Mazda 6 Forums banner

Base Sport Manual Review

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tickerguy 
#1 ·
I would seriously consider the base Mazda6 Sport with a manual if I could just get heated seats and a sunroof. I don't care at all about the other differences.

Jalopnik Review

#3 · (Edited)
Note that the manual transmission Sport trim (available only in the USA as a 6MT car... no longer available in Canada :( ) does not have the cylinder de-activation that the automatic transmission variant of the non-turbo engine has. That is either an advantage, or a disadvantage, depending on your point of view. Me, I like simple, stupid - I would rather NOT have cylinder de-activation (as for me, it is not yet proven to result in no engine wear ramifications for the de-activated cylinders).... It does save some gasoline, though.

Speaking of the savings of fuel, I think the Energy & Natural Resources fuel economy test in Canada (and possibly the EPA fuel economy test in the 'States) un-naturally lowers the reported fuel economy of manual transmission cars... as it arbitrarily makes the test driver shift gears at certain rpm's (i.e. the test regime). This is unlike what you would typically do if you drove the car normally. Contrast that with the automatic transmission variant, the automatic is left to its own devices. What this means, for instance, is on a down-gradient slope (i.e. going down hill) - normally driving, you would shift your manual transmission to a higher gear, earlier, than the Fuel Economy testing regime would have you shift. It would by contrast make you shift gear at a certain rpm, notwithstanding what the shift-light tells you to do.

This is my understanding, but I cannot vouch that it is correct.

Oh, BTW, I 'kinda worried about the 6MT car no longer would be available in Canada for MY 2018... That's what spurred me to get my '17 GX model, 6MT (my GX is similar to "Sport" trim - but it does not have leather wrapped steering, but DOES have four heated cloth seats, rear camera, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers, federally mandated daytime running lights).

#4 ·
Personally, I'd roll up my own windows if it meant keeping a stick!

Reactions: Rockinbluesron
#6 ·
Anymore left-over '17.5s maybe? Glad I picked up mine in manual Touring trim when I did, but still no moonroof as those were autos version optioned availability only. I did get front heated (pleather) seats with drivers side powered over the sport's cloth and manual adjustments plus some other goodies that I've been enjoying, such as the 19" wheels/tires and auto climate, but the stick is the best (no) option. Mazda did roll a lot of options from the previous Touring in the '18 sport, but would be nice to have some options there for sure.

#7 ·
That's the reason why i got my 2015 at such a good price. It's like manual transmission or better yet driving stick is almost like a lost art.

Reactions: Rockinbluesron
#8 ·
It's stupid that a Sunroof wan't an option for the Touring model or that a Manual wasn't offered in the Grand Touring. It's a lose lose situation.

#9 ·
Personally, I am glad my 2017 Touring did NOT have a sunroof. My 2 previous cars had sunroofs and I opened them maybe once a month in the spring and fall. For me, a sunroof was not important. They are one more source of exterior noise and one more thing to break.

However, I really wish I could have added the lighting and adaptive safety packages. Neither were available with the manual transmission.

As long as packaged trim levels exist, people will always wish for a slightly different mix of options.

#10 ·
The sunroof subtracts about a half-inch of headroom (may or may not matter to you) and adds complexity and maintenance risk. If the headroom doesn't matter and you actually USE it, then good. I never used mine in my Jetta so I didn't miss the cost or complexity on the "6" at all; as far as I'm concerned it's simply a cost-add on a car and yet provides me no value.

YMMV.

#11 ·
I have a 2016 Mazda6 Touring with stickshift. And a sunroof. The sunroof is pretty useless because above 25 mph the wind shudder is unbearable. Whatever spring holds up the factory internal wind deflector may be problematic or just poorly designed: but it's even worse than having the rear windows open above 35mph.

I am also deeply disappointed not to have the good LED headlights, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, etc.

While Mazda is one of the few cars offering a stick-shift, it's extremely frustrating we had to give up so much just to shift for ourselves. Separately, the Mazda6 clutch feels like stepping on a wet sponge and nothing like a proper clutch pedal.

Other cars I considered were the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima. All of those had a nice 240hp 2liter turbo version, but none had any stick shift options. I also considered the Acura, and might go that direction next time. (Did not consider European cars.)

#12 ·
Well I don't get the "more tech" thing, especially at the price demanded.

If you want it, you take it. I don't want it and DEFINITELY don't want to pay to have all that crap fixed WHEN, after less than two years, I run out of warranty. And that crap DOES break.

Adaptive cruise? I could care less. I want to DRIVE THE CAR. If I can't be bothered to tap the up and down buttons once in a while with a PROPER following distance then maybe I ought to give up driving AT ALL.

Headlights? Do the halogen retrofit; 2 minutes and $20, and replacement bulbs are $10 each. You won't want the LED lights any more. Burn out an LED (yes, they DO have a service life and DO burn out) out of warranty and I hope you have a tube of KY with you when you go to get the replacement. I did it with my car and I have ZERO complaints with the headlights -- and I don't blast oncoming drivers either.

I've got 160,000 miles on my 2016 6-Sport MTX. I love the thing. It gets great fuel economy, it's comfortable, I fit a NICE audio system (not a boom-box thing, real audio quality) with a 120Gb SSD up under the glove box and my entire audio collection -- in FLAC -- fits on it. I regularly do 12+ hour road-trip style drives, often two back-to-back to get where I want to go.

I've owned a fair number of cars in my life including some quite-expensive ones (Volvo 850T to name one) and even without accounting for price I prefer the Mazda. When price is taken into account it's no contest.

If Mazda can't make something nowdays that hits the value:fun equation for me then when I finally wear out something expensive in my "6" I'll buy some other make and model. That'll be a shame but I'm not loyal to brand names -- I'm loyal to sensible DRIVER'S vehicles that are easy to take half-way across the country on a lark and actually ENJOY the trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.