Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone baked the headlamps in teh Speed6 yet?

I know we gotthe HID ballast 'integrated' in the housing.

Not sure if this can be thrown into the oven as well or if anyone has done something else?

Any info/helpis appreciated. I am thinking about installing the angel eyes. I had themin the 6 and everyone loved them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
yea actually I was wondering the same thing, had them on my old 6i and it looked pretty sharp.

In the electronic forum awhile ago, someone said they used a blade to cut it open...I think that was the best way to do it.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...=47056&st=0

You can pm the guy if you want, I asked in the topic but it died.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Excuse the "noob" question, but why would you bake your headlights?

Wouldn't that yellow the plastic and make it weaker?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Theres blank "gunk" that secures the housing from getting moisture inside, or atleast and major stuff.

You need to bake it to get the gunk soft enough to split the housing apart to be able to work on the housing, for either hid (regular 6), angel eyes, or painting the housing (if it's chrome).

The housing doesn't become yellow nor do I think it becomes weaker. I'm pretty sure they "bake" on a very hot day in some states...but that's just an assumption.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ah, I see, thanks. So the baking is used to get the lamps apart.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct, we bake the housing to melt the glue that holds the lens to the housing. Removing them allows us to paint the inside (blacken on the 6 and chrome out/color match in the Speed6), or in my case, install angel eyes.

One method that crossed my mind was using a hair dryer... along the lines to melt the glue, and use a blade to tear it apart. I'm in Florida, its hotter than summer right now, thats for sure. I'll give it a try on Thursday.

Today,I'm goign to attempt to install my Autodimming/homelink mirror. It's much more time consuming than I thought.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I thought about this but don't want to mess up the HID components.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I thought about doing this for the daemon eyes, but then wondered what the heck you do when one of them burns out. Baking the lights is not something I want to do more than once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts