Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Mazda 6s Wagon 2005.

When I have the air circulating from outside and I come to a stop, I immediately get a bad smell (like exhaust gas) coming into the car.

It does not happen when the car is moving or when I am circulate inside air.

Any clues how I could fix this? Do the fumes from the anti-freeze "surplus" tank smell similar to exhaust fume? I know there is a mod that i could do for this but I am not sure if this is the problem.

Also, I changed the air filter recently.

Thanks

Vani

·
Registered
859 Posts
There's a TSB that has your symptom, but I'm not sure if it applies to your vehicle.

2003 MAZDA6 FUEL ODOR INSIDE VEHICLE (RECALL CAMPAIGN #1403L)

fwiw, I can also smell a bit of sulphur when I first start my engine in the morning.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak too..

·
Registered
71 Posts
What about your cabin air filter? My car smelt like sulfur and ass then i changed my cabin air filter then no more problem!

and yes ydrone, very nice picture.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Usual suspect to check for is a crack in an exhaust manifold or line, which would let exhaust into the space around your cabin air intake. But generally you would hear extra noise if something like this had happened.

One other idea, if you recently changed the oil, you may have oil on the exhaust manifold (because of the absolutely stupid oil filter location), and could be getting burnt oil fumes from that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
uhhhhhhh ydrone you go girl, with that sweet ass pic. but i would have to agree with nardvark on the oil change theory, everytime i change my oil i smell the burning oil coming through my vents. the oil filter location does realy suck. the smell goes away when its done cookin off of the manifold. an exhaust leak that was real bad may smell in the cabin at a red light but if it was that bad you would probably be able to hear it also, at least outside the car. or maybe the oil filter is leaking oil, the seal could be leaking, especially if you overheated recently, or maybe its just not tight enough.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I always had this smell even after the oil was changed months before. Cabin air filter was changed 8 months ago. That did not fix the problem.

Regarding "Usual suspect to check for is a crack in an exhaust manifold or line, which would let exhaust into the space around your cabin air intake",

I don't think my car is making excessive noise. On the other hand, I have never heard the engine of another Mazda 6s v6. So I can't really compare. How do I actually check for a crack in an exhaust manifold or line?

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, if I don't find the exhause leak, is there an easy way redirect the air intake to the cabin?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Other than a thorough visual inspection, I'm not sure of a good method. If it's big enough, you should be able to feel the hot air coming out at a crack.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get the exhaust smell anymore. I have changed the cabin filter But I really doubt that fixed the problem. I will have to wait and see. May be this happens only in winter???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts