Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to bake my headlights and install some Halos and painted bezels. I already have eyelids on my current headlights and would like to keep those on (not take them off) but still have to bake them in order to install the others>

So here's my question:
If I bake my headlights with my eyelids on, will anything bad happed to the eyelids (i.e. paint coming off, them losing form, etc)?

I'd really rather not take them off, cuz I put them on with a bunch of 3m auto-tape and I know it would be a PITA and a mess to try.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Nope, they should be fine. Mine were.

Really, your putting it in the oven at such a low temperature, the headlights are used to that anyway just being on your car on a hot day. I bet the eyelids, between the beating sun and the heat of the engine bay, get damn near 200 degrees almost every day.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Nope, they should be fine. Mine were.

Really, your putting it in the oven at such a low temperature, the headlights are used to that anyway just being on your car on a hot day. I bet the eyelids, between the beating sun and the heat of the engine bay, get damn near 200 degrees almost every day.
[/b]
agreed

ever pop your hood after you have been driving for a while and rest your hand on the headlight?? yeah, that shit burns. :nono:

when you pull them out of the oven and you take the foil off, you can pretty much handle them withjust your hands, you might have to wait a minute, though. you're just warming up the glue enough to make it easier to pry apart.

unless you have vinyl eyelids, you will be okay.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it's a relief! I got the silvia part's eyelids so I should be good to go. Now I just need the time!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
To add to this I also need to bake my headlights to install the halos, but on top of having the yelids I nalso have rockblocker on there am I ok to bake them as well or do I need to take em off? Thanks

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there only vinyl, so I would suspect they would probably peel or bubble woth baking.

·
Registered
98 Posts
FWIW,

My Oven was too small to fit my Headlights in back when I did my HID Retrofit. believe it or not, I used a simple HAIR Dryer.. It worked great!. The Sealant/RTV that the factory uses is some really soft material and it didn't take much heat to open it. You could probably even set it out in the sun for an hour and peel it open. Once you get it started it just peels back like a bannana.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Cool that saves me from spending another 50 bucks for more rockblocker. I suppose a heat gun would be even better as long as I keep the blast of the heat away from the rockblocker material. Good to know man I initially thought that should work also but I didnt want to be caught in a jam with everything apart and I cant get the damn headlights open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Hockyguy171
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing