Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First post here.
Even though I went through the forum and used search function I would like to ask once again so I will not mess anything during my rebuild of my MS6 engine.
The engine is out, rods and pistons are out and I had to take the balance shaft out of the way.
My question is how to time the balance shaft in the exact same postition where I took it from?
So far I found out crank in cyl. 1 to TDC, spots on the balance shafts perpendicular to crankcase and then mount it with bolts. How do I keep the balance shafts locked?? I know how to lock the crank with the locking pin but not sure about the BS and how accurate this should be.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the factory workshop manual... likely not, if you are asking. Does anyone have it - so as to help?
I have it, but I wasnt able to find it so far. Search function doesnt work. If anyone can tell me the page or section I would be glad.

484 Posts
Rotate the crank until the number 1 cylinder is at top dead center. Make sure to replace the adjustment shims exactly as they came out, on the seat faces of the balance shaft assembly. Line up the marks on the end of the shafts to the marks on the housing. This puts the balance shafts in TDC position. Slowly lower the unit onto the engine block and install the bolts. Then tighten the bolts, in an x pattern to 18 lb-ft, followed by a final torque of 37 lb-ft. Finally, rotate the crank to ensure there are no problems with the gears meshing. You may refer to a factory service manual for detailed instructions and illustrations of the installation.

484 Posts
I copy pasted this from a different forum regarding Mazda L 2.3L engine, same as yours but without turbo

NOTE - I am not sure If those are the correct torque specs for your engine. I just did a simple google search regarding balance shafts.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I copy pasted this from a different forum regarding Mazda L 2.3L engine, same as yours but without turbo

NOTE - I am not sure If those are the correct torque specs for your engine. I just did a simple google search regarding balance shafts.
In other words.. like most of his posts don't pay any attention to them for fear of screwing something up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all guys. Will do as stated (crank at TDC, marks on the BS pointing up). Shims stayed where they belong during disassembly, so this will be no problem.
Thanks again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts