Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In OZ the MOTOR magazine runs its BFYB ...Overall the MPS(6) sucks (a figure based on a factor of price..expensive in OZ) but look at these lap times of Oran Park Northern circuit...a handling track with no long straights...(in seconds)
Lotus Exige S 34.8
EVO 9 35.2
STi 35.5
Cayman S 35.6
Z4 M Roadster 36.1
Audi RS4 36.4
Falcon Typhoon 36.5
350Z 36.6
MPS (MS6) 36.8
SS Commodore 36.8
R32 Golf 37.3
Falcon XR6T 37.4
MPS 3 37.4
Liberty GT Spec B 37.5
Megane F1 37.5
WRX 37.5
Commodore SV6 37.8
Focus XR5 38.1
Golf GTi 38.1
BMW 130i 38.3
Astra SRi Turbo 38.4
Ralliart Colt Turbo 39.0
VW Polo Gti 39.1

I thought it was very impressive that an RS4 was only 0.4 sec quicker than the MPS(6)

Warren Luff (V8 Supercar Driver and TW!) summarised the MPS(6)...
"...The MPS6 has good balance; you can carry speed into the corner and still use the throttle to steer mid corner. Ease off when understeering and it responds quickly. Tyre match is very good. Great power, too. Like the WRX it has a great drive off a corner..."
At least his comments are from a bloke who can at least drive!

Others weren't so kind...
"....And here on my right is the MPS, unknown to legal reporting(?), unexceptional in specifuication, undistinguished in reputation and unremarkable in appearence save its Aunt Betty in a bikini arse end that does neither it nor the observerer any favours..."

Comparing the WRX with the MPS(6) the final quote..."Hang on a minute...It's the Mazda!" WE KNOW!!!

I for one love the arse end of my MPS(6) and find the car very handsome....I also like that fact that it is a sleeper!

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah, i dont see how anyone would think that its ugly. Everyone that has seen mine loves the looks. Maybe they just rate it bad because mazda doesnt pay them for advertising. Thats my theory

·
Registered
967 Posts
yeah, i dont see how anyone would think that its ugly. Everyone that has seen mine loves the looks. Maybe they just rate it bad because mazda doesnt pay them for advertising. Thats my theory
[/b]
A lady called my car "gorgeous" the other day. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
This is what I like best about your post:

350Z 36.6
MPS (MS6) 36.8

Our car is only .2 secs slower on a road course than a dedicated 2 door sports car! 'Nuff said :)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
This is what I like best about your post:

350Z 36.6
MPS (MS6) 36.8

Our car is only .2 secs slower on a road course than a dedicated 2 door sports car! 'Nuff said :)
[/b]
Note that MPS is AWD while 350Z is only FR.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
wonder how the 3 MPS would fare. it's pretty cheap compared to the 6 MPS but has nearly the same engine.
[/b]
Falcon XR6T 37.4
MPS 3 37.4
Liberty GT Spec B 37.5

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The ironic part is, back in september issue where they tested all these cars for the PCOTY (performance car of the year) on the same track, the MPS/MS 6 lacks behind all the WRX/MX5/MPS3 in a small margin. But this time around the 6 are up front perhaps due to the slightly dam track. The same thing for the 0-100/400m test where the 6 trounce the above mentioned car in PCOTY, but this time around it got kicked in the backside by these cars. Perhaps it has to do the time and the driver of the day :)

These are the infos for comparision.

This is the short, configured 8 track.

[EDIT] The MPS/MS 3 rates very favourbly just behind the SS commodore, EVO9 and the WRX-STI. It is diffinitely the pick if one is looking for bang for the buck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'M6Gr8'

How do you manage to load photos in the reply ...everytime I try it won't let me????

I'd like to see the southern track used, long straights and the famous dogleg...the comparison would favour the more powerful cars.

it is man, its sleek looking. I love everything about it except the rims. I probably will have rx-8's soon.
[/b]
I have the RX-8 rims ...suit the car so much....needs lowering 30mm!

·
Registered
267 Posts
'M6Gr8'

How do you manage to load photos in the reply ...everytime I try it won't let me????

I'd like to see the southern track used, long straights and the famous dogleg...the comparison would favour the more powerful cars.
I have the RX-8 rims ...suit the car so much....needs lowering 30mm!
[/b]
yeah man, Im looking for a good deal as we speak.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Daridari, you need to firstly upload your pics to a server of your choice then link it to this forum with the following link:

[:img:] your url for the pic which links to your server [:/img:] (without the quotation marks inside the bracket)

Or easier is to just click on the green tree looking icon on the advance reply typing box ( it will highlighted as : Title : insert image ) then paste your pic's url on the next popup screen once you click on it.

Back on topic. The South circuit is really good for cars like ours which has fair a bit of power but lack the maneuverabiltiy of the lighter car as it has some longer sweeper and straight. We did the Mazda advance driving program in the South Circuit and really love it there. Hope to go back there sometimes for the performance level :)

Have you enrolled in yours yet?

·
Registered
249 Posts
6.7s 0-100km and 14.6s 0-400m for our MPS seems not acceptable. I reckon the driver didn't get used to the clutch for proper launch.

May be next time we can try the north circuit, M6GR8.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, BCMPS, love to take a spin on the North circuit next time and hopefully the whole grandprix circuit for that matter :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Still comparing MS6 with EVO / STI... *sigh*... I guess if they compare ALL vehicles...

However... This is a terrible comparison.. because the MS6 has a LOT.. and i mean a fucking LOT that the EVO and STI doesn't...

Evo's and STI's are very similar... ride comfort.. creature comforts.. options.. bla bla bla.. they are very similar... MS6 has LOT more... but pays for it with less performance... So when they say "omg evo ownz MS6..." I think.. yeah well when I drive my boss to lunch... I ownz evo and sti!

They need to start putting rally only vehicles in their own fucking class... If the vehicle has a model that comes w/o a stero... It shouldn't be compared with vehicles who only have stereos...

Speed6 might rate lower than EVO9 or STI on the track times.. but we get to subtract a few seconds for still having our teeth in our mouth after hitting a speed bump... and a few more seconds for the navigation that got us to our destination on time w/o any mixups... and a yet a few more seconds for our passengers enjoying the ride to... wherever... AND doing it damn fucking quickly...

Anyway... My friend has EVO9... and I can keep up just fine... everywhere we go... On the track he's got some speed on me... But guess who everyones wants to ride with when we go the 55 miles to see Imax films?

·
Registered
97 Posts
and a 6 gets you what... a larger, heavier car with a wider turning circle, less cargo room, and less mpg...

if i was concerned about awd, i'd go with a real mechanical awd -- not an electronic FWD biased awd.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
But even the Haldex AWD is netting better launches than the pure FWD MS3/MPS3. It will also prove to be better still in wet and snowy conditions.

More backseat room and cargo space... how much do you have in the MS3/MPS3 if you leave the cover on? Anything taller will start to impede your rear view.

·
Registered
267 Posts
and a 6 gets you what... a larger, heavier car with a wider turning circle, less cargo room, and less mpg...

if i was concerned about awd, i'd go with a real mechanical awd -- not an electronic FWD biased awd.
[/b]
Not everyone wants a baby car. Im 6'3, I barely fit in MS6. Thats precisely why I didnt bother with an evo or sti. Dont feel safe driving in a tuna can. My MS6 is my first car(because All I have had is trucks because of my height)and I couldnt drive a smaller car. You can make fun of the front biased awd but I have tried my hardest to break the front tires loose and it works perfect. So, what can you say about it, if it works. If they made the MS3 in a sedan, I might buy one for my wife so I could drive it to the store every now and then. But, I cant say much about the MS3, Its gonna be a great little car and is definitely gonna give the ugly ass dodge caliber srt a run for it money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts