Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I scuffed up my rer bumper a bit, and need touch-up paint (see other thread). Then a little while ago as I was driving on I-95 from work, something hits my windshield and cracks the bastard. I've got ahuge star, with about seven cracks coming from the center. It's about the size of a quarter. :irate: All on a car less than a month old. :tear:

Called MetLife and they are going to have the glass company come out and try to repair it. If not, it has to be replaced. And I read a thread around here that says the Speed6 front glass is different than the Mazda 6s, and my insurance company has my car listed as a 6s... so I have to deal with that also.

Man.. when a week sucks.. it sucks bad.

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Three days after i got my velocity red MS6 - it was hit in a parking lot when I was eating at a restaurant. Thankfully the guy left a note on the car with his information. Bumper was replaced, but its not an absolutely perfect color match. Oh well...I still love it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
1 month after I got mine I got one hell of a ding on my door from a careless ass parked next to me... Thank god for Dent Wizard

·
Registered
201 Posts
First I scuffed up my rer bumper a bit, and need touch-up paint (see other thread). Then a little while ago as I was driving on I-95 from work, something hits my windshield and cracks the bastard. I've got ahuge star, with about seven cracks coming from the center. It's about the size of a quarter. :irate: All on a car less than a month old. :tear:

Called MetLife and they are going to have the glass company come out and try to repair it. If not, it has to be replaced. And I read a thread around here that says the Speed6 front glass is different than the Mazda 6s, and my insurance company has my car listed as a 6s... so I have to deal with that also.

Man.. when a week sucks.. it sucks bad.
[/b]
Mazda6guy: Mine ended up being about $425 installed and the windshield does need to come from Mazda just like the above thread above says. Mine was finally installed on Monday of this week... it took about a week for it to arrive.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Allan

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow... those are some bad weeks. Now I feel better.

Well here's an update. I have glass coverage in my insurance, like many comprehensive policies do. No deductible. And they can't raise my rate because I made a glass claim.

Triumph Auto Glass is coming out to my job to inspect the damage. There is a possibility that they can repair it . I don't understand that one, but if they can get it 90% repaired, that would be satisfactory to me. It's on the lower left corner, about 3 inches from the pillar. So it's not in my direct line of view.

First I wanted the dealer to do the fix. However, the adjuster said that although I have the choice, I would be responsible for the difference in price if the dealer doesn't accept what MetLife pays for glass replacement since they are not an authorized repair center.

I'm going to "venture out on a limb" and say that the dealer would charge some ridiculous install fee, so I went with Triumph Auto Glass since they will order the glass from the dealer and install it with no cost to me.

My problem will be when they see my coverage lists Mazda6s and they actually need a windshield for a Mazdaspeed6, because of the different VIN window. I hope they order the glass by the VIN if they have to replace it. I'll make sure I mention the difference to them.

Sheesh. Also, note to Mazda. Altthough the term "speed" sounds good in the branding of your performance model, it doesn't sound good at all when your trying to give the model name to your insurance company.

·
Registered
979 Posts
you are better off getting a new windshield.... Do not have them just fix the cracks they will just reform once some little pebble comes and hits it....

·
Registered
856 Posts
A week and a half after I got mine, someone backed into the rear bumper removing paint... grrr

My insurance card says "2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 4D" based in VIN alone.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A week and a half after I got mine, someone backed into the rear bumper removing paint... grrr

[/b]
Yeah, apparently insurance companies are lagging behind in getting their VIN databases updated. Some are listing the Mazdaspeed6 as a model, and some are just putting it under 6s until the database is updated. Apparently, MetLife is is lagging behind. I assume they are because my dealer sent my insurance agent the paperwork for the Mazdaspeed6 and it had the VIN and everything on it. The problem is also that some agents confuse Mazdaspeed6 with 6s. Perhaps they assume the "s" stands for Speed.

BTW, MetLife doesn't actually cover the glass themselves. They outsource the coverage to another company called Linc "something" in Kentucky. Although a MetLife adjuster has to approve the claim. I assume most of the larger insurers do this.

[/b]
How did you fix it?

·
Registered
856 Posts
How did you fix it?
[/b]
I didn't yet, I was quoted $960 for the repair without using insurance. My wallet is still feeling the pain from the purchase so I figured I could live with it for a bit. I'm hoping my free touch-up paint will arrive one of these days....that will help.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't yet, I was quoted $960 for the repair without using insurance. My wallet is still feeling the pain from the purchase so I figured I could live with it for a bit. I'm hoping my free touch-up paint will arrive one of these days....that will help.
[/b]
Do you have a pic around? Now I am curious. basically, the shop wants to paint the entire bumper over it seems. Which could be worse because then the color might not be perfect.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Both shops wanted to replace the bumper since the impact warped it and broke a mounting clip. Thats where most of the cost came from.

Paint matching is my major concern as well especially with the metallic mazdaspeed paints.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For anybody that owned insurance on a 6s and now the mazdaspeed:

What was the insurance increase from the 6s to the mazdaspeed? I really want to purchase one in a few months, but I'm 23, and I have a feeling my insurance could skyrocket. Sorry its off topic, but I seen the issue with insurance companies.

·
Registered
856 Posts
For anybody that owned insurance on a 6s and now the mazdaspeed:

What was the insurance increase from the 6s to the mazdaspeed? I really want to purchase one in a few months, but I'm 23, and I have a feeling my insurance could skyrocket. Sorry its off topic, but I seen the issue with insurance companies.
[/b]
I'm 21 and came from a $20k "2 door sport coupe." My rates went up about $15 a month for the speed6. "4 door sedan" looks a lot better, but I believe the major difference is that the car costs about $10k more.
It could also be that the VIN turns up "4-2.3L-T" and I think we all know what that T stands for....
I just wonder how much of a difference it makes to insurance companies.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm 21 and came from a $20k "2 door sport coupe." My rates went up about $15 a month for the speed6. "4 door sedan" looks a lot better, but I believe the major difference is that the car costs about $10k more.
It could also be that the VIN turns up "4-2.3L-T" and I think we all know what that T stands for....
I just wonder how much of a difference it makes to insurance companies.
[/b]
my mom is my insurance agent. the car index for the ms6 is 23. equivalent to an acura TL. a new 6s would be a 21 if i remember correctly. the higher the index, the more expensive. a new lexus is250 is a 29 index, equivalent to a g35. a ferrari enzo is a 51.

edit: almost forgot. this is california and all states have different insurance laws and prices. check with your insurance agent before buying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Wiggum
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing