Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 madza 6 and when I am stopped and start moving I hear a banging noise when my car shifts into second gear is it my transmission or vaccum hose

·
Registered
479 Posts
I own a 2004 madza 6 and when I am stopped and start moving I hear a banging noise when my car shifts into second gear is it my transmission or vaccum hose
It could be a number of things. I would start with the mounts. When they get worn the engine and trans will rock and when shifting you would notice it because it's going from a high rpm to a low rpm.

It could also be CV joints. Make sure the boots are not torn and there is little to no play in the joints by holding the axle and twisting the joint. You can do this while they are still in place.

It's best if you jack up the car and take a look to see what's going on. If the engine is looking like its sagging off to the side then you know it's a mount issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can anticipate the times that it's going to bang, let off the accelerator and allow it to shift into second. My 04 6s occasionally will do this. I've been trying to dial it in to figure out exactly what it is. Seems to happen when slowly moving and taking a left turn from a stop. It will over-rev in 1st then throw real hard with a bang into 2nd.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I also believe it could be a mount.
An easy way to check it is to rock the vehicle back and forth (engine off, parking brake off, in Park). Depending how hard you rock it, you should hear it... and see the engine moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts