Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the XTEC kit, BTW. I plan on mounting the ballast underneath the headlight assembly(I read somewhere on here that it will fit perfectly, correct?) with screws but the kit did not supply any. My question is, what type of screws should I buy? Can anyone who has mounted them with screws tell me which type of screw will fit best? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
screws?? i dont think u can screw the ballast.... where r u going to screw them? on the black plastic? not recommended... too thin.,..us TO6ers use the supplied 3M double-adhesive plus some zip ties to mount the ballast underneath the headlight...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
screws?? i dont think u can screw the ballast.... where r u going to screw them? on the black plastic? not recommended... too thin.,..us TO6ers use the supplied 3M double-adhesive plus some zip ties to mount the ballast underneath the headlight...
[/b]
...supplied 3M double-adhesive... that would have been nice, but I did not receive any:( I thought there was something wrong with that when all I received were 2 ballasts and no way to mount them. I saw the holes and figured I could just screw them in somewhere but I guess I can't do that. I have never looked under the headlight assembly, I just read that that was some place you could mount the ballast. Anyway thanks for the responses, I guess it's off to Staples for some tape.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Home Depot today, bought some mounting tape and some zip ties. Back of the tape says it holds up to 5 pounds, hopefully that will be enough.

Question: Doesn't the ballast get pretty hot? It won't burn off the adhesive or anything like that will it? I just want it done right the 1st time so I don't have to take the bumper off again until the next mod. Also, I don't want any suprises with things rattling around in there.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It may or may not hold. Temperature and humdity fluctuations may degrade the adhesive and over time it may fall off. Since you are in NY, the winter season may kill the tape. The best way is to bolt it on somehow, even if that means you need to fabricate a bracket to make it work. Remember, there are 3 mounting holes, which were designed for Bosch Gen 2 ballast, under the headlight. You can probably come up with something that will bolt to those holes. Also, I don't know how well the ballasts that you have are sealed, but some dirt and water does get inside the wheel well flap. Look at the condition of the bottom of the headlight when you remove it and you will see.

Alan

·
Registered
704 Posts
My ballasts are in the same exact spot as AzMz6. On the passenger side, there are two holes in the frame...perfect for running zip ties through. I had to drill the drivers side. I used supplied tape and zip ties..they aren't going anywhere

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I put my ballasts on the sides of the bumper cumple posts. I used 3m tape and the largest zip ties Lowes had, which fit around the 4 sides and the ballast.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I put my ballasts on the sides of the bumper cumple posts. I used 3m tape and the largest zip ties Lowes had, which fit around the 4 sides and the ballast.
[/b]
Next time you have your bumper off, I'd reccommend moving them. That is not a good place to have them mounted

·
Registered
309 Posts
i drilled holes and used sheet metal screws... as seen in these pics...
[/b]

Looking at your install is like deva vu! I used the exact same instal locations with sheet metal screws as well. I am in MN so they made it through the cold winter, 8 months and no issues. Knock on wood. :drive:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the Apexcone kit and I used the tape and mounted them underneath the headlights but the tape seemed to let go and now they have fallen off. With the Apex kit it doesnt come with mounting holes so how would you suggest holding them in place better and where?
THanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
t_mo_t
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing