Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a ball joint remover that will work for our vehicle. This is the same one used for Ford Fusions and Mercury Milans. It is made by OTC and the model number is 204-592.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i bought one at harbor freight for 20bucks yesterday but it doesn't look like that one. similar though. it work perfect yesterday. though for the bottom two ball joint u will have to grind it wider for it to fit.

Reactions: HoustonMazdaUST

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually have two of these. Don't ask why. I bought this one for under $100 and one that comes in a kit TKIT-2006C-F/FM/FLM for about $100 for Ford Fusions, both on ebay. This ball joint remover is for the lower control arms. No cutting required.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Harbor freight will not work for our car as it does not fit. Even if you grind it, if the ball joint is stuck on there pretty hard, it will break it. Trust me I broke two.

The other OTC one on amazon however, is wide enough and is much stronger. With a little heat and slight tap, it came out in a breeze. Its much cheaper too. 40 dollars!

OTC BALL JOINT SEPERATOR

Well worth 40 dollars. Or extra 20 dollars compared to the HF one.

----

i never knew this was an issue. the one ive owned for years, and even before i bought my mazda6 worked just fine when i had to do mine.
Having done it with and without a ball joint separator, I prefer the ball joint separator route. It's effortless when you use the OTC one.

Without the ball joint, you need to jack up with enough clearance to whack it, heat it up with a torch, whack it 100 times, and then hope it comes out.

Reactions: Sean486

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you know the throat width of the amazon one? I live in NZ and can't source OTC quickly so am trying to find a similar spec one here, most of the throats are too narrow, I figure it needs to be around 28mm?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tried it on the biggest ball joint we have and it sits in there perfectly. It also works well on the upper joint and steering rack joint.

No modification needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perfect, sounds like what I am after, but are you able to measure the width of the throat gap for me so I know what I am looking for? I don't have time to order this one from the States so am trying to find something similar here.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm surprised that one fit. I also have that one and the jaw gap was not big enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lol i used a hammer and beat them out. But you have to put a nut on there so you dont hit the threads and screw them up

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm surprised that one fit. I also have that one and the jaw gap was not big enough.
I was pretty surprised too. I wanted something better than the harbor freight one and with the reviews on amazon, I gave it a try.

I was able to crank it further than what the harbor fright ones could handle but stopped. I didn't want it to break. So I took a hammer and tapped at it for a couple of seconds and it popped off. Talk about effortless. I had the same results on the second ball joint.

Lol i used a hammer and beat them out. But you have to put a nut on there so you dont hit the threads and screw them up
Like I said, much less effort. I had one that was stubborn and it required mapp gas and lots of beating to remove. This tool = less body aches the next day. And for 40 dollars, I was quite happy with this purchase.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Any way to make a normal, giant c clamp work to press it out?

·
Registered
402 Posts
what is the torque spec on the bottom nut? i know its, 120 for the top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm finally getting around to doing mine (tires are wearing really bad and the creaking noise is getting horrendous)...

I have a BFH, but still no luck in banging out the ball joint. I've buggered it up pretty bad already...

Going to try pickle fork, heat torch, keep beating at it some more. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts