filling it with Synthetic Oil (Royal Purple) after 5,000 miles and occasionally using a mixture of high octane fuel.

I am interested in learning what types of gains I can expect from these mods, and whether or not they are worth the added expense. Is CP-E the best source, or should i wait until alternatives become available and are tested? Will the exhaust, intake and BOV mods really produce a noticeable driving difference?

I know this is a bit of a noob question, but assuming I make all of these mods, what type of dyno/performance improvements are possible? Can the ms6 do better than 13 seconds on the 1/4 mile, and 5 seconds 0 - 60, with these modifications? Are there other, relatively easy/inexpensive, mods that I am missing?

Thanks.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
three and four are by no means performance mods..
youll need more than a catback and cai to grab a better than 13sec slip...

·
Registered
583 Posts
the car already has a 13 second slip, but to better that you will need more than a cai and catback. you need to lose the weight.

if you watched the forums you would know all this already. PAY ATTENTION.

and yes the BOV is a performance mod. everyone has said their car doesn't lose boost as soon with that mod and that it pulls more towards red line. that means better performance. READ THE POSTS.

mmmm, i love boost.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
...and yes the BOV is a performance mod. everyone has said their car doesn't lose boost as soon with that mod and that it pulls more towards red line. that means better performance. READ THE POSTS...
[/b]
you need to do more than read posts... blow off valve functionality is by no means a performance mod..
oh... and i too am infatuated with boost..

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your first mod (for any turbo car) should be an accurate boost gauge. Youll see a little gain on the top end from a quality bov. You may want to wait a few months to get used to your current car. Learn how to drive the piss out of the stock setup and get the best times so when you do put some performance mods on youll get an accurate measure of gains. Plus right now there are few choices in aftermarket equipment and within a few months the number of items will go up resulting in better choices. (Not saying what is available now isnt good).

One thing to learn is until you know how to drive the car in its current state to the best it can go, adding mods will just mask the inefficiencies of the driver.

Jason

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
three and four are by no means performance mods..
youll need more than a catback and cai to grab a better than 13sec slip...
[/b]
How can a BOV and a boost gauge not be performance mods? They sure aren't for fuel efficiency or appearance! :p

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
wow great point jason.

amp i think we will have to aggree to disagree. except for the boost part.
[/b]
agreed...
mazda6guy.. my reference to performance equates to power adders...

·
Registered
595 Posts
agreed...
mazda6guy.. my reference to performance equates to power adders...
[/b]

if the stock BOV bleeds off boost too soon, then by adding a better BOV that doesnt bleed off boost until it is supposed to - you will gain more boost higher in the RPM range, and thus more power.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think Jason is right on this one, just hang on a few months to see what is available(FMIC especially). You lucky folks are getting some strong aftermarket support.

If you want better times on the strip, lighter wheels with stickier tires may be in order. What you guys get stock aren't bad, but there is always room for improvement.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can the ms6 do better than 13 seconds on the 1/4 mile, and 5 seconds 0 - 60, with these modifications? Are there other, relatively easy/inexpensive, mods that I am missing?
[/b]
Gut the car out and you'll get better performance improvements than any FMIC, CAI.
Remove the passenger seat, rear seats, spare tire, speakers, radio, air conditioner. Put a lighter battery (in the trunk to balance the car out). Remove the sound proofing material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Stefx
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing